Stupid Jaime Lannister... (spoilers)

Arya_Stark666

He's despicable. He's loathsome. He's a murderer. And... he's likeable. How irritating.

Joffrey definitely inherited his expression. You know, that one that says "I need to be slapped". I wanted to. Ohh, for the longest time all I needed was to reach inside the book and smack them upside the head.

AND THEN...

Joffrey got his. That was great! I, to quote GRRM, was so excited "to see that little shit die". One Lannister down, too many to go.

Just when I thought Jaime was done in, he lives, and not only lives, but lives to save Brienne. His first massive change of heart. My reaction: Jaime might really have a real friend?! :o

Then we get to King's Landing. I was expecting something horrible. I could see Brienne's head on the spike already. He saves her again! And he biggest shock of my life - Cersei basically tells him to get lost, and his father disowns him! You can see how hurt he is. After all the crap he goes through and he gets kicked back out again. Apparently not even Lannisters are safe from Lannisters!

Stupid Jaime. How dare he make me feel sorry for him. But that's another reason I love GRRM. He can make you feel for even the most loathsome characters. I'm eager to start Feast For Crows to see what he does.

I only hate him for what he did to Bran, all the other shit is forgiven, since I know the true story about Aerys and why he murdered him. But yeah, he's become one of my favorite characters.

He's despicable. He's loathsome. He's a murderer. And... he's likeable. How irritating.

I feel ya! In such instances I like to circumvent such irritations with my own logic, rendering me "troll proof" from GRRM =)

So in this instance, I might think....

If Jaime hadn't had tried to murder Bran > Cat wouldn't have captured Tyrion > Jaimie wouldn't have confronted Ned > Ned wouldn't have broken his leg > Ned would have gone to uphold his morals of doing his own killing and been led into the Lannister ambush (assuming Tywin would have made a likely successful cover up of Ned's death out in the wild and in any case he would have died in duty and not as being framed a treasonous traitor) > Ned wouldn't have been beheaded in the sept > Robb wouldn't have got pissed and captured Jaime (who'd likely wouldn't have fled Kings Landing in the first place if he wasn't avoiding having to answer for the attack of Ned) > Jaime would still have his hand (and hence still been one of the most feared warriors in Westeros) & Cersei wouldn't have had to pork every Tom, Dick & Harry and break Jaime's heart.

And Bran's parents found out the incest anyhow whilst Stannis scattered word of it to every corner of Westeros.

And so therefore Jaime screwed himself and that makes everything okay ^_^

I know I can't believe I actualy like him now, I never thought that would happen. I wonder who I liked at first and I may not end up liking them when Martain is done.

Beware some people defend him pushing Bran out of the window around here, and others want to crucify him for Aerys.

I was never more suprised by a turn GRRM took with a character than what he did with Jaime. I couldn't possibly have hated him more and was seriously hoping Catelyn was going to shove that sword through his throat at the end of Clash. Thank the gods she didn't! He's now my second favorite character : )

Yup, Jaime becomes far more likeable in ASOS, but that's because we finally get his POV. Its much easier to relate to a character when you know the morale behind their actions.Maybe some would even like Joffrey if he had a POV.

I guess he somehow wanted to prove himself, and be a good king, unlike his 'father' (who was constantly drunk).

Maybe some would even like Joffrey if he had a POV.

Bwah! Now that's just crazy talk. ;)

Seriously, though. I truly could not stand Jaime before ASoS! I, too, wanted him dead...BOY am I glad he didn't die. The scene where he is telling Brienne about Aerys and what really happened is one of my favorite scenes in the series. I can't forgive him for Bran, but his agony over loosing his fighting hand, is a start. :cool4: It's funny how he took Bran's love for climbing away by paralyzing him. Then, now his love for fighting was taken away because he lost his sword hand. I like how everything comes around full circle in this series.

He only becomes more awesome as the series progresses.

I used to hate Sansa too. She seemed like such a brat... and even though she can be so stupid you just want to shake her and yell, I still feel sorry for her haha Anyway, Jaime certainly grows on you!

I thought it was nice to see how he actually does care about his family, since he's always been portrayed as such an ass... especially what he did to Tyrion when they were younger. I felt so bad, hearing that Jaime was like "I always loved him, I tried to stick up for him". Tywin is just a horrible father. He probably told Jaime not to let Tyrion corrupt him.

I agree completely Chelly. I just couldn't get over the fact that he pushed Bran out the window! BUT now Jaime is a cripple too. He's useless with a sword now, so his dreams with the Kingsguard died just as much as Bran's did. Plus is he hadn't done that, Bran never would have become a warg, so there was definitely some justice in that.

I really can't wait for AFFC! I was naughty and I peeked to see which characters were in it. I can't lie, I did a little happy dance to see that 2 were Jaime and Brienne.

I used to hate Sansa too. She seemed like such a brat... and even though she can be so stupid you just want to shake her and yell, I still feel sorry for her haha Anyway, Jaime certainly grows on you!

I thought it was nice to see how he actually does care about his family, since he's always been portrayed as such an ass... especially what he did to Tyrion when they were younger. I felt so bad, hearing that Jaime was like "I always loved him, I tried to stick up for him". Tywin is just a horrible father. He probably told Jaime not to let Tyrion corrupt him.

I agree completely Chelly. I just couldn't get over the fact that he pushed Bran out the window! BUT now Jaime is a cripple too. He's useless with a sword now, so his dreams with the Kingsguard died just as much as Bran's did. Plus is he hadn't done that, Bran never would have become a warg, so there was definitely some justice in that.

I really can't wait for AFFC! I was naughty and I peeked to see which characters were in it. I can't lie, I did a little happy dance to see that 2 were Jaime and Brienne.

I finished AFFC a few weeks ago, and if you enjoy a more political-minded book, with less action, you're going to love it.

I've always hated Cersei more than Jaime, because she seems way more cold-blooded, but then when she was talking to Ned and he was telling her that he was going to expose their incest, she rationalised their actions about Bran, and how it was always about protecting her children, and that made me at least understand where she was coming from. And knowing how well Jaime knows Cersei, I understand that he would've known that too, and so I can see how doing that to Bran was just Jaime's way of protecting Cersei in the only way he could. And in the tv series, and book too I guess, Tyrion speaks fondly of him, and it's really hard to not completely absorb everything Tyrion says, since anyone Tyrion thinks highly of, is obviously awesome by association!

But Jaime has really grown enormously. As much as I wanted for him to go back for Brienne at Harrenhal, i didn't actually expect him to. Then he purposefully defied his father, even after we learnt how much he resented only being named a member of the Knightsguard so Aerys could annoy his father. It's definitely easier to empathise with a character when you get to hear things from their side of the story, though... now I'm curious to see whether or not Cersei will ever have a chapter and whether or not that will redeem her.

You know, reading this third book, getting to know Jaime through his own point of view chapters, it looks to me as though pushing Bran out the window was actually the very worst thing Jaime ever did. And it was how we were introduced to him. So, GRRM played us there. He knew this man was actually not-a-bad-man: occasionally a bit of a bastard; certainly arrogant; slightly twisted view of brother-sister relationships; as a knight, no stranger to killing; but overall, not a terrible person. Except he pushed Bran out a window.

Even when you consider the justification that he was doing it to protect his own family, it's still a terrible thing to do.

That said, it is the very WORST thing we see Jaime doing, and then of course we find out that the very WORST thing everyone in Westeros knows he did (killing Aerys), and for which he is daily abused and sneered at, was actually an act of mercy to save the whole city and all its people.

Plus, have to say it, he's damn funny. I find myself laughing often at his dialogue exchanges and his observations in his pov chapters.

Also, my favourite line: There are no men like me. There's only me.

anyone else notice how much Jamie is kind of transforming into Tyrion in a way. He is getting that sharp tongue, He is starting to hate Cersei, and he is a man now look down upon.

Still he has grown on me more then anyone. Up until aSoS Jon was my favorite from the start then we got Jamie's POV and he has grabbed the top spot from Jon.

Archived