The realist thread

Dragon greyscale

3. i just typed in contact lens and A game of thrones on google and it came up with this http://insidetv.ew.c...rge-r-r-martin/. And a quote by GRRM "I know they tried, but they were not able to do the purple eyes for the Targaryens. You can do colored contact lenses, but that’s difficult for the actors and doesn’t always look right anyway". I dont understand? what does that mean? how the hell did HBO try?

2. Yea? Tyrion got Shae's chain on? Awsome.

1. I know that sigals exist, but... When i watch HBO with my friends they ask mad questions "whos this, whos that" it would be easier to just say the animal that relates to the people. e.g. knight of flowers, the hound (HBO did a good job with that), etc,etc. My friends know that the Wolf is Stark, because they have wolves, but it would be simpler to have Jorah and the old bear both have a bear on there chest.

When Cat arrests Tyrion she is like "Is that the sigil bat of Harrenhal on your chest?" Then the knight gets up, and nothing is on his chest...

They tried... It says right there. Either it didn't look right or it was too uncomfortable for the actors.

Everybody wearing sigils all the time would look stupid. Especially for people in the Nights Watch. I can see the rest of them wearing sigils to very formal occations or to battle.

Also, the maesters do wear chains in season 1.

yea... tough it up! If you are an actor from HBO's biggest show, i think you could put in some damn contacts, i have been doing it since i was 12, and last time i checked i wasn't blood of the dragon

I think they were uncomfortable to the point of affecting the actor's performance; who wants to try to act while with when their eyes are bothering them throughout every scene? And ultimately, hardly anyone really cares that their eyes aren't purple, and no one cares enough not to watch just because of that, so it was completely unnecessary.

I agree about the sigils just for one scene. When Catelyn is calling out all the members and their sigils in the inn where she arrests Tyrion, none of the men at arms are actually wearing sigils even though she claims to see them.

I agree about the sigils just for one scene. When Catelyn is calling out all the members and their sigils in the inn where she arrests Tyrion, none of the men at arms are actually wearing sigils even though she claims to see them.

I agree somewhat about this scene being problematic. The dialogue is lifted straight from the corresponding scene in the book (A Game of Thrones chapter 28 Catelyn V page 291 in my British kindle edition) so Catelyn specifically tells the knight of House Whent that she sees the black bat of Harrenhal embroidered on his surcoat. As a viewer we do not see what she says she sees which is a sin in film making. However, we do see the black bat of Harrenhal in this scene - it is on the mans shield by his feet (I even took a screenshot and put it up on the Game of Thrones wikia). It seems a shame that the dialogue was not altered to reflect the available props.

In the book she recognizes the Bracken and Frey men because they are wearing their sigils. In the show she does not say that she sees the sigil of the Frey party so it is not so problematic to me that it is not there - they have consistently put Freys in those funny hats so I thought (retrospectively after the show has gone to the Twins) that she recognized this man because he is in the Frey hat.

The bracken man had a shield prop made for him. It is featured prominently in the fight against the hill tribes in the Vale in the next episode when Tyrion picks it up and uses it. It is a shame they could not get that sigil on screen here too.

For the most part i dont care on how realist HBO is. However...

1. Lack of Sigils. They should be on everybody's chest. (not that big of a deal)

2. Chains. The Hand of the king has button, and Maesters have nothing (also not a big deal)

3. The Eyes!!! Arya, Jon and Ned should have grey eyes! Tyrion should have an evil eye! Dany's eyes! Purple eyes are sexy!!(very big deal)

Somehow I think you mistook a 'realist' thread for a 'nitpick' thread. But still.

2. You are wrong about the Maesters - they wore chains. Look closer.

3. A quote from: http://www.denofgeek...es_blurays.html

"6. Hardcore fans lamented the loss of the Targaryen family's violet eyes, but Daenerys and Viserys were originally shot with violet contact lenses. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss gave them the chop, though, after concluding that "actors act with their eyes, and [the lenses] really hurt the emotion." "

They tried it. It just didn't look good. And it would have been a real shame to obscure Emilia's beautiful eyes.

• 1 month later...

I'm sad to see this thread died off a bit into more of a nitpick, however I'd like to bring it back to realism.

I'm concerned, as others have mentioned previously, that the show will be able to make it to the ending GRRm has in mind (i.e. TWOW, ADOS). Let's pretend that the HBO tells D&D they need to wrap up the show in less than the 8 or 9 seasons they wish to have. Where would you stop the story?

Realistically, I think it could end after ASOS. If the breakdown is as follows:

S2: ACOK, + a bit of ASOS (Jaime & Brienne, etc.)

S3: first 2/3 of ASOS (up to RW), minus what got shifted to S2.

S4: rest of ASOS, and probably some parts of AFFC.

I think they could stop the show here. Mainly I am worried about how the characters we know get further spread out, and the introduction of so many new ones (Iron Islands, Dorne, etc.). They could leave Cat dead, show Arya on her way to Braavos, Tyrion leaving KL & Jaime trying to be an honorable LC, Theon dead, Dany ruling Meereen, Jon ruling the NW with Sam, Bran crossing the Wall, Davos and Stannis defeat the wildling army, and Sansa & LF rule the Lysa-less Eyrie. It leaves some pseudo-cliffhangers, but it's better than nothing.

Archived