Aurane Waters

Ski the Swift

With Lannister rule flailing, he would logically go to the person he believed most likely to give him what he desired. It is unlikely that he knew of Aegon's sudden decision to invade, so only two options were open to him: Stannis and Dany. Would he choose Stannis who while known commander seemed defeated, but was at least in Westeros, or Dany whose capabilities and resources were unknown to him, but was rumoured to have dragons ?

Or some kid by the name of Aegon, (supposed) son of the loved Prince Rhaegar, who has taken Storm's End, has the Golden Company, and now a fairly clear road to King's Landing.

Or some kid by the name of Aegon, (supposed) son of the loved Prince Rhaegar, who has taken Storm's End, has the Golden Company, and now a fairly clear road to King's Landing.

As of the end of the Dance, Storm's End is not conquered and we only hear about Golden Company in this book, while Aurane Waters dissapeared in AFfC.

His dissapearance along with the "questioinable" and "un varified" condition of Ser Loras make me think they are connected. Also, if he is a Blackfyre, then he would be throwing in with Young Griff/Aegon and the Golden Company. Helping to rescue elephants, anyone?

There is an interesting background for the bastard of Driftmark in the perspective of a Blackfyre resurgence. The Velaryons are of Valyrian origin and have once married one of their daughters to a Targaryen King. This is how Daemon Blackfyre descended from the Velaryons on his mother's side, (but the Targaryens from the main line didn't, as far as I know). However Aurane is only a Velaryon bastard, which makes me wonder whether a bastard in search of legitimacy would support a Blackfyre pretender.

This is why I suspect Aurane would have made a choice recruit for Varys to gain to the Blackfyre cause (assuming Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre), after Aurane swore fealty to Joffrey after the BoB.

Daemon's mother was Daena "The Defiant" Targaryen, eldest daughter of King Aegon III "The Dragonbane" and an unknown Velaryon. Aurane, as said, is a Velaryon so he does indeed have old family ties to the Blackfyres.

His dissapearance along with the "questioinable" and "un varified" condition of Ser Loras make me think they are connected. Also, if he is a Blackfyre, then he would be throwing in with Young Griff/Aegon and the Golden Company. Helping to rescue elephants, anyone?

Aurane did strike me as not completely honest when he talked about Loras' condition and Dragonstone and he may decide to throw in with the Golden Company, however, he (or anyone else in KL) did not know about Young Griff at the time of his departure.

Also, I don't really see how would one rescue elephants, when one does not know where said elephants are. And if they needed rescuing, wouldn't you need pulley system capable of withstanding great weights ?

Sure, if he had known about YG before he left, I could see it happening. But he didn't. His dromonds didn't enter any port since he left and as such he wouldn't know. That is unless Varys told him beforehand and I don't see Varys trusting him with such information.

Maybe Stannis has contacted him? Maybe switching sides was a plot with Stannis and he has had the intent on turning back to Stannis' side when the best opportunity presents itself. He wasn't much use in the Council (but who is when Cersei rules?).

Ok, I'll write this once more...those dromonds were very distinguishable. And they were never seen since Aurane left with them. They did not enter any ports. No other ships have ever seen either. They could not be sold. Noone buys ships that are recognizably and beyond any doubt stolen. If you buy stolen merchandise you want to have a room for at least a pretense of ignorance.

Ok, I'll write this once more...those dromonds were very distinguishable. And they were never seen since Aurane left with them. They did not enter any ports. No other ships have ever seen either. They could not be sold. Noone buys ships that are recognizably and beyond any doubt stolen. If you buy stolen merchandise you want to have a room for at least a pretense of ignorance.

He may spend some time refurbishing them before doing whatever he pretends to do; adding some paint, changing the rams and the sails...etc.; I guess the dromons used by sellsails aren´t very different from the royal ones.

The galleasses, on the other hand, would be very rare and difficult to conceal, and wouldn´t have much use as pirate ships, since they are too slow, and would be outrunned by smaller merchant galleys.

I like things simple. He's a Tyrrell supporter and went to pick up (an unharmed) Loras & his Merrie Men for an assault on the Ironborn attacking Highgarden and The Arbor.

The simplest conclusion is that he is just an opportunistic bastard who see his queen losing power, and so bolts with his awesome new ships to become a stepstones pirate. But I am now convinced it is not quite as simple as that. I don't see this Waters guy as being the type who would want anything to do with Stannis, and I don't see him as the type to make a long risky journey to a warzone to help Dany. He is self-serving, opportunistic, and now has had a taste of the good life at court. Guy like him doesn't want to be a loyal soldier in a risky war, and he sure isn't looking to go North during winter.

He wants gold, wine and women. He'll go to a place like Dorne. I see him possibly as a pawn for the Martells.

Though a minor character he seems to have made an impression on readers. I like him because he used his charm, flattery and good lucks to deceive Cersei; those are Cersei's own methods used against her.I like the idea of him returning to the story in his flagship "Sweet Cersei". I love how the name of the ship becomes a mockery to her.

He could sail North to go back to Stannis and offer him a new fleet.

Meaning he'll arrive at Eastwatch, ready to be used to save the people and NW at Hardhome.

Alternatively, that would be a useful fleet if Massey ever manages to hire his 20.000 sellswords; they'll need to be shipped across the Narrow Sea.

Though I've no fixed opinion on his fate. He could as well be playing the pirate or be in league with Loras Tyrell.

BTW, someone mentioned reading about shipwrecked dromonds, and I seem to remember the same. Was it in some Victarion chapter?

BTW, someone mentioned reading about shipwrecked dromonds, and I seem to remember the same. Was it in some Victarion chapter?

Do you have a quote from the book? I remember there being a lot of shipwrecks over the AFFC/ADWD but I don't remember dromonds.

He's an opportunist, that much is for sure. I can't see him going back to Stannis even if the journey didn't involve autumn storms and a dangerous voyage. He helped the Lannisters and Stannis is never going to forgive that. We know what happened to Davos when he came with a ship to Stannis, and Davos was just a smuggler. Stannis will probably thank him for the ships then order him killed right after.

For the same reasons, I don't think he's a Tyrell loyalist or Targ loyalist. He has no relation to the Tyrells and none to the Targs beyond passing resemblance. Going to Dany requires an even more dangerous voyage with an even more uncertain end, and it's doubtful he even knows Dany exists. As for Loras, I think Loras is actually hurt bad. His only reason for going to Dragonstone was to end the siege and then fight the Ironborn. There's simply no reason for Loras to fake a serious injury and then hide on Dragonstone waiting for people to forget about him.

My opinion would be that he is will either join Salladhor Saan, help the Golden Company (for money of course), or both of them will help the GC together. He could be help them as an opportunist but not as a loyalist, a distinction which I don't think has been made in this thread.

Archived