Little Fingers Kiss (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

Since everything Little Finger does is a manipulation, was his forced kiss on Sansa simply a ploy to infuriate Lysa or his long pent up desire for "little cat"?

We know he has desired "Cat" his entire life and Sansa looks just like her and might even be prettier.My first reaction was he is just a sick perverted bastard, but later when we see what happened to Lysa, it struck me that it was simply a ploy to get rid of Lysa and control the Vale. I can only hope he does not force himself on Sana now that Lysa is out of the picture...

I think GRRM put both of your questions in the readers' heads on purpose. It creates a lot of tension around Sansa's character. I will say I don't think Littlefinger cares for anyone but himself, so if he "woos" Sansa, I think it would only be to help him to reach some other goal.

I found the scene very touching. Not that I like Littlefinger. But for him there are explanations why he became as he is.

For all we know he was not an evil kid.

His position at Riverrun cannot have been easy and in some ways may be compared to Jon's insecurities.

Petyr must have always felt people saw him as small and insignificant.

If one makes someone feels like that something can snap.

In the scene with the snow castle he seemed very helpful and kind.

I can imagine Sansa made him remember the young Catelyn he was in love with.

Littlefinger, as much as he may be disliked, after all is a person with feelings.

Provoking Lysa in that scene ... possible of course ... but that would require he knew that at that moment Lysa was watching.

Is there evidence in the text that he knew? Sansa had noticed Lysa, but that doesn't prove Littlefinger had also noticed that his wife was looking at the godswood. And if he was provoking something, wouldn't it be risky? He couldn't know when and how Lysa would retaliate.

I found the scene very touching. Not that I like Littlefinger. But for him there are explanations why he became as he is.

For all we know he was not an evil kid.

His position at Riverrun cannot have been easy and in some ways may be compared to Jon's insecurities.

Petyr must have always felt people saw him as small and insignificant.

If one makes someone feels like that something can snap.

In the scene with the snow castle he seemed very helpful and kind.

I can imagine Sansa made him remember the young Catelyn he was in love with.

Littlefinger, as much as he may be disliked, after all is a person with feelings.

Provoking Lysa in that scene ... possible of course ... but that would require he knew that at that moment Lysa was watching.

Is there evidence in the text that he knew? Sansa had noticed Lysa, but that doesn't prove Littlefinger had also noticed that his wife was looking at the godswood. And if he was provoking something, wouldn't it be risky? He couldn't know when and how Lysa would retaliate.

I completely agree. I don't think that Littlefinger was intentionally trying ty provoke Lysa on that scene. But I do think that Littlefinger's plan has been to get to rule the Vale by himself, because he didn't really love Lysa, and didn't really hesitate to kill her.

Since Littlefinger is the little manipulative person, I guess it was just to provoke Lysa. But besides that, he has feelings for Sansa, I'm sure about that.

• 2 months later...

I never thought of that castle in snow scene touching, at all. I was thinking it was all part of his plan. Actually, I don't see Petyr capable of doing anything touching or sincere. I think he contains too much hatred in him and he is focused into vengeance that he has shunned that part of him.

I love how GRRM ended Storm of Swords with that chapter from Sansa, and with the last line from Petyr. When he was trying to trick Lysa (I already knew what he was going to do), I was thinking all along how could he get away with it. I think Marillion deserves it. That #$#$# perv!

• 2 months later...

I saw it as a little bit of both. Littlefinger has proven to be quite manipulative, as seen at the end of ASOS. So I think it is very likely that he knew Lysa would be watching them and knew exactly the right moment to hone in on Sansa to set everything in motion. I mean, he even planned ahead for the singer to be in the room when everything went down later on, so he had to have known Lysa would get mad at Sansa for the kiss, suggesting he had planned for things to unfold exactly the way they did.

However, I also think he wanted to kiss Sansa. I mean, there are plenty of other ways he could have gotten Lysa mad at her. But, since she looks so much like the woman he loves, he took advantage of the situation. I think he even pretends she is Cat in a way, playing out all of the things he wishes he could do with Cat and remembering how things were when they were kids.

How did anyone find that scene touching?? He OBVIOUSLY did that just to piss off Lysa. And for the people commenting on how nice he was to Sansa, have you forgotten how "good" he was to Ned?

If he could profit from slitting Sansa's thought, he'd do it in a heartbeat. He's a great and intriguing a character but he's scum lol.

i tell you what he's scared of cersei! I can't wait to find out what happens with Petyr...I never liked him from the beginning..somethings wrong with him...I even thought he was the one that schemed to kill Bran. just cuz he probably wanted to hurt Cat the way she unintentionally hurt him.

For all we know, Littlefinger is just trying to prove something (to the Tullys mostly because of Cat) because he was always considered beneath them during his childhood. In a way it's another version of the Theon story line (also a "ward" trying to prove something but for very different reasons), although Theon is relatively stupid.

I'm sorry, but Littlefinger is not trustworthy. He may do some things to help other people, but only ever with the ultimate goal of helping himself. He does take Sansa under his wing but don't think for a second he doesn't have ulterior motives. As for kissing Sansa and throwing Lysa out the Moon Door, I think he mostly wanted to kiss Sansa. If Lysa didn't see he probably wouldn't mind trying again. And again.

I agree GRRM puts the question in your head if Petyr really cares for Sansa or not. I suppose we will know the answer if he ever has to choose between himself and Sansa. He's setting things up so he doesn't have to do that.

When I read the scene building the snowcastle I found it really creepy. even those who like littlefinger must have noticed all that untoward sexual innuendo??? Why say those things to Sansa if he's not thinking about it? No one else was around to hear them. IMO Sansa will be lucky to escape the Eyrie with her virginity intact.

• 5 months later...

i liked littlefinger beforehand but after reading this sansa chapter i was even more impressed with his ability to plan and manipulate people (case in point lysa), but the kiss between him and sansa was really weird and off putting however i like to think that he did that as part of his plan. considering how smart the whole operation get sansa out of kings landing thing was, i like to think that he smart enough to know not to try and kiss her out in the open because he wanted to without expecting anyone to see or find out.

Funny... I don't think Littlefinger is into Sansa as "Cat #2", at all. I think he loved Cat in the past but never forgave her for not loving him back. I think he was very happy to betray Ned as a vengeance, and I fear he wants to take more vengeance o Cat, even after her death, in manipulating Sansa and making her suffer. Cause I got a feeling he definetely is going to make her weep, just when she thinks she is safe it'll be KL all over again... Only now she isa bit older so he can add sexual manipulation and forced marriage to the bill of horrors.

As to your question, when I read that scene I felt he kissed her because he was horny. AND because Lysa was looking and he wanted to throw her and Sansa against each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel bad for Sansa, she just continually goes from bad situation to bad situation. Tragic.

On another note, while reading, I didn't think Littlefinger was up to anything, but in hind sight, I would say he probably did have some sinister ulterior motive. He's a snake without a sincere bone in his body. If it won't benefit him in one way or another, he won't bother.

Archived