Dany´s chapter at Astapor

Xtopher

I just wanted to share my relief with someone in here.

There had been little to nothing with Dany´s storyline throughout clash of kings, only a couple memorable moments but no action at all, but now that i just read her chapter in Astapor where...

...she buys the Unsullied army giving her dragon as payment, and then Dracarys!!! all hells breaks loose...

now that´s what i expected from Dany, pure cleverness and badassness all mushed together in awesome sauce.

Question though... did she even tell anyone else what she intended to do? or was it a surprise to everyone?

cause Ser Jorah appeared kind of calm when she offered that in return of the army.

I don't think anyone expected this to happen. It's been a while since I read this, but I think one of her advisors told her she shouldn't trade her dragon for the Unsullied.

I love how Dany is turning out! She's been one of my fav's since book 1, and in this book we finally get to see her make some awesome moves! Astapor was a great scene. I can't believe tha idiot actually thought he could just trade for a dragon, like it was simply a brainless pet.

She definitely surprised people with being willing to trade a dragon, but I think she expected the outcome. What child would willingly just be sold from their mother? She knew her babies wouldn't go off with a stranger. Especially not the strongest!

Keep reading, she's got more absolutely amazing parts coming up!

• 4 weeks later...

Given that I'm not a huge Dany fan, that scene was definitely one of her more badass.

I was 99% sure that she wasn't actually planning on trading for her dragon, but given the other stupid mistakes that she'd made, I wouldn't have been shocked. But I'm glad that it went down so nicely.

I love how Dany is turning out! She's been one of my fav's since book 1, and in this book we finally get to see her make some awesome moves! Astapor was a great scene. I can't believe tha idiot actually thought he could just trade for a dragon, like it was simply a brainless pet.

She definitely surprised people with being willing to trade a dragon, but I think she expected the outcome. What child would willingly just be sold from their mother? She knew her babies wouldn't go off with a stranger. Especially not the strongest!

Even after this scene I would still think she could trade her dragons, I dont see why that made him an idiot? I mean essentially they are pets, just very very rare pets. I wouldn't think him an idiot for thinking that someone could trade a dragon, I think he was an idiot for thinking someone would trade a dragon. The whole Dany stating that the dragons weren't hers to trade thing was really just to go along with her freeing all the slaves and giving a display of how she accepts free obedience and doesn't force it (since she was freeing all the slaves and all but still wanted them for her cause).

But yeah, Dany's chapters in ASOS were great. I've never really cared for Dany's chapters but once I'd start reading them I thoroughly enjoyed the read, though the whole time I did want it to get back to Jon or Robb or Tyrion.

I'm not the biggest Dany-fan either, but that scene was epic - I cheered a lot while reading it. I'm pretty sure, she wouldn't have traded her dragons, but I'm not sure, if she told anyone in her khalassar about her plans... maybe Jorah and her bloodriders

Might be wrong, but didn't it say at one point that only her ko knew what she was going to do?

And nah, I really don't think she knew the trade would be permanent. She knew that her dragon would only ever be loyal to her, I thought it was a great tactical move by her, a terrific scene all round.

When I realized that she was going to trade her dragons - Drogon, I believe - I was so mad at her. I couldn't believe that she was going to do that as she had said that her dragons were her children. Why would you trade one of your own children? I had always liked Dany - as evident in the fact I named myself after her - but this scene almost made me really dislike her.

I was so glad to read when she unleashed her dragons on them. I knew she was a badass; I just hadn't seen it in a while. LOVED it!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is all circumstantial, but with how she had her crew set up, with warriors on the outside, and the weakest on the inside of the column ; and how Jorah was all geared up for a fight, I am sure some knew what was going to happen, at least Jorah and Artsan.. But even so

That scene was pretty awesome.

I knew it !

Yes, I got the move she was planning to do when she insisted to buy ALL of the army.

I've thought about this joke where a guy tells to another one : I want a tank. Well, you should buy it, even if you don't have the money, responds the other. But my bank will go after me. Bitch please, you have a tank !

That was basicaly the idea of Danenerys, if you buy all of Astrapo's power, you can take all of its ressources and keep the power.

The smartest move would be to sell to Dany half of the army you own, but you can't figure that out when you were promised Drogon :P !

I'm pretty sure she never had any intention of giving away any dragons, it was a tactical gambit which gave her control of Astapors defensive capabilities, before she wrecked the joint.

I don't even think it would be possible for her to give a dragon away, they are not mindless pets, nor even pets at all. They are intelligent, magical creatures who bond to the Targs / Valyrians and have for thousands of years, it would be like giving away a part of yourself. It was hard enough for Arya to make Nymeria leave her, certainly she wouldn't have just gone of with someone else, and direwolves are not dragons.

Exactly, her dragons are pretty much her children. Even they seem to know it.

I must admit to feeling a bit smug while reading it, pretty much guessing what she was up to when everyone else was going "no! you can't give them away!" So much so that I had to skip to the end of the chapter to see what was going on, the only time I've ever done that. Only had to see the numerous italicized "dracarys! dracarys!" to confirm that she was indeed planning to burn that hole to the ground.

The only thing i dont get about her is:

obviously she is really smart, she has proven in this book that her war tactics are flawless, she understands people´s behaviour and makes them act how she likes. So, where did she get all of this from? Viserys?? no freaking way. Who else would teach her things? she´s been alone all her life and she is only like thirteen dammit! how is she learning all of this? if you have read the Meereen chapter you know what im talking about, thinking through all that was just pure genious, i just cant buy it from her. a couple of months ago she was only a scared little child and didnt want to know about anything but returning home and the red door.

I think that part of Dany's story is really pivotal.

What she did in Astapor could be perceived as a dishonourable act, but it was also a wise one. I had wondered while reading whether she would reallly do it or not (trade Drogon) because is seemed so stupid I couldn't believe it.

She HAD to do what she did to win, and she grew so much as a person and ruler.

She had made some bad decisions in the past, but she is a quick learner and she learns from her mistakes. She makes good decisions where it counts. From my point of view, she's an awesome queen/khaleesi :)

• 4 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. This chapter is my favorite in the book, and one of the coolest feelings reading it, all year! Taking this slave army, who've been brainwashed, mutilated, verbally and physically abused every day of their lives, and for one purpose. To make them the best warriors money can be. To take this group, set them free, and then turn them on their trainer/masters, that was just brilliant! Maybe I should have it coming, but I missed it.

I really like that not just does Dany make her own rules, but also that she makes rules that don't necessarily benefit her. The rules she follows are what she thinks will benefit the unfortunates who need a champion. She's not just playing the Game to obtain the ultimate power, but making sure that other people, who could use it, are benefitted by it.

Jon Snow seems to be of a similar vein. All of the other players (those who would be king) seem to be only in it for their own benefit. Which is why Dany & Jon are the two main protagonists worth rooting for in this series.

Archived