First Extended Trailer for Season 2

Westeros

Does anyone else wish they would use the end of the song Opt1m1sm for the final Season 2 trailer? Haha, it's the one they used in Boardwalk Empire's Season 2 trailer and I nearly pooped myself it was so awesome. I think it'd go really really well with a Game of Thrones season 2 trailer.

No. The music they used in this trailer was better

I actually had a look at the appropriate Sansa chapter in aSoS.

After LF kills Dontos, Sansa is appalled. <Sansa felt sick. "He said he was my Florian".

"Do you perchance recall what I said to you that day your father sat the Iron Throne?"

The moment came back to her vividly. "You told me that life was not a song. That I would learn that one day, to my sorrow". She felt tears in her eyes, but whether she wept for Ser Dontos, for Joff, for Tyrion or for herself, Sansa could not say. "It is all lies, forever and ever, everyone and everything?">

So I don't think his story is meaningless to her growing up. But I don't think it is vital.

That's good stuff, and I think a very good moment there with LF in the boat, and I hope that makes it into the show, but you think that if all Sansa had gone through up to that point was her father's beheading, the beatings by the KG, the mind games from Joffrey and Cersei, and the constant terror she lived with for a year or more, that she would've grown up any less from that experience?

Plus the fact that she's then being tutored in cynicism by LF from that point.

I think the stuff with Dontos is cool, and that it contributes to a cool scene where it all comes home for Sansa, but is essentially meaningless in the bigger picture for her. Maybe that's too strong a way to put it, since I think the memory of Dontos will stay with her and maybe even inform some decisions at some point in her life, but I don't think it makes much difference as to how jaded she becomes or has become.

The important part to me is Abaddon's point about how credible it is that she would place credence in a note on its own. A note that would bring her to the godswood is one thing (she could always pretend she was there for a good reason). A note that would make her flee KL? That is really pushing things IMO. The Florian aspect is just a nice extra that Dontos brings.

I'm not talking about just one note, but a string of notes over the same period of time that she knew Dontos. I don't think she would think it's just coming from nowhere. She would worry that it was a trick, but she worries the same about the note that Dontos left for her, so the danger there is the same either way: if the note in the book or the hypothetical notes in my scenario were a trick by Joffrey or somebody else, then visiting the godswood would carry the same risk as running to the docks, insofar as somebody who was part of the setup catching her would know what she was doing. So, in either case, you have two scenarios, one where the letter(s) are genuine, and one where they are a trap. The trap carries the same weight in either. Now she could be caught either way by somebody not part of a trap, so that would carry greater weight with an escape than just going to the godswood where she would say she'd just gone to pray. But running with Dontos on the night of the RW also carries the risk of being caught, and he certainly can't protect her. From what I recall of the books, Dontos's involvement in the plan isn't particularly reassuring to her, and calls into question the competence of the entire project. Anyway, Sansa is desperate to flee KL, and even urges Dontos that they can't wait for the planned date, and I believe she tells him that she cannot even keep going through her daily routine any longer, that they have to flee. I think she was motivated enough, and she certainly would have at least kept the possibility alive in her thoughts. In the book when they flee it is actually pretty easy with the confusion from the Purple Wedding. So, say Sansa was still undecided at that point: with the chaos surrounding Joffrey's dying, it would've been natural for her to run from the scene, then she just needs to keep going, assuming she knows the way to the docks (that's one way that Dontos is actually pretty valuable that I hadn't thought about, that he would know the way, but I suppose that Sansa has been around the town a little bit; she would've been present for Myrcella's send off, and her notes would've included instructions).

No. The music they used in this trailer was better

The start of it was, but as it built up it turned into typical low budget "epic sounding but not really" trailer music. Wasn't imoressed. Then again, Daenerys shouting her angry voice may have detracted from it.

I also highly doubt this is the last trailer. I expect a 2-2.5 min long trailer before the season starts.

The start of it was, but as it built up it turned into typical low budget "epic sounding but not really" trailer music. Wasn't imoressed. Then again, Daenerys shouting her angry voice may have detracted from it.

I also highly doubt this is the last trailer. I expect a 2-2.5 min long trailer before the season starts.

I don't know if we will have a trailer that long come, but we wil definitely get at least one more trailer before the season starts. There were about 5 or 6 trailers for season 1, granted they were also trying to build a fan base then from people who knew nothing about the series. Now that it is a world wide phenomenon they don't have as many trailers.

I don't know if we will have a trailer that long come, but we wil definitely get at least one more trailer before the season starts. There were about 5 or 6 trailers for season 1, granted they were also trying to build a fan base then from people who knew nothing about the series. Now that it is a world wide phenomenon they don't have as many trailers.

Hmm, well I was just guessing since Season 1 had a 2.5 minute long trailer for it, it was the final trailer before the season began i think. Who knows though. Everything we've gotten so far has just been teasers basically.

I am going to make the guess that main final 2nd season trailer will end with some zinger using the dragons.

When the CGI is ready that will be the money shot.

I think the stuff with Dontos is cool, and that it contributes to a cool scene where it all comes home for Sansa, but is essentially meaningless in the bigger picture for her. Maybe that's too strong a way to put it, since I think the memory of Dontos will stay with her and maybe even inform some decisions at some point in her life, but I don't think it makes much difference as to how jaded she becomes or has become.

I'd agree with all that. I just thought the quote useful since you were discussing the impact of Dontos.

As for the notes. We just have a slightly different views. I just find the idea of one or many notes awkward. It could be got over I suppose but i'm glad we don't have to face that.

And Dontos does give Sansa somebody to talk to. Notes would have actually worked better in the books since we hear her thoughts anyhow. Would she have put so much faith on just notes? Or just fled back to her room after Joffrey's death given her shock? Everytime I think about it, it just strikes me as odd. The only thing I can compare it to in oddness is how does Theon lose Winterfell without Ramsay in S2? But the latter still seems a little easier to solve (IMO anyhow).

• 2 weeks later...

First for season 2 we seem to get a lot of imagery for Dany's story for the pre-Qarth, I hope and I don't think the teleplay will spend much time on that, it's more GRRM 'travelog' stuff.

Is anyone slightly disappointed in the briefly seen costume design for Qarth? At least what Dany seemed to be wearing.

All the Westeros , I mean the new stuff, looks great, tho we have not really seen an elaboration of Pyke or Dragonstone that much yet.

I don't know, expected the Qarth stuff to be a bit more elegantly Baroque. Maybe they will CGI that in.

Archived