[TV Spoilers] Large Battles

Alvyn Sharp

Interesting to see Neil Marshall's name. I assume that's the director of Dog Soldiers, the descent etc. Neil Marshall? If so my fears for this ep have been massively waylaid. Centurion wasn't a great movie but I've used it as an example of a tiny budgeted film with amazing battle scenes in a lot of the threads complaining about the green fork. He really knows how to make things look spectacular for not a lot of money.

I agree we don't need masses of men. The story provides us with lots of natural barriers to sight: the walls, the woods and then the smoke. If its shot well enough it shouldn't feel at all small scale or low budget. Also, the books telling of the story lends itself to that sort of focus by the POV structure rather than grand birds eye retellings.

Perhaps if we just see the battle from Davos and Tyrion's perspective, I can see it being relatively cheaper to film. Davos looking around from his ship could be done with green screens and such. Tyrion does most of his battling around a gate and near a river, intimate one on one tussling and scrapping. It's not really like Lord of the Rings where we see thousands of horsemen charge in to thousands of Orcs and such.

I do hope we get to see the "Three Whores" in action though :D

Blackwater is the most difficult battle scene in all of the books, it's on water, we have the wildfire, (it does say spoilers in the title) .... if they can pull this off, anything else will be simpler. Anyway, I'm not expecting battles like in LOTR, Troy or whatever, come on... but I would like to see for a couple of seconds the armies, a view from above with them... they did it in Rome, maybe it didn't look completly real, but we can all accept that.

In the first season I thought it was a complete letdown that we didn't see any images with the cities, Winterfell, the Red Keep, the Eyrie.... only extremly blurry stuff, and only a couple of frames. Those were easier to do, but they didn't bother with them

I hate to sound snarky, but people worry far too much because they really don't know how to make a TV show. There's a heap of inventive practices in filming just about anything to give it for scale and make the audience feel engrossed. I would not be judging and worrying simply because it's not going to show the battle in 360 degrees. Even a filmmaker with the most advanced technology in the world wouldn't want to do that because there are certain techniques in filmmaking.

Archived