Ruining it for yourself.

Ser Barristan BadAss

I knew Robb was going to die because my brother spoiled it for me during the first season of the show. I read the books after that and the Red Wedding still shocked me because I didn't know the circumstances of his death.

My brother also spoiled Ned's death for me during the show. That was the first character that I really loved so his death really stung, but now that I've read the books I just know that everyone is fair game.

I was really good; I didn't look up any spoilers when I was reading. I started reading the boos after watching the first series, read the second book alongside the second series then finished the rest, so not a huge amount was spoiled for me (except, of course; Ned's Death)

• 4 months later...

I've ruined it for myself so many times I don't think I can ruin anything more. I keep on peeking ahead. As a result, I ruined Ned's death, Theon taking Winterfell, the Red Wedding, Joffrey's death, Tywin Lannister did not shit gold, Ygritte's death, Bran meeting with Sam, and countless other events for myself. I'm trying to not ruin anything before starting AFFC. Somehow, I ended up knowing that Jon sent Sam south.

1st time round i missed the second half of Storm of Swords (look the books weren't that easy to find four years ago..somebody else had part two out of the library..) and skipped to Feast for Crows...Kind of wondered where everybody went....um..Catelyn's suddenly a zombie...what the hell is going on!?!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

EVERYTHING. Pretty much EVERYTHING I got spoiled by the back covers of the books and my lazy decision to peek at last pages of the books because they seemed so long.

But the really important things, like the ending of the series, I won't be spoiled for, because I'll be avoiding this forum like the plague from around two weeks before TWOW releases to when I finish it, and ditto for ADOS.

As I'm an very emotional person, I really hate it when a character gets killed of that I like and a character that I hate still lives. This hinders me to read the books in fully because I will just keep on reading annoyed and skimming through the chapters till I read the character that I hate dies. So to spare myself that I spoiled almost everything for myself, this way I can read in peace and take in all the details, which the spoilers often don't mention.

What do you mean ruining it for yourself? Yes, I totally studied the ASOIAF Wiki in depth before reading the books and then read them mostly backwards but that's just how I roll. :devil:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

[spoiler]Jon Snow's[/spoiler] apparent death was one of the first thanks to a resident YouTube asshole, but I dismissed it because it seemed incredulous to me. I hadn't been acquainted with the Red Wedding at that time. 

Ned Stark's death. I had watched a few episodes of season one. I hit up YouTube and wanted to look up a video featuring Ned Stark. Asshole search engine graces me with "Ned stark dies" as I type in his name. I was specifically going to write the details of the specific scene so I could avoid spoilers which just makes it worse in retrospect. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a long time reader who has bought ASOS, AFFC, and ADWD all on their release dates so I haven't been spoiled on anything yet.  So I fully expect for the first time I'll be spoiled is from the show - or, rather, have been spoiled from the show (like Aegon's unimportance, for example).  

Archived