You are left in Westeros all alone...

Cap Ou Pas Cap

My day job is nuclear engineering R&D, so I think that if I could probably make myself a Geiger counter and basic tools, then find some Uranium ore and purify it, and then seperate some tritium I could make a simple small CANDU-style reactor to generate electricity. This almost unlimited power source would let me make loads of simple electronics like heaters, radios, speakers, electric fences/moats, etc. I'm sure after getting this reputation I could either carve out my own realm or sell my services to the highest bidding lord. With a reactor to generate plutonium as a byproduct, I could easily make nuclear fission bombs, and with the tritium, I could make hydrogen fushion bombs. And rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Maniacal Laughter*

This is a lot like the thread I made a couple months ago...

Anyways, I think I would do fairly well. I am 6'3 fairly strong (even by their standards) a little overweight, and I know how to streetfight. I would figure out some way of getting to oldtown and do something there while avoiding mysterious hooded men with coins that turn you into water...

probably invent the steam engine and coin the term "FUCK DA GOLD CLOAKS!".

This is a great topic!

Well I am almost done studying business administration with focus on controlling. I could see myself working for the Iron Bank or taking care of some lord's finances and such. Maybe I could start some business of my own in time.

And I'm a fairly good rider too and know a deal about horses, maybe I could breed and train them. Preferably some nice sand steeds in the south.

But I'd probably get dropped in the middle of some bar brawl and get stabbed or end up in a brothel... Just my luck.

To go along with the thread spirit of realistically using what we have: what I have is a ton of skill and experience as a seamstress and costumer. I would find the dressmaker who serves the best ladies, and convince her to take me on as an apprentice. Then I would wow the customers with my skills, take on side jobs and save, until I could open my own business. I would THEN become the foremost dressmaker in Westeros, sought after by every lady of means, because 1. My work would be the best, 2. My fashions would always be the most innovative and daring and trend setting (I have an advantage since I have another thousand years or so of fashion history to pull from to introduce brand new ideas and styles; and 3. I know how to run this business already since it is what I do in real life.

I would remain on good terms with my "mentor" seamstress and throw her all my overflow business (to prevent her sending a FM after me lol) and save continually until I could purchase my own workspace in the southern part of the North, where it would not be too hard for clients to reach me from all over the kingdom (I would of course go to them if they were important enough), but where I am as much out of the way as possible of the fighting that tends to break out in mid-Westeros. And I would have a healthy security budget.

Knowing what we know now and being dropped in before Ned leaves Winterfell...

I'd head North. Sneak into Winterfell and hide in the Godswood. When Ned comes to pray I'll pop out (scaring the shit out of him) and claim to be a distant cousin sent back through time by the Old Gods to right a great wrong that was done to the Stark family during the reign of Mad Prince Joffrey. The first of the Lannisters' Golden Bastards to sit the Iron Throne.

After I drop that on Ned I'll predict the Others returning and a certain sign and gift from the Old Gods that should not be ignored.

If no one else interferes and the King still rides North then the Lannister Twins will check into Winterfell but they won't check out.

Joffery will be sent to the Wall. Tommen and Mycella will be sent to Casterly Rock along with a singer... I think you know the tune.

Then I'll make Ned reveal the secret of Jon's mother before he calls his banners to defend the Wall.

Oh yeah, I get marry Robb too. Now, about those Boltons & Freys....

I would be ABLE to be a pretty decent diplomat or a policymaker or a council member or politician. But seeing as I'm a woman, within that society, I would not be ALLOWED to do what I am ABLE to do. Do you get my point?

Of course I do and this point is the whole point of this post. The rules are different there. No sooner would a beggar woman become a lords wife than a council member. With all the information we have, it could be even easier to show yourself useful in political processes. At least at first. Later, if you really can hold on to it, then you can. Westeros is not particulary full of Cinderella stories. And it is not necessary to choose between being a lady or going down Shae's way. If you do not aim at being a lady or ruling other people at the heighest level, a woman can do pretty much same things as a man. Saying that you will get a lord to mary you right on is the same as for a man saying he would be raised to be a lord right on. How would you earn food until you get to your lord? Or will he meet you on the hour of your arrival? :D

*Mind, do not interpret my answer as an angry one. I'm tired, but that is only logical thoughts.

I am most interested in what people would be ABLE to do, not in what they would WANT to do.

But that depends more on where and when we land and less on our personal strengths, doesn't it? I should be able to get a job as a painter (there are female painters like the one Brienne meets in AFFC) or a maid or a serving girl in an inn or an apprentice to a seamstress and make a living under normal circumstances, but I wouldn't be able to do it if I was "left in" some desert in Dorne or some swamp in the Neck or north of the Wall or in the Riverlands when they were ravaged by Gregor Clegane or the Shield Islands when they were raided by the Ironborn. Considering that you don't give us a location and say that you are interested in the likely results and not what we wish would happen, I think the only safe bet for me is that I would be dead and very lucky if I died before anything else happened to me, lol. /dolorous Edd

But that depends more on where and when we land and less on our personal strengths, doesn't it? I should be able to get a job as a painter (there are female painters like the one Brienne meets in AFFC) or a maid or a serving girl in an inn or an apprentice to a seamstress and make a living under normal circumstances, but I wouldn't be able to do it if I was "left in" some desert in Dorne or some swamp in the Neck or north of the Wall or in the Riverlands when they were ravaged by Gregor Clegane or the Shield Islands when they were raided by the Ironborn. Considering that you don't give us a location and say that you are interested in the likely results and not what we wish would happen, I think the only safe bet for me is that I would be dead and very lucky if I died before anything else happened to me, lol. /dolorous Edd

Yeah, I understand :ohwell: Thank you. What I meant is in that kind of society, not so much a geographical location.

BUT, if I was suddenly dropped into the BEGINNING of the series, then the obvious answer would be to stop Ned from becoming the Hand. By pretending to be a fortune teller perhaps? Or a witch! I've always wanted to be a witch as much as Sam wanted to be a wizard xP

WIN!

Not a lot a girl can aspire to in Westeros... I think I would become a wildling. Im not a fan of kneelers and rules.. Spearwife is the life... Better than being treated like a possession, or worse...mistreated like a possession which seems to be the fate of so many females of noble birth in Westeros. So I would be off to serve at the spearwife outpost of the NW in hopes of catching the eye of a certain warging hopefully not dead LC. :drool:

First and foremost, GET THE HELL OUT OF WESTEROS! As a woman in a war-ravaged Westeros, things don't look too good for me. I can sail to Bravoos and make an honest living selling clams or some shit.

If I am stuck on that bloody, scary, and vicious continent, since I plan to become a teacher, I can cross dress for some time, pretend to be a guy, go to Oldtown and become a maester. It will be a life of lies and booby binding, but at least I will be away from the dangers of war...for the mean time. I also can indulge in my love for education as an maester.

I sing. So I'd become a singer and play for high lords and such. With the coin I make (and maybe a little female pursuasion if needed) I'd get a master-at-arms to teach me to weild a sword and during my travels I might hang around the crannogmen or mountain clans to teach me how to hunt. Then I'll become self sufficient. I'm a rather observant person too so I could offer services to the characters I like to spy on their enemies when I play for them (alla Mance) :D Maybe even work my way up to Mistress of Whispers

Archived