The "Dragon Rider" [aDwD Spoilers]

Fearsome Fred

7. DREAMS OF BLOOD AND FIRE

At the beginning of Quentyn’s final chapter, we have the following:

This suggests that there is something not entirely normal about Quentyn, who does, after all, have Targ heritage. We may indeed have found our second “head of the dragon”.

A little later, he deliberately burns himself on a candle, which is not exactly normal behavior. Some will take his vulnerability to fire as proof that he is “no dragon”. But we cannot make too much of this. As GRRM once warned us:

8. QUENTYN’S SURREAL BURNING

There is something surreal about the final moments in Quentyn’s last POV chapter, when he catches fire. His reaction to the “furnace wind”, which we are later led to belief is FATALLY hot, is not normal or credible. Here’s the quote:

This cannot happen to a normal person. A normal person does not get engulfed in a “furnace wind” hot enough to ignite cloth and leather, belatedly realize he is on fire, and then get scared and belatedly start screaming. The pain would be instant; his reactions instinctive and reflexive. Nor should he be able to see the whip catching fire. The heat should instantly blind him, or at least force him to blink his eyes shut. (See also below, for the severity of the Dying Prince’s facial injuries).

It could just be an unrealistic passage. Or perhaps, Quentyn is not a normal person. Perhaps he is a “dragon”; one of the “three heads of the dragon”. A “dragon” who panics and starts screaming when he realizes he is on fire; but a “dragon” nonetheless. Perhaps this is one of those unpredictable fire-resistant events that GRRM referred to.

9. BURNT BEYOND RECOGNITION

The “Prince” who dies on Dany’s bed, three days later, is burnt beyond recognition (p. 915). His aspect was so horrible that only Missandei had the courage to tend him. He had no lips. He had pools of pus where his eyes used to be. Parts of his skull were visible beneath the burnt flesh.

Is this really the same Quentyn whose fully functional eyes (the only part of his face exposed behind his bronze mask) watched himself catch fire?

In any event, his injuries are severe enough that it would be hard to tell the difference, if it were another person. Remember Bran’s head mounted on a spike? If a character is no longer recognizable when he dies, that itself is cause for suspicion.

I believe this. I completely believe this. Dany survived her fires in Book 1 mainly because of MMD, but also because of her own Targaryen fireproofing, I think. It'd be so cool if Quentyn could pull a Targaryen, too!

I hope he is alive, but I don't really buy the idea that Tatters is the dead one.

t is highly unlikely that Quentyn is still alive.

We saw himself burn through his own eyes....as did everyone else there.

It is even more unlikely that Quentyn is impervious to fire.

I do not at all see Quentyn's story line as a waste/worthless....If anyone has been paying attention to Doran Martell's emotions and what he and is family have been through than they know that Quentyns death will have an important effect on the way Doran, the Sand Snakes and Arianne react to, treat, and behave towards Dany and her party. Dany as of now knows nothing of Quentyns "death".....Who will explain what happened to him? Ser Barristan? Missandei?

What will she be told? That Quentyn tried to steal her dragons and got roasted for it.

Dany will take it as a sign of betrayal. She might even be happy he got roasted.

She may question Dornes intentions all together.

Especially if she finds out Dorans daughter and heir is hanging out with Aegon Targaryen

Perhaps even Betrothed to him. Maybe Dany will think "oh, they had their Dragon, Aegon, and all they needed from me were my actual Dragons, and that's what Quentyn was here for.."

She may marry Victarion after all, or be more open to other options once she has written Dorne off as an enemy.

What do you all think about that?

saying quentyns plot line hardly accomplished anything if he didn't become a dragon rider is obviously narrow minded.

lets see his plot line..

-complicates danys relationship with dorne

-most likely q's death will drive dorne to aegon.

-gives us an insight towards the tattered prince

-releases the dragons, ultimately saving them from slaughter from the harpys sons.

i could go on..

• 3 months later...

Lets face it. If Dany and her dragons never arrive in Westeros, then her story arc is the biggest red herring in the history of fiction.

No it's the song of Ice and Fire, Jon's story is the ice part, and Dany's is the fire part. It's not red herring it's a separate story that is a apart of the same legend in the same world.

Archived