pov character deaths

the wolf warg

I think that Barristan will be killed off before he can reveal the full horror of Aerys' reign to Dany. Hypothetically this means that he could last a significant portion of the next book. I think he will be mortally wounded in the battle and die shortly after.

We have not seen a viewpoint character killed off (for good) in their own pov chapter and I expect that this will remain the case in the future.

I really want it to be Brienne's viewpoint through which we read the inevitable meeting between Jaime and UnCat. The turmoil in that chapter would be too much to resist!

I also think that Jon will no longer be a viewpoint character (saving a whole load of chapter space) and instead we will see other points of view converge on the Wall - such as Theon Greyjoy, Asha Greyjoy, Davos Seaworth and Melisandre - with Bran involved to a certain extent!

I'm determined that Arya will be involved in the King's Landing storyline.

Arianne and JonCon are converging too, which will reduce the required chapters over there too.

Having multiple POV's in one place was all well and good in the earlier books but now that there are so many POV's George needs to be taking every opportunity he can get imo to cut down on POV's.

Having multiple POV's in one place was all well and good in the earlier books but now that there are so many POV's George needs to be taking every opportunity he can get imo to cut down on POV's.

I strongly disagree with this. For me all the most epic sections of this series are due to interplay between a number of viewpoint characters. Look at the Battle of the Blackwater - my favourite set of chapters in the entire series - this works because we get three viewpoints in the same set of events. If Meereen is anything like that then I will be so excited to see the battle unfolding!

Another example are the events around the red and purple weddings in ASOS! The emotion is captured because of the pov structure.

I strongly disagree with this. For me all the most epic sections of this series are due to interplay between a number of viewpoint characters. Look at the Battle of the Blackwater - my favourite set of chapters in the entire series - this works because we get three viewpoints in the same set of events. If Meereen is anything like that then I will be so excited to see the battle unfolding!

Another example are the events around the red and purple weddings in ASOS! The emotion is captured because of the pov structure.

Well yes but I meant for the main bulk of the story when things are more relaxed. Most of the time POV characters don't really overlap that much unless it's a big area like KL or a climactic event. However I agree that for the battle of fire we'll be seeing an interweaving of Dany, Tyrion and Victarion. And at The Wall towards the end I expect we could get Jon, Theon, Melisandre, Jaime, Davos all together. And it will be epic. I think that's what makes these sections that much more awesome if the POV overlap isn't the norm. It makes it feel more special.

• 4 weeks later...

5 POV Deaths in WofW

Cersei... killed by Bran 'the valonquer' who wargs into Robert Strong and strangles her

Selmy... killed roasted and devoured by crazed dragon Viserion during out-of-control battle of Mereen.

Davos... killed by Shaggydog and then eaten by Rickon and his new friends

Viktarion... killed roasted and devoured by Drogon after trying something stupid with the horn

Melisandre... slain by White Walkers becoming their thrall

I think the title Winds of Winter is about not just winter, but despair and death all around. I think alot of characters major and minor are going to die.

Theon or Asha - two in the same vicinity now. Asha should go. Theon will need to face his fears yet, Boltons and Star

Briene or Jaime - Briene, i love her but her and Jaime are also in same vicinity, Jaime has to confront Cersei,

That gives us Briene and Asha

Areo Hotah is not needed anymore to let that one go.

Aeron greyjoy is going to come back but need to die off

That gives us 4, Briene, Asha, Areo and Aeron.

I do not know if there will be more than that. I think the final book needs to kill a few more but not all.

Theon or Asha - two in the same vicinity now. Asha should go. Theon will need to face his fears yet, Boltons and Star Briene or Jaime - Briene, i love her but her and Jaime are also in same vicinity, Jaime has to confront Cersei, That gives us Briene and Asha Areo Hotah is not needed anymore to let that one go. Aeron greyjoy is going to come back but need to die off That gives us 4, Briene, Asha, Areo and Aeron. I do not know if there will be more than that. I think the final book needs to kill a few more but not all.
You listed five, Cersei is right there. :bowdown:

Beware of characters whose storylines overlap.

Personally, I am worried about the Martells. I think Ellaria Sand's warning - that everyone directly connected to Elia's rape/murder was dead, and thus Martell's vendetta against Lannister was over - was prophetic. Doran, understandably consumed with vengeance, may grasp too far. Even though Dorne itself is sitting pretty, the Martellls themselves could suffer. I can see Doran winning a hollow victory over the Lannisters, having avenged Elia but also having lost his brother Oberyn and daughter Arianne.

Doran Martell didn't strike me as someone who's overly much vengeful - probably because of the Water gardens scenes. Seems to me, he wants to keep Dorne out of war, which can't be said of the Sand Snakes and a sizeable part of the common Dornish. His sickness may take him, though...which would mean Areo Hotah just became all that more important for seeing what happens next, with Arianne not in Sunspear.

Don't think we've seen the last of him yet.

I don't think Jon Connington will die (or fade from focus) anytime soon either. He has waited too long for this moment of revealing Aegon/Griff to give in to his disease easily. Somewhere it's mentioned adults with greyscale can live up to ten years. Most of them will die years before that (and lose their minds?) but that means he'll be there, even if Winds of winter takes place five years after DwD. I don't think some stupidity born out of 'I'm dying and want to see my life's work fulfilled before I die' will kill him either, again because he has waited so long and because he has learned from the past not to put his own glory first.

I do think Theon will die - there is no way he will rule the ironborn in his state, all they respect is strenght and daring. I don't see in what other way he could still be useful to the storyline. Same for Aeron Damphair really, when it comes to being useful to the plotline. Euron is out conquesting, so anything he does can be told by raven reports or witnesses or whatnots to other POVs. The only way I see him still being useful is if we should get to know more about the 'dead things in the water' near Hardhome...but if that's info we're getting, it can also be told by Sam.

Of the Meereenese, Victarion and Tyrion are in the warning Quaithe gives Dany on the terrace...but I'm really hoping words are wind, or that maybe not everyone in that prophecy bites the dust. Selmy is an old tired man, and I think Dany might just be ready to head to Westeros because of what she thinks in the grasslands: exit Meereen and Selmy. Meh. Wishful thinking. She still has dragons to save/tame.

I'm hoping some pissed of Vale lord kills off Littlefinger somewhere, and Sansa has to fend for herself from that moment onwards. I know she can do it! ha.

Brienne must die, or Jaime will never go back to Kings Landing to strangle Cersei and commit suicide. I don't understand why people think one or both of them are needed to travel to Howland Reed? Even crannogmen will leave their home if the need is dire.

Speculation!!

1. Barristan (Battle will have costs, hate to say Barristan would be the one to die just because he's a POV, instead of Worm or Belwas. Dany's army has had too few casualties so far.. turn's coming for a tough fight.

2. Cersei (There will be a trial.. but no matter what, the High Septon is/has taken control and won't keep her around. I know she's the only POV in kings landing, but I feel that's just not enough to save her)

3. Brienne (I think she'll die at the hands of BwB in some way, maybe trying to protect Jamie or something. IDK purely speculative. But what we know of her character arc essentially is she was a kingsguard who let her king die. Sworn to keep Jamie safe and let him be maimed, and sworn to find the stark girls but ultimately thought traitor by Cat. As is currently written, I feel like a fitting end for her would be dying to keep an oath).

I'd list Asha and Theon.. I really don't know where they can go from here. Maybe Asha will die trying to use Theon to argue the kingsmoot, and he'll suffer for it as well. IDK, I'm convinced Euron killed Balon, so I wouldn't put it outside him to go after his kids. (I would be surprised if Theon was indeed beheaded by Stannis though).

I can't say Victorian though.. I feel he has a part to play for Dany.. The Iron Fleet will be her ride to Westeros. I feel like he's one of the big plot advances in the next book. If he dies I can't imagine it being until after he gets Dany to Westeros. If the kraken can't get the dragon across the narrow sea.. that girl is NEVER going

Barristan will not die so soon , not in the next book. There going ot be a dragons conflict between Dany and Aegon (targ or blackfyre) - and it is not going to be in the next book.

if Aegon is indeed Blackfyre -then Barristan must be in this conflict ( giving that he killed the "last" blackfyre in the male line )

My guess : 1 of the deaths will be suprising ones ( Sansa? Tyrion?)

The rest : Devos will be killed in the process of bring the north to Stanis ( honorable man do not live long )

1-2 of the Greyjoys ( but not Theon )

Aegon will take the iron-throne in the end of WoW , which allows Griff to die in peace.

By the way - some POV are so meaningless - like the Doran captain - Martin can just ignore him, I don't think anyone care

1. Cercei - after the trial

2. Brienne or Jaime - Brienne could be undead as she was supposed to be hanged by unCat, and if she is then it leaves Jaime

3. Asha - it's her or Theon and Theon has to face the Starks so I don't think it will be him

4. Victarion - dies in the war in Mereen and Dany will have his ships

5. JonCon - dies because of greyscale

• 3 weeks later...

Good points, but I think asha is a bit too selfish to give her life for her brothers sake. She obviously doesn't like him very much lol. But I guess I could see her doing it to spite euron.

That's what I've been thinking while reading this thread. Asha sacrificing herself for Theon seems a little out of character. She tried to help him once, when she offered to get him out of Winterfell after he sacked it, but I doubt she'll extend the same courtesy again.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Barristan makes it back to Westeros with Dany. It will add an interesting element of legitimacy to her claim (like she needs one if she has Drogon with her). People still love and respect Selmy in Westeros.

I think Jaimie and Cersie are leaving in the next book. So is Marcella and Tommen. The only significant Lannister left will be Tyrion.

The Hound will dispatch of Littlefinger.

Stannis dies in this next book, Jon survives.

Aegon, Connington, and hopefully most of the Greyjoys all die (only Asha and Theon survive).

On a side note, I think we will see a Dornish and Tyrell battle spark up which could serve to tie up some loose ends and also thin the POV herd.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange that no one mentioned Jorah.

Anyhow, I don't think GRRM likes head-hopping between too many POV characters and only introduces a new POV when he absolutely has to. Areo is a good example of this. He wanted to give us eyes in Dorne without revealing Doran or Arianne's mindset to the reader too early. He had to do something similar with Ser Arys but neatly tied that one off soon after. There are not too many like Areo who are still alive but whose POV we never returned to. So now he's got a lot more tying off to do, assuming that he is indeed going to finish this in two more books.

Right now we have Bran, Jon/Ghost/whatever, Mel, Davos, Stannis, Theon, Asha, Damphair, Euron, Victarion, Cersi, Jamie, Brienne, Joncon, Aegon, Arianne, Areo, (Doran? can't remember), Arya, Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, Selmy. That's 22 at least, plus whoever I forgot to mention. AGoT had 8 until we lost Ned. I bet ADoS will have something similar. There's a bloodbath coming.

Strange that no one mentioned Jorah.

Anyhow, I don't think GRRM likes head-hopping between too many POV characters and only introduces a new POV when he absolutely has to. Areo is a good example of this. He wanted to give us eyes in Dorne without revealing Doran or Arianne's mindset to the reader too early. He had to do something similar with Ser Arys but neatly tied that one off soon after. There are not too many like Areo who are still alive but whose POV we never returned to. So now he's got a lot more tying off to do, assuming that he is indeed going to finish this in two more books.

Right now we have Bran, Jon/Ghost/whatever, Mel, Davos, Stannis, Theon, Asha, Damphair, Euron, Victarion, Cersi, Jamie, Brienne, Joncon, Aegon, Arianne, Areo, (Doran? can't remember), Arya, Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, Selmy. That's 22 at least, plus whoever I forgot to mention. AGoT had 8 until we lost Ned. I bet ADoS will have something similar. There's a bloodbath coming.

Forgot Sansa ;p

I think Jamie will at least survive the next book as well as Cercei. I see JonCon dying probably not because of greyscale but as a sacrfice to save Arianne and/or Aegon. Jon Snow wontbe a POV for most of the book maybe three chapters like Bran, who will also have a reduced amount of pov due to his knowlodge. Brienne wil die in a trial by combat agains Jamie.

Archived