pov character deaths

the wolf warg

Strange that no one mentioned Jorah.

Anyhow, I don't think GRRM likes head-hopping between too many POV characters and only introduces a new POV when he absolutely has to. Areo is a good example of this. He wanted to give us eyes in Dorne without revealing Doran or Arianne's mindset to the reader too early. He had to do something similar with Ser Arys but neatly tied that one off soon after. There are not too many like Areo who are still alive but whose POV we never returned to. So now he's got a lot more tying off to do, assuming that he is indeed going to finish this in two more books.

Right now we have Bran, Jon/Ghost/whatever, Mel, Davos, Stannis, Theon, Asha, Damphair, Euron, Victarion, Cersi, Jamie, Brienne, Joncon, Aegon, Arianne, Areo, (Doran? can't remember), Arya, Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, Selmy. That's 22 at least, plus whoever I forgot to mention. AGoT had 8 until we lost Ned. I bet ADoS will have something similar. There's a bloodbath coming.

Jorah, Aegon, Doran, Euron and Stannis were never POVs. That' 20.

Bran, Jon, Mel, Davos, Stannis, Theon, Asha, Damphair, Euron, Victarion, Cersei, Jamie, Brienne, JonConn, Aegon, Arianne, Areo, Doran, Arya, Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, Selmy, Sam, Sansa, Littlefinger.

I know not all these are POVs, but the strike-thrus are the one's I have marked for death in TWoW.

I'm working under the assumption that getting Dany over to Westeros isn't going to happen till near the very end of the book. If she somehow miraculously wins Mereen and sets sail in her first chapter, then I think the underlined names will also perish in TWoW. Of the remaining, unmarked names, at least 1/2 will perish in the final book...perhaps more and its really impossible to say who will live and die of the main characters that have been around since book 1.

Jorah, Aegon, Doran, Euron and Stannis were never POVs. That' 20.

You're right about Aegon, Doran, Euron and Stannis, I think I was influenced by something earlier in the thread. But I do think I remember Jorah getting a chapter near the end of ADWD. Plus, I left out Sansa and Sam.

You're right about Aegon, Doran, Euron and Stannis, I think I was influenced by something earlier in the thread. But I do think I remember Jorah getting a chapter near the end of ADWD. Plus, I left out Sansa and Sam.

Jorah never had any POV.

Let's see...

-Victarion

-Barristan Selmy

-Theon Greyjoy

-Jon Connington

-Aeron Greyjoy

Vic, because he has turned abrasive, often acting before he thinks. Likely things won't end well if/once he reaches Dany.

Selmy, well...he is getting old, and he knows. At the same time I can see him doing a noble sacrifice.

Theon, he just seems so torned down in every way possible, both body and soul. How long could he possibly last? He has aged so much, his life has no doubt significantly shortened, health is destroyed. Even if he survives all the conflicts, he could face plenty of problems later on.

Connington, he does have greyscale afterall. And he is another one that I can see sacrificing his life for the cause, especially since he will suffer die anyway.

Aeron, I just don't find him that memorable. And I suppose his fate would be doomed on account that he is causing a rise against Euron, which could easily piss Euron off and he might send people after Aeron to kill.

I'll also put a vote in for Melisandre. I feel like her future will get sketchy/unstable. She can only hide her "true" self for so long also.

I'm on the fence with Asha and Brienne, even though they are common choices on this thread. Both of them are the only heirs left to their respective houses, so I can't see them going that fast. Maybe it is my own personal bias also, as I think it would be great if the two women inherited their titles and rule as ladies independently. Especially for Brienne, I would like it if she lived a peaceful life at her home.

Also on the fence with Cersei, who seems to have plenty of gusto left in her. So while I can definitely see her dying, I can't see her dying in TWOW. And if Jaime is supposed to die around the same time, the same applies to him. I think a lot of time, certain events and buildup need to happen first. Plus, we still have trial by combat, Tommen with his throne and the continued court conflicts with the Tyrells, and possibly Martells as they are sneaking their way through. I wonder what would be going on in KL if Cersei was dead? All the other Lannisters are gone or dead.

• 1 month later...

Jorah never had any POV.

Appologies, when I turned to the chapter titled The Discarded Knight, for some reason I expected it to be Jorah, not Barristan who thusfar had been titled The Queensgaurd or something like that. By the end of the book I was so confused I thought it had been Jorah. Sorry. :-(

I just don't see Cercei or Jaime dying until Book 7. I also don't see Asha dying at all, or Brienne, for the reasons mentioned above. The only major POV characters to die thus far were Ned and Cat, and Cat hasn't even stayed dead. All the big characters - Robert, khal Drogo, Viserys, Robb, Tywin, Joffrey - to die were non POVs. I think that trend will continue in TWOW. I don't count Jon, because we all know he's probably not dead/not permanently dead. It is the final book where the big POVs will be in danger, except maybe Theon. Even Theon needs to live long enough for the second kingsmoot to happen - GRRM didn't set that up for nothing...

• 5 months later...

Barristan- He will probably die in the battle of Mereen, but not before lopping off Hizdahr zo Loraq's head

Brienne- Most likely going to sacrifice herself to save Jaime and/or Pod

Asha- Will probably sacrifice herself to save Theon

Jon Connington- If the greyscale doesn't do him in then the fighting will

and one crackpot death...

Arya- She won't die without doing something really important first, and her death would probably be towards the end of the book

POV goners:

Jon Connington (WOW)

Melisandre (WOW)

Aeron Greyjoy (WOW)

Victarion Greyjoy (WOW)

Areo Hotah (WOW)

Arya Stark

Theon or Asha Greyjoy (I'm mixed on this one. I think Asha is pregnant and her child will be raised by either the impotent Theon or Asha herself.)

Jaime Lannister (In the last book, after he knocks up Brienne.)

Cersei Lannister (She meets her end at Casterly Rock, in the last book, by Jaime or Tyrion, out of pity for the broken thing she will have become.)

Arianne Martell (I'm not sure about her.)

Arys Oakheart

Quentyn Martell

Eddard Stark

Catelyn Stark

POV survivors:

Daenerys Targaryen

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow (I expect him to survive/revive from his current conundrum and would rather he didn't "die" twice.)

Bran Stark (Stuck to the weirnet.)

Sansa Stark

Samwell Tarly

Brienne Tarth

Davos Seaworth (He finally makes it home. I'd be sad if GRRM killed off Ned-lite.)

Asha or Theon Greyjoy

Barristan Selmy (The old man just keeps going, but if he does die, I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory.)

Also on the fence with Cersei, who seems to have plenty of gusto left in her. So while I can definitely see her dying, I can't see her dying in TWOW. And if Jaime is supposed to die around the same time, the same applies to him. I think a lot of time, certain events and buildup need to happen first. Plus, we still have trial by combat, Tommen with his throne and the continued court conflicts with the Tyrells, and possibly Martells as they are sneaking their way through. I wonder what would be going on in KL if Cersei was dead? All the other Lannisters are gone or dead.

:agree: it would give more gravity to cersei's story arc and the fate of the lannister dynasty to have her death at the last book. i think in TWoW she'll be experiencing a short-lived reversal of fate - having some of her lesser schemes happen for her, for example - and feeling invincible. only to have Jamie be the valonqar. :P

my other death predictions:

barristan

victarion

theon

and ... although i'm it gives me a blechy sinking feeling, arya (but maybe in book 7)

I am never calling him Davos again.

:cheers:

Bran, Jon, Mel, Davos, Stannis, Theon, Asha, Damphair, Euron, Victarion, Cersei, Jamie, Brienne, JonConn, Aegon, Arianne, Areo, Doran, Arya, Dany, Jorah, Tyrion, Selmy, Sam, Sansa, Littlefinger.

I know not all these are POVs, but the strike-thrus are the one's I have marked for death in TWoW.

I'm working under the assumption that getting Dany over to Westeros isn't going to happen till near the very end of the book. If she somehow miraculously wins Mereen and sets sail in her first chapter, then I think the underlined names will also perish in TWoW. Of the remaining, unmarked names, at least 1/2 will perish in the final book...perhaps more and its really impossible to say who will live and die of the main characters that have been around since book 1.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Theon will die in the next book. GRRM only kills characters when they are no longer useful.

Bran - Won't die in the books himself, but will only live in the tree. Will probably have very few POV chapters.

Jon - I doubt we will see his POV show up for a while and when it does, it will probably be as Ghost.

Mel - Will die in one of the next two books, probably book 6.

Davos - For some reason I think Davos will live, he has proven to be a survivor.

Theon - I believe somehow Theon or the Reader will end up ruling the Iron Islands.

Asha - Asha is too ambicious for her own good, I don't think she'll make it past her usefulness, getting Theon into power.

Damphair - Definitely will die in book 6.

Victarion - Definitely will die in book 6, after bringing Dany a fleet of ships to get to Westeros.

Cersei - Will die in book 6, either by her own hand, by Jamie's hand or by Loras' hand.

Jamie - Will end up leading the BwB.

Brienne - Will be killed by Jamie, she'll let him kill her.

Jon Con - Will die from his disease, after infecting a shit load of people.

Arianne - Will become Aegon's queen.

Areo - Will die in book 7 from doing something awesome.

Arya - Will die in book 7 after assassinating a dragon or something cool.

Dany - Will die in book 7 after saving Westeros from the Others.

Tyrion - Lives.

Barry - Dies after betraying Dany for Lemore and Aegon. (Betraying for love)

Sam - Lives.

Sansa - Will kill LF and live in the end.

Barry - Dies after betraying Dany for Lemore and Aegon. (Betraying for love)

:agree:

Theon - I believe somehow Theon or the Reader will end up ruling the Iron Islands.

Asha - Asha is too ambicious for her own good, I don't think she'll make it past her usefulness, getting Theon into power.

i think it might also go the other way. i can see asha's arc having a twist, and her ruling the Iron Islands or her and theon ruling together. i chalk up theon's death more to the bittersweet end of his redemption arc, but if there's one thing that i have to keep reminding myself while reading ASoIaF is to prepare for surprises. :stillsick:

i think it might also go the other way. i can see asha's arc having a twist, and her ruling the Iron Islands or her and theon ruling together. i chalk up theon's death more to the bittersweet end of his redemption arc, but if there's one thing that i have to keep reminding myself while reading ASoIaF is to prepare for surprises. :stillsick:

Yeah, usually there is less "bittersweet" and more of the "just bitter"

Archived