Does Roose Bolton even care?

Cat Stark

Hmmmm, what does Roose Bolton care about?

-Peace and Quiet.

-I'm pretty sure at some point they comment that he was surprised that he actually likes having Fat Walda around.

-First Night

-Hunting

My feeling has been that Bolton has cancer or something like that, and that's why he doesn't really care about anyone/anything anymore.

Roose, in the little we hear him say, seemed to be very fond of Domeric and has maybe lost it since his death. Ramsay is the only son he has and I thinkbhebstill wants the Dreadfort to pass to some form of Bolton blood. He realizes that Ramsay will probably kill any of his future sons, so, that is where we are with Roose and Ramsay. I don't think Roose will grieve if Ramsay happens to kick the bucket.

He supported Robb Stark up until Robb started screwing everything up with his decisions outside of the Battlefield. Plus, Robb lost the North. Do the Northern Lords really care about what happens in the South? Robb Stark declared himself King in the North and kept going further South, until he lost the North. Roose knew his best chance for survival was to side with the Lannisters. I think he also thought the best way to get back to the North and win was to turn on the Starks. I think the Red Wedding happens with or without Roose Bolton. The only difference is that Roose gets killed at it too. Winter is Coming and Roose Bolton is doing what he needs to do to survive it.

I hope we get a Roose POV at some point, just so we can get a picture of what goes on his head. He'll probably die at the end of the POV, but that's a good thing.

I was just thinking, remember when Robb wanted to send the Greatjon on that campaign instead of Roose? Then Catelyn talked him into sending Bolton instead. I wonder how everything would have turned out if Robb kept Roose by his side instead of Umber.

I think the Greatjon was too in love with Robb to give him good counsel. Roose may have been a good voice to have when Robb decided to marry Jeyne. Plus a guy like Roose is a good guy to keep an eye on. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

He does insist that the leeches drain the bad blood from him. Basically he equates having emotions as bad blood, when speaking of others and leechings.

Blood seems to equate with some sort of "life force" or "soul" in ASoIaF; it's not just blood, as we understand it, i.e. red corpuscles and so forth floating around in plasma. We have king's blood, wolf's blood, blood of the dragon; Beric's blood lights his sword on fire, a drop of blood can tell the future, and Mirri Maz Dur uses a stallion's blood to work her spell, etc. A shadow of the self remains in your bones when you die. Blood is made in bone marrow, so perhaps this is why the "bones remember"?

That Bolton leeches out his blood can be seen as simply a metaphor for his emotional emptiness. On the other hand, because so much of ASoIaF seems to be both metaphorical and literal, perhaps when he drains himself of blood, he really is losing a little bit of his soul?

The irony is that he thinks Ramsay's blood is tainted by his bastardy, when in all likelihood, it is Roose's "bad blood" that Ramsay inherited.

I find it interesting that Roose is the cold, bloodless sociopath, while Ramsay is the wild, crazed killer. We get these two archetypes with the Starks as well, with Jon as the cold one, and Rickon as the wild one. (Not saying Jon is Roose or Rickon is Ramsay - just that they occupy the same ends of the character spectrum, imho.)

Ser Illin',

Did Randyl Tarley kill any of his kin? I think he felt that Samwell was enough of a coward that he would only have to threaten him and he goes out of his way to do this in a theatrical manner just to be on the safe side.

Ladywhiskers,

Isn't Roose's surprise more that a woman he raped and whose husband he killed would have the audacity (or stupidity) to turn up at his gates and ask for maintenance money rather than being surprised that babies are the result of sex?

I wonder if Roose is rasher than generally thought, I suppose the chance at overthrowing the Starks is a fair bit rarer than a once in a lifetime opportunity though. Provided Fat Walda starts bearing him some children then Roose is still in position to have Ramsey turned into the next Reek to aid their education into their Dreadfort heritage.

To me, Lady Dustin sums up what I think Roose is all about:

"...No cup of wine is sipped until he sees Manderly drink of the same cask. I think he would be pleased if the fat man attempted some betrayal. It would amuse him. Roose has no feelings, you see. Those leeches that he loves so well sucked all the passions out of him years ago. He does not love, he does not hate, he does not grieve. This is a game to him, mildly diverting. Some men hunt, some hawk, some tumble dice. Roose plays with men. You and me, these Freys, Lord Manderly, his plump new wife, even his bastard, we are but his playthings."

In other words, he's doing it for the lulz.

True. I hear Lord Manderly licks his lips and wonders what she would be like with a sour cream and dill garnish when he looks at her.

Manderly should keep his fat smacking lips to himself.

Back to the Roose thing, how do you think he would react when he discoves 'Arya' is missing? Will he continue to play it cool as usual?

What do I think?

Wasn't there fear in Roose's eyes when he saw the scuffle between Manderlys and Freys? Roose knows the loyalty of the other northern lords was provisional on all of them playing along that Jeyne Poole was Arya who was married to Ramsey and that Ramsey and Arya then play happy families in Winterfell.

First word is getting out that Ramsey isn't being an entirely perfect gentleman towards 'arya'. Everybody there will know the rumours about Ramsey and lady hornwood and no doubt his girl hunting too. Bad behaviour towards a stark isn't going to make anybody comfortable.

Then 'Arya' disappears. This is an Emperor's new clothes moment. No Stark. no legitimacy. If Manderly is openly defiant others will be tempted to join him particularly now they have seen Ramsey at close quarters and don't fancy the idea of Ramsey as future warden of the north.

So I think its a dangerous point for Roose, particularly if he can't convincingly defeat Stannis the snowbound.

What do I think?

Wasn't there fear in Roose's eyes when he saw the scuffle between Manderlys and Freys? Roose knows the loyalty of the other northern lords was provisional on all of them playing along that Jeyne Poole was Arya who was married to Ramsey and that Ramsey and Arya then play happy families in Winterfell.

First word is getting out that Ramsey isn't being an entirely perfect gentleman towards 'arya'. Everybody there will know the rumours about Ramsey and lady hornwood and no doubt his girl hunting too. Bad behaviour towards a stark isn't going to make anybody comfortable.

Its strange because at this point I would have thought Roose would have had harsher words with Ramsay. If Lady Dustin's analysis was right and Roose sees everyone around him as pieces; shouldn't he have assured this crucial 'Arya' piece was well played?

Then 'Arya' disappears. This is an Emperor's new clothes moment. No Stark. no legitimacy. If Manderly is openly defiant others will be tempted to join him particularly now they have seen Ramsey at close quarters and don't fancy the idea of Ramsey as future warden of the north.

So I think its a dangerous point for Roose, particularly if he can't convincingly defeat Stannis the snowbound.

Again, Roose has already been shown to be aware of Manderly's desire to reject him. What Roose needs to do is probably reign in Ramsay before he does anything stupid due to the Arya disappearance and also reconsolidate the alliance he has with the Ryswells if possible. Though I think he will be able to stage himself properly against Stannis.

Agreed but Roose is playing games too. Fear of Ramsey will restrain some. The worse Ramsey is, the better Roose looks to others. Having lost Arya and with all the murders having made everybody jumpy and fearful I think it will be very difficult to keep control.

Agreed but Roose is playing games too. Fear of Ramsey will restrain some. The worse Ramsey is, the better Roose looks to others. Having lost Arya and with all the murders having made everybody jumpy and fearful I think it will be very difficult to keep control.

That's true, its clear that Roose is playing games. The Arya and Reek disappearance will change the tempo of the game that he was smart enough to set. All that remains to be seen is how well he can handle this new problem. Will Ramsay's reaction to Arya's disappearance be more of a hinderance than a benefit this time round? Adding to the fact that most lords know how badly he has been treating 'Arya', do you think fingers will be pointed at other houses in helping Reek and Arya escape? But you are right, Roose's job now will be keeping control or maybe even keeping it hidden that there is no longer a 'Stark' in Winterfell.

That's true, its clear that Roose is playing games. The Arya and Reek disappearance will change the tempo of the game that he was smart enough to set. All that remains to be seen is how well he can handle this new problem. Will Ramsay's reaction to Arya's disappearance be more of a hinderance than a benefit this time round? Adding to the fact that most lords know how badly he has been treating 'Arya', do you think fingers will be pointed at other houses in helping Reek and Arya escape? But you are right, Roose's job now will be keeping control or maybe even keeping it hidden that there is no longer a 'Stark' in Winterfell.

If Roose is as smart as he thinks he is then he should use the remaining spearwives or Mance (if he's captured) to point out that Stannis is in cahoots with the wildlings and that they took his dear daughter-in-law.

Archived