No more POV, or are there?

protar

Well I don't want to cause any argument Blackseer so please feel free to ignore this post. I completely forgot about Jaime being at KL in AFFC but if anything it furthers my argument about KL always having more than one POV. And personally I don't think Cersei will be on the council meetings any more. Kevan had displaced her as regent and the Tyrells, (being in almost complete control of KL.) are unlikely to accept her back. Cersei will at best be manipulating things behind the scenes so we need someone with more knowledge on the political goings on (Tyene with Nym passing on information to her.).

Yes Theon isn't a fighter, even against Tyrion, but providing we've got Ghost!Jon it's not a problem. And personally I think we'll get at least 3 or 4 POV's of Jon warging Ghost. And yes I'm aware that Beric was changed by his ressurection. I think something like that will happen to Jon.

If Stannis gets Winterfell he'll probably make that his seat. It seems to be much more defensible and in better repair than the Nightfort. And if he does go to the Nightfort, there's plenty of opportunity for Melisandre to join him there.

I also enjoyed Joncon's chapters more than Brienne's, which is why it's a shame we didn't get more of him. So my personal opinion (which I'm not expecting you to conform to.) is that we should focus on a smaller (though still fairly large.) amount of POV's giving all of them an interesting story arc.

I think it's unlikely we'll get that many Ghost!Jon POV's, unless they're shorter than usual - it's hard to write, and can be really tiresome to read. Besides, many details escape a direwolf's attention, unless we're counting on Jon's warging abilities being so powerful that it won't be the regular direwolf POV, but something more elaborate, with more [human] understanding.

And I agree Stannis will probably decide to stay in Winterfell - if not because the castle is bigger and has a better structure, at least because it's warmer than on the Wall, and Winter has arrived. I doubt Melisandre or anyone else will stay at the Wall much longer, since it's supposed to fall (at least partly) to allow the Others' invasion. Though Mel probably has some kind of protection against them that other humans don't,through her magic, and she would want to strengthen that by staying near the Wall.

Tyrion comanded his own troops. He wielded an axe. He killed people. He was injured and almost lost his head. So he was a fighter. He fought both battles, which I doubt Theon will do at the moment. Hopefully, he can still shoot his bow (I'm not sure how many fingers you need), but he won't in the battle of Ice. There should be no way he can survive and still fight for Stannis at the moment.

I doubt Theon will be able to shoot his bow. It's not just the amount of fingers he has left, but to shoot a bow you need firm hands - he has everything but that. And I wonder if he still has that sharp vision. Regardless, he's a seasoned fighter, so his POV will probably be enough in the battle.

I think it's unlikely we'll get that many Ghost!Jon POV's, unless they're shorter than usual - it's hard to write, and can be really tiresome to read. Besides, many details escape a direwolf's attention, unless we're counting on Jon's warging abilities being so powerful that it won't be the regular direwolf POV, but something more elaborate, with more [human] understanding.

And I agree Stannis will probably decide to stay in Winterfell - if not because the castle is bigger and has a better structure, at least because it's warmer than on the Wall, and Winter has arrived. I doubt Melisandre or anyone else will stay at the Wall much longer, since it's supposed to fall (at least partly) to allow the Others' invasion. Though Mel probably has some kind of protection against them that other humans don't,through her magic, and she would want to strengthen that by staying near the Wall.

Well I think we could get about 3 Ghost!Jon POV's, spread throughout the first two thirds of the book, so that's not too much, especially if they were on the shorter end of things. Then once Jon is resurrected we can get about 5 Jon chapters in the last third of the book.

I don't think The Wall will fall until the end of TWOW. Until then I think that the Night's Watch will be broken at least temporally, with The Wall being held by the Queen's men and the wildlings (an uneasy alliance no doubt but an alliance nontheless.)

I like the idea of TYENE being a viewpoint character. The Faith of the Seven are the players inside King's Landing at this moment in time, so it is important that we get some sort of idea what they are planning. If Dorne declares for Aegon, which seems likely given the events in ARIANNE II and THE DRAGONTAMER, Tyene's voice could proved to be the undoing of the Lannister/Tyrell alliance.

I doubt that we will see any Ghost!Jon viewpoints. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I really struggle reading the sections of the chapters where the Stark kids are warging. I don't think I could sit through a whole chapter worth. Besides, what could Ghost!Jon actually show us? I doubt that Bowen Marsh and his fellow conspirators would be delighted to have a direwolf around, not to mention Queen Selyse who is unnerved by him.

When/if, Jon gets resurrected, I hope that we don't get any chapters from his viewpoint. He has done great things for the realm. He has united the men of the north under one banner against the true enemy. If he is the last hero, let him do it without a point of view. Dead is dead in terms of points of view.

I like the idea of TYENE being a viewpoint character. The Faith of the Seven are the players inside King's Landing at this moment in time, so it is important that we get some sort of idea what they are planning. If Dorne declares for Aegon, which seems likely given the events in ARIANNE II and THE DRAGONTAMER, Tyene's voice could proved to be the undoing of the Lannister/Tyrell alliance.

I doubt that we will see any Ghost!Jon viewpoints. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I really struggle reading the sections of the chapters where the Stark kids are warging. I don't think I could sit through a whole chapter worth. Besides, what could Ghost!Jon actually show us? I doubt that Bowen Marsh and his fellow conspirators would be delighted to have a direwolf around, not to mention Queen Selyse who is unnerved by him.

When/if, Jon gets resurrected, I hope that we don't get any chapters from his viewpoint. He has done great things for the realm. He has united the men of the north under one banner against the true enemy. If he is the last hero, let him do it without a point of view. Dead is dead in terms of points of view.

I don't think Ghost will be staying at The Wall. I reckon if we were to get any Ghost!Jon POV's they'd go as follows:

1: Ghost escaping from The Wall and running off towards Winterfell

2: Ghost getting to Winterfell in time to participate in the battle, ripping throats and stuff

3: I'm thinking he'll be going down into the crypts of Winterfell with Theon.

Those could be spread pretty evenly throughout the 1st 2/3 of the book, then in the last third Jon gets rezzed and I'm going to lower my previous guess and say we get three normal Jon POV's. And keep in mind that Ghost!Jon might be more aware than usual warg chapters if the experience gives Jon a boost in warg power.

Well I would have liked to see PoV chapters for one of the following: -

1. A Tyrell, preferably Loras or Margaery. House Tyrell is up to something & I want to know what!
  2. One of the older Sand Snakes; they are quite fascinating characters.
  3. Tormund Giantsbane; I think he'd be a fun PoV character.

Though I suppose there are still the prologue & epilogue chapters in the next two books, so it might happen...

Well I would have liked to see PoV chapters for one of the following: -

1. A Tyrell, preferably Loras or Margaery. House Tyrell is up to something & I want to know what!
  2. One of the older Sand Snakes; they are quite fascinating characters.
  3. Tormund Giantsbane; I think he'd be a fun PoV character.

Though I suppose there are still the prologue & epilogue chapters in the next two books, so it might happen...

I think we could be getting a Tyrell POV, perhaps not in Winds but in Dream perhaps. Afterall by that point the amount of POV's would have been trimmed down so it wouldn't bloat the story too much. I'm, thinking either Loras, or Willas.

I think the reason we've got no Tyrell POV's is because it would reveal some pretty heavy spoilers for the series. They're planning something if you ask me. No idea what, but something. Perhaps in book 7 or 8 (yes I think there'll be eight.) we'll get one, but I don't see much purpose for one at the moment. Martin needs to get the Martell and Greyjoy stuff finished or at least tidied up before we ge POV's from another major house.

That's something I really don't get. We get 4 Greyjoy PoVs, whose involvement in the main plot has been minimal at most, but 0 Tyrell PoV, even though they have been key players from the start.

That's something I really don't get. We get 4 Greyjoy PoVs, whose involvement in the main plot has been minimal at most, but 0 Tyrell PoV, even though they have been key players from the start.

I thinks it's because the Tyrells have a hidden agenda that Martin doesn't want to spoil. But he's got to reveal it at some point so why not through a POV.

Doran is killed by Balon Swann after he finds out Doran is plotting against the Iron Throne....Areo then kills Swann and is left to decide if he will stay with Arianne or go to KL with Nymeria......I WANT MORE AREO

You...like...Areo?

The Tyrells just want to be on the winning side....If they are hiding anything, it will have something to do with Loras. Why hasn't he died yet????

Yes but I think they've still got some scheme or other that Martin doesn't want to reveal. If we do get a Loras POV it could be called the burned man just to tease all those Sandor fans.

You...like...Areo?

Lol, I know there is a lot of Areo hate on the board, but i think hes really cool even though his chapters haven't been that exciting. I hope he is developed more, thats why I kind of want Doran to die, so Areo is free to move on and get more interesting. If he would stay with Arianne, it would eliminate the need for his POV, but he could be developed in her chapters.

Lol, I know there is a lot of Areo hate on the board, but i think hes really cool even though his chapters haven't been that exciting. I hope he is developed more, thats why I kind of want Doran to die, so Areo is free to move on and get more interesting. If he would stay with Arianne, it would eliminate the need for his POV, but he could be developed in her chapters.

Well from the Arianne chapter Martin read out he doesn't appear to be with her, but there isn't really anything going on in Dorne at the moment either. So I expect his POV will be retired at least for Winds, but he'll probably get a few POV's at some point to give his character closure. As in death.

Well from the Arianne chapter Martin read out he doesn't appear to be with her, but there isn't really anything going on in Dorne at the moment either. So I expect his POV will be retired at least for Winds, but he'll probably get a few POV's at some point to give his character closure. As in death.

I was saying he may go to her if Doran were to die. But if Areo does die, I hope its a cool death either defending Doran or Arianne somehow.

Areo is not the most exciting person but I do like him. He continues Martin's tradition of having a loyal observer POV next to the ruler instead of the ruler POV (see: Davos/Stannis, Cately/Robb, Ned/Robert). Actually no royal ruler has had a POV so far except for Daenerys, hm. (Cersei's Queen Regent, and Arianne's not ruling yet).

Anyway, it kind of makes me sad that there will supposedly be no more new POVs, I always found that exciting. But there are rather too many of them now and if anything GRRM is going to get started on killing them off :( I'm also pretty sure he's said there will never be a Littlefinger or Varys POV but I like the idea of Varys having a single chapter towards the very end when we are meant to finally know everything. As for Littlefinger, I don't think he'll make it to the end anyway.

Areo is not the most exciting person but I do like him. He continues Martin's tradition of having a loyal observer POV next to the ruler instead of the ruler POV (see: Davos/Stannis, Cately/Robb, Ned/Robert). Actually no royal ruler has had a POV so far except for Daenerys, hm. (Cersei's Queen Regent, and Arianne's not ruling yet).

Anyway, it kind of makes me sad that there will supposedly be no more new POVs, I always found that exciting. But there are rather too many of them now and if anything GRRM is going to get started on killing them off :( I'm also pretty sure he's said there will never be a Littlefinger or Varys POV but I like the idea of Varys having a single chapter towards the very end when we are meant to finally know everything. As for Littlefinger, I don't think he'll make it to the end anyway.

I never noticed that tradition, but you're right. Tyrion's POV covered Tywin, and Connington covered Aegon, too. Between Arianne and Areo, Doran should be pretty well-covered. We know from GRRM's reading that Arianne is heading north to meet Aegon at Storm's End, so there's another potential look at Aegon. I like not seeing directly into the minds of master schemers like Littlefinger, Varys, or Doran. It's more suspenseful not knowing exactly what everyone's thinking, and seeing their plan unfold in real time. How lame would it have been if we had known all along that Varys and the Martells were for the Targaryens, or that Littlefinger orchestrated the war between Stark and Lannister, or that Tywin was plotting the Bolton-Frey betrayal of Robb? As a reader, I prefer the vantage point of the pieces in the game of thrones, rather than the players.

Archived