No more POV, or are there?

protar

I do feel that it is almost necessary that we have a Euron Valyrian flashback POV in order to tie up the loose ends as to where the horn actually came from.

I think that the horn's origins will (and should.) be left a mystery. Martin's never really been big on explaining how magic works in ASOIAF. I'd rather any additional POVs focused on the current plotlines, not making new ones.

I think that the horn's origins will (and should.) be left a mystery. Martin's never really been big on explaining how magic works in ASOIAF. I'd rather any additional POVs focused on the current plotlines, not making new ones.

The Horn's origins are not simply about the magic. IF Euron was able to to go into Valyria, then the man himself has some kind of magical power. I want something better than "Yeah I jsut went into Valyria because I can and the horn was just there and i took it".

The Horn's origins are not simply about the magic. IF Euron was able to to go into Valyria, then the man himself has some kind of magical power. I want something better than "Yeah I jsut went into Valyria because I can and the horn was just there and i took it".

I think we'll be seeing Euron from Sam's POV, like perhaps he attacks Oldtown and Sam is kidnapped. Perhaps we can see some of that through his POV? I to am interested in Euron's powers if he has any, but I'd rather we didn't get a whole new POV for it. That's how Martin bloated the story up so much in the first place, by adding new POV's at every little complication rather than being creative with the current ones. New POV's should imo only be introduced where they're definitelly needed.

• 1 month later...

Maybe we'll see it through Aeron. Or we won't see it at all.

I'm not seeing how Aeron would show us that but you never know. And I think we will. Didn't Martin say we would. He definitelly said we'd be seeing Willas and he's at Highgarden without the means or motive to leave.

Martin confirmed that we'd be seeing Casterly Rock and Highgarden in TWOW. I'm thinking that Highgarden will be the prologue chapter, but I'm not sure who the Casterly Rock POV will be. Didn't Martin say that he was going to include it in ADWD? If so, one of the current POVs has to go there.

Martin confirmed that we'd be seeing Casterly Rock and Highgarden in TWOW. I'm thinking that Highgarden will be the prologue chapter, but I'm not sure who the Casterly Rock POV will be. Didn't Martin say that he was going to include it in ADWD? If so, one of the current POVs has to go there.

Did he definitelly say it would be in TWOW? Is there a SSM to confirm it perhaps?

Or he could introduce new ones.

Or he could introduce new ones.

I think we'll be seeing Casterly Rock from Cersei's POV. I don't know about Highgarden but I don't think it'll be a new POV. Martin has said we'll be meeting Willas, who's at HG, but has also said that he's trying not to add more POV's. Whether he will or not is up for debate ofc (hence this topic :P .) but what it means is that he's planned for a current POV to meet Willas.

I think we'll be seeing Casterly Rock from Cersei's POV. I don't know about Highgarden but I don't think it'll be a new POV. Martin has said we'll be meeting Willas, who's at HG, but has also said that he's trying not to add more POV's. Whether he will or not is up for debate ofc (hence this topic :P .) but what it means is that he's planned for a current POV to meet Willas.

Yup, there's a good chance of her going to CR, but who will cover King's Landing then? She's the only POV currently there.

I've said before that it would require all 20 remaining POV's to be in the next book, if Martin wants to close the series with the 7th book ADOS. However, I think it is possibel that Martin just discards a POV if he doesn't need him anymore. Instead off closing a POV by killing off the character he could just stop his role as a POV but still have him part of a series and introduce new ones accordingly. For example, we have Jaime and Brienne together now, instead off both being POV's , Jaime's would be enough as it would offer info on what's hapenning, while offering a naive perspective on what's going on, since we don't really know what hapenned between Brienne and Stoneheart.

Same goes with Areo Hotah, he doesn't need to die, he can just become a background character if Arianne is around.

Yup, there's a good chance of her going to CR, but who will cover King's Landing then? She's the only POV currently there.

I've said before that it would require all 20 remaining POV's to be in the next book, if Martin wants to close the series with the 7th book ADOS. However, I think it is possibel that Martin just discards a POV if he doesn't need him anymore. Instead off closing a POV by killing off the character he could just stop his role as a POV but still have him part of a series and introduce new ones accordingly. For example, we have Jaime and Brienne together now, instead off both being POV's , Jaime's would be enough as it would offer info on what's hapenning, while offering a naive perspective on what's going on, since we don't really know what hapenned between Brienne and Stoneheart.

Same goes with Areo Hotah, he doesn't need to die, he can just become a background character if Arianne is around.

I thinking that that's what will happen. A lot of POV's are converging. I think TWOW will have the following POV's in order of how many chapters I think they'll have (I've already posted this but it was a while back so I'll reiterate.):

.Tyrion - 11 chapters

.Daenerys - 10 chapters

.Cersei - 8 chapters

.Sansa - 8 chapters

.Theon - 7 chapters

.Jaime - 7 chapters

.Arianne - 7 chapters

.Samwell - 7 chapters

.Jon/Ghost - 6 chapters (2 as Ghost, 4 as Jon.)

.Arya - 6 chapters

.Melisandre - 6 chapters

.Tyene - 6 chapters

.Davos - 5 chapters

.Victarion - 5 chapters

.Aeron - 5 chapters

.Jon Connington - 5 chapters

.Bran - 1 chapter

To clarify I don't think we'll be seeing Casterly Rock till book 7, as I'm still not sure if Martin said that we'd be seeing it in TWOW. A quote would be good. But in anycase Tyene would act as a second POV for KL, and if Aegon should conquer it, Arianne would also work as a POV, and Joncon if he's still alive.

Post #55: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/63218-grrm-in-toronto/page__st__40 I don't think even Tyrion will get that many chapters. I think 8 will be the maximum that any POV will get.

All that post says is that we'll see them in the upcoming novels, so it doesn't neccessarily mean TWOW.

And I think 11 chapters sounds about right for Tyrion. Obviously I'm just guessing but from what we know my projection for his chapters was:

1. Persuades the second sons to switch sides, they help free the prisoners and flee to Meereen.

2. Enter Meereen, interacts with Barristan

3. Instated as one of Barristans adviser, helps uncover the Harpy

4. Excecutes Harpy, preparing for main attack against Yunkai

5. Battle of Fire

6. Also battle of fire. Penny dies?

7. Meets Dany

8. Travelogue chapter :( has split with Dany (she's going east across the sunset sea.).

9. Arrives at Volantis

10. Slave revolt in Volantis

11. Preparing to go to Pentos

But who knows? From how the pieces are positioned I can't see how we'll get the Battle of fire finished before halfway through TWOW, but Martin has said he's opening with it so I don't know. Let's hope to being pleasantly surprised.

All that post says is that we'll see them in the upcoming novels, so it doesn't neccessarily mean TWOW.

And I think 11 chapters sounds about right for Tyrion. Obviously I'm just guessing but from what we know my projection for his chapters was:

1. Persuades the second sons to switch sides, they help free the prisoners and flee to Meereen.

5. Battle of Fire

7. Meets Dany

8. Travelogue chapter :( has split with Dany (she's going east across the sunset sea.).

9. Arrives at Volantis

But who knows? From how the pieces are positioned I can't see how we'll get the Battle of fire finished before halfway through TWOW, but Martin has said he's opening with it so I don't know. Let's hope to being pleasantly surprised.

I thought the Battle of Fire would be his second chapter. Barristan's about to storm out to face the Yunkish forces, Victarion's arrived, Tyrion's about to turn his cloak, and Daenerys is about to get herself a khalasar. I also don't think she'll be heading east; she needs to free the slaves in Volantis and meet up with Illyrio.

I thought the Battle of Fire would be his second chapter. Barristan's about to storm out to face the Yunkish forces, Victarion's arrived, Tyrion's about to turn his cloak, and Daenerys is about to get herself a khalasar. I also don't think she'll be heading east; she needs to free the slaves in Volantis and meet up with Illyrio.

It's possible of course and that's how I'd like it to happen, but I don't really see how it can work. The main problem is Dany. She's in the position to get herself a Khalasar yes, but I think it likely that she's due into a trip to Vaes Dothrak: We have that prophecy in the HotU with the Dosh Khalleen bowing down to her and unless Martin's planning yet more "Adventures in Essos" this is her last chance to do that. Now if Martin were to abandon that prophecy and have Dany high tail it back to Meereen straight away then sure I can see the battle taking place within the first hundred pages. But as it stands it doesn't look like that to me. I think what might happen is something along the lines of Jon's arc in the second half of SOS, where we've got an ongoing battle throughout the first half of TWOW, then a climax towards the middle of the book.

And as to Dany crossing the sunset sea I was going by Quaithe's prophecies.

It's possible of course and that's how I'd like it to happen, but I don't really see how it can work. The main problem is Dany. She's in the position to get herself a Khalasar yes, but I think it likely that she's due into a trip to Vaes Dothrak: We have that prophecy in the HotU with the Dosh Khalleen bowing down to her and unless Martin's planning yet more "Adventures in Essos" this is her last chance to do that. Now if Martin were to abandon that prophecy and have Dany high tail it back to Meereen straight away then sure I can see the battle taking place within the first hundred pages. But as it stands it doesn't look like that to me. I think what might happen is something along the lines of Jon's arc in the second half of SOS, where we've got an ongoing battle throughout the first half of TWOW, then a climax towards the middle of the book.

And as to Dany crossing the sunset sea I was going by Quaithe's prophecies.

Martin said he'd open the book with the battle in Mereen and the battle in Wintertell. I guess that'll be within the first 100/200 chapters.

Martin said he'd open the book with the battle in Mereen and the battle in Wintertell. I guess that'll be within the first 100/200 chapters.

Pages I hope you mean :P

Pages I hope you mean :P

Martin said he will change the structure of the next 4 books. There will be 400 chapters in each one, with more than 100 POVs. It is known.

5. Battle of Fire

7. Meets Dany

9. Arrives at Volantis

There wouldn't be a problem with this number of chapters if the first 7 are within the first 300 pages, but that's improbable. And while I agree that Tyrion is splitting with Dany, I think he will go down the Demon Road and the volume will end with him reaching Valyria, but that is y personal opinion.

Martin said he will change the structure of the next 4 books. There will be 400 chapters in each one, with more than 100 POVs. It is known.

There wouldn't be a problem with this number of chapters if the first 7 are within the first 300 pages, but that's improbable. And while I agree that Tyrion is splitting with Dany, I think he will go down the Demon Road and the volume will end with him reaching Valyria, but that is y personal opinion.

Yeah I was thinking of something along those lines were Dany and Tyrion get alot of chapters squashed into the first few hundred pages, and then for the rest of the book, after the battle of fire we only get one every so often.

If we go by my estimates (which I'll admit are probably off.), i'm guessing that before Dany and co make their journey to Westeros, we'll get 7 Tyrion chapters and 6 Dany chapters, complimented by 3 Victarion chapters, which will be roughly 160 pages worth of Meereenese stuff. The battle of ice could probably be wrapped up much in fewer than that if we assume that Theon and Ghost/Jon will be the POV's for that battle. I'm guessing like 4 Theon chapters before/during the battle and only 2 Ghost chapters, so 60ish pages. So that's over 200 pages to wrap both of those battles up. With all the other stuff going on as well, I can't see the battles reaching their conclusion until 400ish pages in. That would still be fast paced, I just can't see it happening any other way from how the pieces are positioned, though to be fair, if TWOW is like SOS (which had 1216 pages.) 400 will be a third of the way through the book rather than halfway.

Archived