harrenhall

the wolf warg

Harrenhall is too big for any lord, but maybe BwB can make it their seat. By the end of the series it may be something like a free city, though it doesn't have ideal location. No important road, sea or big river nearby.

Look at the map again and you'll find it's smack dab in the center of Westeros, and it's located at the top of the lake, God's Eye, where the Blackwater Rush begins.

Yeah Harrenhal is pretty importantly located. It's the largest castle in Westeros meaning it can hold huge armies, it's situated near the border of the Riverlands and the Crown Lands and is near the King's Road with is pretty much the backbone of Westeros when it comes to across land trading. As fireeater22 said it's at the top of God's eye which is lead into the Blackwater rush so it could potentially invest KL.

Also we've got a major Old God's location, the Isle of Faces in the centre of the God's Eye, while currently Harrenhal is held by Ser Bonifer Hasty a devout knight. With The Faith becoming more Zealous could we be seeing a battle between the green men and Bonnifer's holy hundred at some point?

Also we've got a major Old God's location, the Isle of Faces in the centre of the God's Eye, while currently Harrenhal is held by Ser Bonifer Hasty a devout knight. With The Faith becoming more Zealous could we be seeing a battle between the green men and Bonnifer's holy hundred at some point?

I like the way you think, the Order of Green Men on the Isle of Faces and the carved weirwoods survived the Andal invasion; I've wondered how and why. If we go further there could be a holy war between the Faith Militant and Stannis and the Queen's men, worshippers of R'hollor and his army of Northmen made up mostly of worshippers of the Old Gods.

i know the north is the largest but aegon has the golden company and possibly a coming allegiance between him and dorne and its been said grrm read a chapter were he had captured storms end, so aegons army could be huge and we just dont know yet, not to mention dany could be coming to westeros with the entire dothrokia army at any time, the main reason they didnt respect her was because she was foriegn and kept talking about dragons that they knew to be gone, now shes the most powerful person in the east they could join her...harrenhal being the massive centraly located kingdom it is could easily hold one or both of there armys while they conquer

Harrenhal is cursed. Every house that ever held it came to ruin. Harren himself, Strongs, Lothstons, Whents. The only man to hold it during the war still alive is Roose Bolton and he most likely won't live much longer.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would burn it, level it and sow the ground with salt.

Its to big also. Littlefinger has been made lord Paramount of the Trident and is a financial wizard yet maintains the castle is ruinous to garrison and maintain.

It will come back into the story at some point I'm sure.

Also Aegon or Daenarys would have to reach Harrenhal. Sure its big but they'd need to take their own supplies the Riverlands are stripped bare.

Why would Aegon bypass Kingslanding to take a huge empty castle. Kingslanding is the capital and administrative centre of the 7 kingdoms. He already has Storms End a more defensible position and better provisioned to branch out from.

Post war no ruler of a united 7 kingdoms would use Harrenhal as their seat. Its just a castle, Kinglanding and the Red keep is where they'll be.

Any Lord who they grant it to will probably die or his house fall. Its cursed.

I like this idea ^.^ But I think anyone with some sense should simply destroy Harrenhall if they have the power to do so. It's too strategic a location to pass it to any Lord, and at the same time too poor to be occupied by a king. Could a few dragons destroy it? Or would something really massive be necessary?

My theory is that Sansa will go there with whoever she is married to, or will be married to, and will try to reassert Tully rulership of the Riverlands with help from the Vale/Stannis. I think she will go with Jon brainstorm of setting up a huge glassworks to produce greehouse glass, maybe in the hall of a 100 hearths, so it will become a huge factory. Sansa wont run it of course, she will be the figurehead. Not that shes a dummy but she is only 13-14.

well if aegons army controlled harrenhal and storms end he'd be perfectly setup to take kings landing they'd have no were to fall back to but the sea and even then the storm lords have a great fleet i believe so he would easyily be able to lay siege to kings landing. as for little finger taking harrenhal i think hes proved he doesnt want it because its to large i think hes going to take riverrun someway either using sansa as a pawn or maybe by joining someone and as a reward for service and as for the curse i think there all just coinsidence, but who better to break the curse than dany and her "dragons" the reason for the curse

I think that Harrenhal is symbolic of the Seven Kingdoms and how unwieldy they are when they're combined. It's basically an obscenely huge castle, too big for any reasonable person. It's a microcosm of Aegon I's idea of combining so many distinct areas into one big unmanageable mess. It was completed the day Aegon landed and Harren didn't keep it for long. It's seen more bad owners than good, and, like the Seven Kingdoms, has fallen into decay and disrepair because it's just too damn big.

It was originally the seat of the ironmen and I see it going back to Victarian or Asha as part of the price for bringing the iron born back into the fold.

I like to see the Ironborn TRY to defeat the Brotherhood. Ironmen have trouble walking when they are more then 7 feet from their ships. I really...really....really like to see them try and defeat the brotherhood where the lannisters and freys have failed. Hahaha Im almost begging for Euron to try and conquer riverrun? Oh boy the brotherhood will run out of trees. Not to mention the old gods and weirwood trees on the isles of faces. Bran will be sending ravens, snarks, sheep and grizzilies at the ironmen, lol.....the ironmen are finished(Unless Victarion gives them a dragon of course.)

I think harrenhal is done storywise. Unless littlefinger goes there, there is no real reason to go there. Fighting seems like it will predominantly in the Reach/Stormlands and the North.

Brotherhood will make a move of riverrun too.

Dany says she saw herself standing at the Trident so maybe Harrenhal will be a last stand like the post above me suggested

Harrenhal is cursed.

Any Lord who they grant it to will probably die or his house fall. Its cursed.

*Giggle*

"This place...IS CURSED."

Totally agree. But every person to hold it came to a bad end probably because it's in a central location and therefore subject to constant attacks and bombardments and since there's never enough men to man the walls (because it's so bloody big) it inevitably falls each time.

Either way, Harrenhall is bad news.

i know the north is the largest but aegon has the golden company and possibly a coming allegiance between him and dorne and its been said grrm read a chapter were he had captured storms end, so aegons army could be huge and we just dont know yet, not to mention dany could be coming to westeros with the entire dothrokia army at any time, the main reason they didnt respect her was because she was foriegn and kept talking about dragons that they knew to be gone, now shes the most powerful person in the east they could join her...harrenhal being the massive centraly located kingdom it is could easily hold one or both of there armys while they conquer

True it could be a base of operations, Tywin had a similar plan when he was think of relocating there. Central is easier to control the Kingdom. But wasn't it realy a large folly by Harren of the Iron islands when he got carried away with being king of the riverlands as well. The riverlands owe their alliegence to riverrun and the Tullys. I dont see it becoming a kingdom in its own right again as whoever held it with an army to fill it would be a huge threat to kings landing so close whoever is on the throne wouldn't allow it.

Archived