World, Flat or Round

CardMaster24

Well from a few things that i have read on this forum I think that this world could either be flat or round and about twice the size of earth

If the world is flat then the sun and the sky and everything up there would be just an allusion and the land is just endless

Though if the world is round my theory is that it is a lot bigger than what we think and functions like our world. I think the equator could be about where Sothoros is and from there it goes downwards, meaning we have only seen half of the world. In my eyes they are the only two logical ways it can work and that also means that there could be a lot more land and a lot more stories

So what is your opinion on all this

The world is round. And it is slightly larger than Earth. This has been confirmed by Martin himself.

Based on the climate, the Equator would be roughly where Sothoryos is, with 60 degrees latitude running roughly through the Wall, and the Neck lying roughly at 45 degrees latitude.

The distance from the Neck to the equator would therefore be 3 times the distance from the Neck to the Wall. Meaning about 3600 miles.

Since the south coast of Dorne lies about 1500 miles south of the Neck, it means that the equator lies about 2000 miles south of Dorne.

Se we have:

60 degrees latitude - the Wall

45 degrees latitude - the Neck

25 degrees latitude - the coast of Dorne

0 degrees latitude - the equator, Sothoryos

The title sequence from the show gives the impression that it's an interior world, with some mechanical, heat producing object at the centre. While that could explain the erratic seasons (the object is old, and needs maintainance), I would prefer to believe that the world is a normal planet orbiting a variable star, and the titles are simply for effect.

Has to be round so Dany can go east to go west

Yeah, I always thought that "go east to go west" meant that Dany had to circumnavigate to the east to get back to Westeros.

I also though that she would have a whole world tour of badassery and picking up more emancipated slaves and soldiers and mystics, and wind up arriving on the western coast of Westeros as a supreme conqueror. Of course, we've already gotten that character in the form of Euron the Globe-Hopping Pirate King.

As noted, GRRM did confirm it's round.

Dusty,

The title sequence from the show gives the impression that it's an interior world, with some mechanical, heat producing object at the centre.

The title sequence was done with the visuals in mind more than anything. The main reason they went with an "interior world" was so that they didn't have to figure out what to render beyond the edges of the map (the original idea was to present an actual map of Westeros, but once you get to the edges, what's there? Empty black space? A table and chamber?)

As noted, GRRM did confirm it's round.

Dusty,

The title sequence was done with the visuals in mind more than anything. The main reason they went with an "interior world" was so that they didn't have to figure out what to render beyond the edges of the map (the original idea was to present an actual map of Westeros, but once you get to the edges, what's there? Empty black space? A table and chamber?)

Ran, do we know whether the southern hemisphere of the globe experiences the opposite season of the Northern Hemisphere?

• 2 weeks later...

Do Westeros and Essos constitute/show the whole 360° circumference of the globe or is there a chance of another major land mass to the west of Westeros or to the east Essos?

We know that Brandon the Builder never returned from his expedition west ... did he perish? Discover a new continent? Or go all the way round and land in Asshai?

Do Westeros and Essos constitute/show the whole 360° circumference of the globe or is there a chance of another major land mass to the west of Westeros or to the east Essos?

We know that Brandon the Builder never returned from his expedition west ... did he perish? Discover a new continent? Or go all the way round and land in Asshai?

Martin said that he didn't reach Ashai. Whether that means that he perished in the Sunset Sea, or discovered another continent, we don't know.

That was Brandon the Shipwright, not Brandon the Builder. Brandon is a rather popular name among the Starks...

From what I can tell there are 6 known Brandon Starks.

Brandon the Builder (the first known Stark)

Brandon the Shipwright (the one who sailed into the Sunset Sea)

Brandon the Burner (son of Brandon the Shipwright, named because he burned the entire northern fleet after his father's disappearance)

Brandon the Bad (not much is known about him, but probably not the best King-in-the-North)

Brandon (Ned's older brother, death was a contributing factor to Robert's Rebellion)

Brandon "Bran" (PoV character)

The Night's King is a possible 7th, but there's no way to confirm his name really was Brandon Stark or if Old Nan was just embellishing for Bran's benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

George has noted that if there are, the people of Westeos don't know about them -- they're in the same boat as early medieval Europeans, where basically you know things go east as far the mysterious, fabled Asia... somewhere, and who knows what lies beyond.

George has noted that if there are, the people of Westeos don't know about them -- they're in the same boat as early medieval Europeans, where basically you know things go east as far the mysterious, fabled Asia... somewhere, and who knows what lies beyond.

I just read on another board that there was a glimpse of a world map on the Blu Ray which apparently showed some more continents beyond the three we've seen. Is that true?

Archived