A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Some small questions:

Who is the "bastard" that Varys mentions to Illyrio in the conversation Arya overhears in the dragonskull room ?

"Yet Lord Stark's the one who troubles my sleep. He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he'll have the truth"

Some supporting evidence to R+L=J, or simply a mention of Gendry ?

Gendry.

How can the mountain clans remain independent from any lord? Where did they come from ?

They've probably always been independent to some degree. They might even be First Men instead of Andals. It seems like banditry is their primary source of sustenance and the Mountains of the Moon don't sound very fertile, so aside from the nuisance they create the Arryns would have very little reason to conquer them. The Vale is pretty lush, and the clansmen don't have anything worth taxing.

1) Why did Arya go down with Ned and Sansa to King's Landing? What was the point? I'm sure she didn't want to actually leave Winterfell.

To learn the ways of court in order to be a better marriage prospect. Your other two questions have been answered many times on these forums, especially in these threads.

1) Why did Arya go down with Ned and Sansa to King's Landing? What was the point? I'm sure she didn't want to actually leave Winterfell.

2) Who hired the assassin with the dagger to kill Bran?

3) Who poisoned John Arryn?

1) because Cat and Ned hoped it would help her become a proper lady, of course Ned later realized that probably isn't going to happen, so he finds Syrio Forel, to teach Arya how to sword fight. Also Ned wanted to cheer Arya up, after the whole Trident situation with Micah.

2) Joffrey

3) Lysa Tully, though I don't think she did it directly, I think she payed Jon Arryn's squire to do it. Everyone assumed Cersei had payed the squire to do it,(because all of the suden that squire has all new armor and stuff, right after Jon's Arryn's death), and they thought that's why Gregor Killed Jon Arryn's old squire in the Tourny of the Hand (The Mountain put a lance through the squires neck, and Sandor said that Gregors lance goes where Gregor means for it to go... So the Hound believed it to be on purpose.)

After quite some time I'm reading AGOT again. For some reason it just hit me that someone paid a good deal of gold for Gendrys apprenticeship with Master Mott. I don't remember it being revealed who did so but I'm assuming it was Varys, in one of his mummers get ups, by Roberts instruction?

I'm also assuming he instructed Mott to send him to The Wall. Although to what end I could never figure out.

Any thoughts on the funding of Gendrys apprenticeship?

Any thoughts on the funding of Gendrys apprenticeship?

Robert didn't acknowledge Gendry, but he ordered Varys to take care of his education. Ned tells Varys to take care that Gendry is safe, when he hears that the baby in the brothel in Kings Landing and her mother (the girl with freckles) were killed by Allard Deem, on Cersei's orders. Apparently Varys, on Ned 's orders, arranged that Yoren took Gendry with him.

Robert didn't acknowledge Gendry, but he ordered Varys to take care of his education. Ned tells Varys to take care that Gendry is safe, when he hears that the baby in the brothel in Kings Landing and her mother (the girl with freckles) were killed by Allard Deem, on Cersei's orders. Apparently Varys, on Ned 's orders, arranged that Yoren took Gendry with him.

Ned was imprisoned by the time Varys saved Gendry. His education and his saving was purely Varys's doing.

2) Who hired the assassin with the dagger to kill Bran?

3) Who poisoned John Arryn?

Answer to question 3 littlefinger . Lysander says before he throws her out of the moon door . He s a sticky fellow ol petyer

Why didn't Berena Hornwood (Leobald Tallhart's widow and Lord Hornwood's sister) have a claim to Hornwood when Lord Hornwood died? There's a huge fuss about no direct heirs, possibly raising Lord Hornwood's bastard to the title, giving Lady Hornwood's new husband the title, etc. But the late Lord Hornwood has a living sister who herself has two apparently healthy young sons. They're never mentioned in the succession talk, even though Berena should theoretically be next in line to inherit and/or would have the ability to name one of her sons to the title.

Ned was imprisoned or possibly short a head by the time Allar Deem killed Barra and her mother. Whatever happened with Gendry, Varys did it on his own.

Why didn't Berena Hornwood (Leobald Tallhart's widow and Lord Hornwood's sister) have a claim to Hornwood when Lord Hornwood died? There's a huge fuss about no direct heirs, possibly raising Lord Hornwood's bastard to the title, giving Lady Hornwood's new husband the title, etc. But the late Lord Hornwood has a living sister who herself has two apparently healthy young sons. They're never mentioned in the succession talk, even though Berena should theoretically be next in line to inherit and/or would have the ability to name one of her sons to the title.

Ned was imprisoned or possibly short a head by the time Allar Deem killed Barra and her mother. Whatever happened with Gendry, Varys did it on his own.

Yes but Ned told Varys to keep him safe, so after Deem killed Barra, Varys sends Gendry to the Wall. Yes it was Varys who did it, but Ned told him before to keep Gendry safe.

Oops ... I definitely recall reading this not too long ago, on a reread. The information is scattered about in the books, in AGOT and in ACOK, when Tyrion became Hand and tried to practise justice. I don't have the books at hand but will check and come back later with a quote - or a redemption :read:

ETA Okay AGOT I have at hand. In Eddard VI Ned asks Mott who payed for Gendry's education. Mott tells him it was a lord. The description could or could not fit Varys. Later on in ACOk we learn that Varys took care to provide for gifts for Edric Storms birthdays and that he took care of other baseborn children of Robert. There are bits in Cersei's and Tyrion's chapters in later books. I'll come back with these later.

Why do people who worhship the Seven Faced God talk like there are actually seven different deities? "Thank the gods." is common for example.

I think one of the septons (possibly the Elder Brother or Septon Meribald?) explains it at one point. Something about the smallfolk being too stupid to grasp the idea of the many faces of God, so they simplify it by saying that it's seven different gods :)

Archived