A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Why didn't Berena Hornwood (Leobald Tallhart's widow and Lord Hornwood's sister) have a claim to Hornwood when Lord Hornwood died? There's a huge fuss about no direct heirs, possibly raising Lord Hornwood's bastard to the title, giving Lady Hornwood's new husband the title, etc. But the late Lord Hornwood has a living sister who herself has two apparently healthy young sons. They're never mentioned in the succession talk, even though Berena should theoretically be next in line to inherit and/or would have the ability to name one of her sons to the title.

They were mentioned in fact, if only in passing : "The Tallharts, Flints and Karstarks all have ties to House Hornwood through the female line". The wiki also mentions that Leobald Tallhart suggested his younger son as Lady Hornwood's heir but I can't find a direct quote.

Is leaving the Night's Watch being punishable by death a relatively new thing on The Wall. I ask this because a long time ago it was considered honorable to serve the NW, but now since most of them are criminals leaving the wall is kinda like breaking out of jail.

Leaving the Wall is not punishable by death, deserting the Nights Watch however is. Deserting would be leaving without permission from your Lord Commander, with no intentions of returning.

Why can't I upload a picture? I open my profile click the "Change" on the top right, choose the "Use a custom photo" option, open it, but it then fails. Can anyone help?

maybe its size is too big???

In addition to the questions who payed for Gendry's apprentice fee and who saved Gendry:

ETA Okay AGOT I have at hand. In Eddard VI Ned asks Mott who payed for Gendry's education. Mott tells him it was a lord. The description could or could not fit Varys. Later on in ACOk we learn that Varys took care to provide for gifts for Edric Storms birthdays and that he took care of other baseborn children of Robert. There are bits in Cersei's and Tyrion's chapters in later books. I'll come back with these later.

AGOT Eddard XIII Robert on his deathbed asks Ned to take care of his children. Ned is in a conflict here, but he remembers "Gendry at his forge". And he "slowly" says: "I shall ... guard your children as if they were my own." (By the way, I always suspected Ned is repeating or refrasing a promise here he may have made at another deathbed, hence the 'slowly' and the hestitation dots in the text)

ACOK Tyrion II Varys tells Tyrion that he couldn't save the baseborn girl "with a whore for a mother", but that there was a boy, older "I took steps to see him removed from harm's way."

Well , there is never a scene where Ned orders Varys to save Gendry, but considering his promise at Roberts deathbed and Varys taking action, I took it that Ned ordered Varys to take care of Gendry and of little Barra. Varys says he couldn't imagine that Barra would be killed. That I always doubted, by the way. So why Gendry was saved and not the little girl ...

So why Gendry was saved and not the little girl ...

So do you have something in mind or it's just a simple question? because as I read your post the first thing that came to my mind was that's something to do with the children's mothers (?) due to Vary's "with a whore for a mother"

My initial thought however is that it is indeed easier to save a grown up kid than a baby where you have to deal with its mother as well. I would think about Robert's succession also but I think that would be naive since the children apart from bastards and a whole army... one less wouldn't change anything (which is a terrible thing to say when it comes to living creatures but you know what I mean :)).

Why can't I upload a picture? I open my profile click the "Change" on the top right, choose the "Use a custom photo" option, open it, but it then fails. Can anyone help?

Yeah these forums are retarded when it comes to changing your profile pic. Check in the "Help" forum and there should be a stickied thread that explains exactly how to do it.

What is the meaning of "A Song" in the title of the serie? Is it war, story ...? thanks

I think it is still up for debate. It could mean a conflict, as in a conflict between ice and fire. Or it might mean harmony or balance, as in a balance of ice and fire (ie neither is "good" or "bad" and both are necessary).

A song is usually a story, a way of remembering in the oral tradition.

A dance might be a conflict, a song less likely to be so.

True, but I recall that in the novels sword fighting is sometimes described as a 'song'. In the tradition of the art of singing songs can be expressions of conflicts of the soul.

"So why Gendry was saved and not the little girl ..."

This is what still puzzles me about Gendry. Eldric knew Robert was his dad and was led to believe Robert sent him gifts for his birthday. Robert even spent time with Mya Stone in her early years before Cersei threatened her. Everything done for Gendry was done in secret. Even when Ned realizes he's Roberts kid Ned didn't tell him. Brienne is set to tell him in A Feast for Crows and is interrupted by The Hound Helm.

My gut tells me there is a reason Gendry is under wraps but I can't figure out the end game. Maybe there is none and it was just a plot device. I'm hoping it turns out to be something really cool but I doubt it.

Archived