A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

"So why Gendry was saved and not the little girl ..."

This is what still puzzles me about Gendry. Eldric knew Robert was his dad and was led to believe Robert sent him gifts for his birthday. Robert even spent time with Mya Stone in her early years before Cersei threatened her. Everything done for Gendry was done in secret. Even when Ned realizes he's Roberts kid Ned didn't tell him. Brienne is set to tell him in A Feast for Crows and is interrupted by The Hound Helm.

My gut tells me there is a reason Gendry is under wraps but I can't figure out the end game. Maybe there is none and it was just a plot device. I'm hoping it turns out to be something really cool but I doubt it.

I think that maybe he will become a hero on the war against the Others... But as he has almost none martial training is more likely that he becomes a martyr.

At first I thought that Gendry and Arya would marry one the end, end join the bloodlines of Robert and Ned, as it was theirs wish, but as the story with Arya go I don't think that this will happen anymore.

Who is the man that Bran/Meera/Jojen/Hodor/Summer take shelter with in aSoS? He has a golden pinecone broach to clasp his cloak. I've read all the books and am currently re-reading them. I can't remember if he comes up again or not? I wonder if he will play a role later on in the book being that he recognized Bran as a Stark and kept his tongue about it.

Who is the man that Bran/Meera/Jojen/Hodor/Summer take shelter with in aSoS? He has a golden pinecone broach to clasp his cloak. I've read all the books and am currently re-reading them. I can't remember if he comes up again or not? I wonder if he will play a role later on in the book being that he recognized Bran as a Stark and kept his tongue about it.

He is a Liddle but that is all we find out. He doesn't pop up again, unless he's joined Stannis, but we never found out his name nor much about him (except that he was kind to Bran and probably knew who he was) so even if he is with Stannis, we wouldn't know. I think he understood that it would be too dangerous to spread the word about Bran and so has kept quiet about it. Bran wanted to reward the Liddle clan when/if he returned to Winterfell, to repay the man for his kindness.

I'm not sure if we'll see him again, but, if Manderly goes to Stannis to tell him that he didn't kill Davos and that the Stark boys are still alive, it would be very handy for a Liddle to confirm that Bran survived the Sack of Winterfell.

At the end of AFFC, when Brienne runs into Stoneheart, LS is holding Robb's crown (or what I think is Robb's crown). But only a few chapters before a Frey was using the same crown for his 'Queen of Whores'. It is the same crown, right? Did Tom o'Sevens smuggle it away from the Freys to give to the Brotherhood?

At the end of AFFC, when Brienne runs into Stoneheart, LS is holding Robb's crown (or what I think is Robb's crown). But only a few chapters before a Frey was using the same crown for his 'Queen of Whores'. It is the same crown, right? Did Tom o'Sevens smuggle it away from the Freys to give to the Brotherhood?

Tom O'Sevens accompanied Jaime to Riverrun to gain a position (read: spy) next to Emmon Frey. During that time he was with Ryman Frey (heir to the twins) when he was drinking/whoring and let the prostitute wear the crown. Because of Tom O'Sevens the Brotherhood knew where he was going when Jaime dismissed Ryman, subsequently resulting in his hanging/the return of Robb's crown to the Brotherhood. Long story short, they got the crown back when they hung Ryman Frey

Tom O'Sevens accompanied Jaime to Riverrun to gain a position (read: spy) next to Emmon Frey. During that time he was with Ryman Frey (heir to the twins) when he was drinking/whoring and let the prostitute wear the crown. Because of Tom O'Sevens the Brotherhood knew where he was going when Jaime dismissed Ryman, subsequently resulting in his hanging/the return of Robb's crown to the Brotherhood. Long story short, they got the crown back when they hung Ryman Frey

Oh yeah, Ryman Frey. Forgot all about him. Thanks.

"So why Gendry was saved and not the little girl ..."

This is what still puzzles me about Gendry. Eldric knew Robert was his dad and was led to believe Robert sent him gifts for his birthday. Robert even spent time with Mya Stone in her early years before Cersei threatened her. Everything done for Gendry was done in secret. Even when Ned realizes he's Roberts kid Ned didn't tell him. Brienne is set to tell him in A Feast for Crows and is interrupted by The Hound Helm.

My gut tells me there is a reason Gendry is under wraps but I can't figure out the end game. Maybe there is none and it was just a plot device. I'm hoping it turns out to be something really cool but I doubt it.

Edric is a noble bastard. Gendry is baseborn.

Mya Stone is beyond Cersei's reach up in the Eyrie, and a woman to boot, so less threat to Cersei. Gendry is secret because Cersei would murder him if she could (and indeed tries to after Robert dies and she presumably find out - remember when Arya thought the gold cloaks had come for her...)

Why is Doran Martell the 'Prince of Dorne'? I get that he couldn't be 'King of Dorne' as Dorne is part of the seven kingdoms, but why have they kept the title 'Prince'?

Was there previously a King of Dorne, who bent the knee to Targaryens like Torrhen Stark did? If so, why didn't the Starks get to call themselves 'Prince of the North'?

Why is Doran Martell the 'Prince of Dorne'? I get that he couldn't be 'King of Dorne' as Dorne is part of the seven kingdoms, but why have they kept the title 'Prince'?

Was there previously a King of Dorne, who bent the knee to Targaryens like Torrhen Stark did? If so, why didn't the Starks get to call themselves 'Prince of the North'?

The title 'Prince' comes from their Rhoynish heritage. Prior to the invasion of Queen Nymeria, the Dornish leader was styled as Lord, but once Nymeria conquored the region and married Lord Martell, the Martells styled themselves as 'Prince'.

Dorne did not bend the knee to the Targaryens. Dorne became a part of the Seven Kingdoms via a duel marriage pact with a Dornish princesses marrying the Targ king and a Targ princesses (Daenerys) marrying the Dornish prince.

The title 'Prince' comes from their Rhoynish heritage. Prior to the invasion of Queen Nymeria, the Dornish leader was styled as Lord, but once Nymeria conquored the region and married Lord Martell, the Martells styled themselves as 'Prince'.

Dorne did not bend the knee to the Targaryens. Dorne became a part of the Seven Kingdoms via a duel marriage pact with a Dornish princesses marrying the Targ king and a Targ princesses (Daenerys) marrying the Dornish prince.

Thanks! :)

I took it there were two crowns: one for Robb, one for his queen. Jeyne tells Jaime she has lost her crown and wants it back. I read it as the woman in the Frey tent wore the queens crown. I can be wrong though, gonna reread that bit.

I think that maybe he will become a hero on the war against the Others... But as he has almost none martial training is more likely that he becomes a martyr.

At first I thought that Gendry and Arya would marry one the end, end join the bloodlines of Robert and Ned, as it was theirs wish, but as the story with Arya go I don't think that this will happen anymore.

Narratively I assume he'll forge/reforge something of great use.... A weapon? Dragonsteel? Lightbringer?

"And later these two brothers came before him, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, and pledged their swords to the service of the king. Father accepted their oaths..."

This is Sansas chapter just before Neds tells her are being sent back to the north. Is this just random filler or is there something i have missed?

Lady Mormount is still unaccounted for at the end of ADWD right? And the last we saw of her was Robb's will signing? I know her daughter died with Robb and another is with Stannis but just wanted to double check that we haven't seen her or Glover since?

Yep, both her and Galbart Glover are still missing. I'd be pretty shocked if we don't find out what happened with them in TWOW.

Lady Mormount is still unaccounted for at the end of ADWD right? And the last we saw of her was Robb's will signing? I know her daughter died with Robb and another is with Stannis but just wanted to double check that we haven't seen her or Glover since?

Presumably they are with Howland Reed at the moment, so in theory they might appear with Robbs will and Howland himself to tell the story of what happen in the Tower of Joy.

More specifically, there is a lot of flashback info on the first Blackfyre rebellion in "The Sworn Sword", the second Dunk and Egg tale. The third tale, "The Mystery Knight", also has some info about the rebellions.

Some quick references about the last rebels are made in "A Storm of Swords" when the White Book is read on Ser Barristan's entries.

Archived