A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Where is and what is Esso consist of? I looked on the map but cannot find it.

Essos is the continent where Dany's story is currently happening.

On this partly speculative map you can see Westeros in the left, Essos in the right and the continent in the south is Sothoryos. It's an older one and we have some newer maps to define the outlines of the continents better, but you can see the overall locations.

The free cities, Slaver's bay, Valyria, Asshai and more are all located on Essos. Hope this helps. :)

Yeah, very speculative :D

Braavos' location is completely false.

This one is more accurate, considering the new material from ADWD :

http://imageshack.us...erosessos8.png/ (Yes, it's in French... don't know if the author plans to do an English version)

Lol, I am a moron -- I can't find Braavos on the map linked above.

ETA: My bad! I was zoomed in to try to find it, and it was waaay up high, out of my screen shot :) Thanks for linking this map!

ETA: My bad! I was zoomed in to try to find it, and it was waaay up high, out of my screen shot :) Thanks for linking this map!

Well, the location of Braavos in this map is based on the map of the Free Cities from ADWD.

You don't look at the maps when you read ? :D

Yeah, very speculative :D

Braavos' location is completely false.

This one is more accurate, considering the new material from ADWD :

http://imageshack.us...erosessos8.png/ (Yes, it's in French... don't know if the author plans to do an English version)

Oh, thank you, I hadn't seen that one! But the other one was enough to give a certain sense to where the continents were placed in relation to each other, so I thought it would be ok.

(and WHY THE HELL DID MY AVATAR CHANGE AGAIN WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING? *mutters incoherent curses*)

You don't look at the maps when you read ? :D

Speaking for myself, I only read with eReaders and it's impossible to make out the maps and not easy to flip back to them for reference while reading (unlike physical books). I probably should have printed out some maps and kept them with my Kindle to reference while reading, but I never bothered. I do plan on doing that before re-reading them.

Here's yet another map:

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/212253/World_Map_of_Ice_and_Fire_by_Other_in_Law.jpg

Speaking for myself, I only read with eReaders and it's impossible to make out the maps and not easy to flip back to them for reference while reading (unlike physical books). I probably should have printed out some maps and kept them with my Kindle to reference while reading, but I never bothered. I do plan on doing that before re-reading them.

Here's yet another map:

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/212253/World_Map_of_Ice_and_Fire_by_Other_in_Law.jpg

That map has some funny images. I specifically really like the White Walker image in the far North of the Wall.

Was there any speculation about a man Arya found dead at the House of Black and White when she was a blind girl? He was young, presumably good looking and had money used in Westeros.

She knelt and felt his face. Curly hair, and thick. A handsome face, unlined. He was young.

On the handsome man she found four golden dragons out of Westeros. She was running the ball of her thumb across the most worn of them, trying to decide which king it showed, when she heard the door opening softly behind her.

Or was he deemed insignificant? Thank you.

"He is a Liddle but that is all we find out. He doesn't pop up again, unless he's joined Stannis, but we never found out his name nor much about him (except that he was kind to Bran and probably knew who he was) so even if he is with Stannis, we wouldn't know. I think he understood that it would be too dangerous to spread the word about Bran and so has kept quiet about it. Bran wanted to reward the Liddle clan when/if he returned to Winterfell, to repay the man for his kindness.

I'm not sure if we'll see him again,"

(dont think you will, wasn't he the guy who was killed by the wildlings south of the wall, when jon escaped?)

Was there any speculation about a man Arya found dead at the House of Black and White when she was a blind girl? He was young, presumably good looking and had money used in Westeros.

She knelt and felt his face. Curly hair, and thick. A handsome face, unlined. He was young.

On the handsome man she found four golden dragons out of Westeros. She was running the ball of her thumb across the most worn of them, trying to decide which king it showed, when she heard the door opening softly behind her.

Or was he deemed insignificant? Thank you.

Thick curly hair sounds like a Baratheon. Could be Edric Storm.

Thick curly hair sounds like a Baratheon. Could be Edric Storm.

Edric Storm is not a 'man', being around 12-13 if not younger IIRC.

I very much doubt whether it is anyone known, probably not even an actual westerosi. There is trade between the continents, and Bravos is one o fthe trading ports.

Dunk & Egg books.

HEAD->DESK. And I thought these books were just the world-building fluff for the enthusiasts. Thank you!

More specifically, there is a lot of flashback info on the first Blackfyre rebellion in "The Sworn Sword", the second Dunk and Egg tale. The third tale, "The Mystery Knight", also has some info about the rebellions.

Some quick references about the last rebels are made in "A Storm of Swords" when the White Book is read on Ser Barristan's entries.

Thank you very much! It's good to know that I haven't lost an entire Targaryen family branch in the re-read. I'm going to add these to my towering e-pile :)

After Renly's death, which houses went over to Stannis? I know all the Florents did but did all of the Stormlanders aswell?

Here's what the book says:

He squeezed it uselessly in his hand and asked, “What of Renly’s host?”

“The greater part of his foot remains at Bitterbridge.” Varys abandoned the brazier to take his seat at the table. “Most of the lords who rode with Lord Renly to Storm’s End have gone over banner-and-blade to Stannis, with all their chivalry.”

“Led by the Florents, I’d wager,” said Littlefinger.

Varys gave him a simpering smile. “You would win, my lord. Lord Alester was indeed the first to bend the knee. Many others followed.”

“Many,” Tyrion said pointedly, “but not all?”

“Not all,” agreed the eunuch. “Not Loras Tyrell, nor Randyll Tarly, nor Mathis Rowan. And Storm’s End itself has not yielded. Ser Cortnay Penrose holds the castle in Renly’s name, and will not believe his liege is dead. He demands to see the mortal remains before he opens his gates, but it seems that Renly’s corpse has unaccountably vanished. Carried away, most likely. A fifth of Renly’s knights departed with Ser Loras rather than bend the knee to Stannis.

ACoK, Chapter 36, Tyrion

However, when "Renly's Ghost" appeared at the Blackwater, leading the van of Lord Tywin's army, many of the lords who were fighting for Stannis switched allegiance mid-battle.

The Appendix of ASoS lists the following bannermen under Stannis:

-MONTERYS VELARYON, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark, a boy of six,

-DURAM. BAR EMMON, Lord of Sharp Point, a boy of fifteen years,

-SER GILBERT FARRING, castellan of Storm’s End,

- LORD ELWOOD MEADOWS, Ser Gilbert’s second,

- MAESTER JURNE, Ser Gilbert’s counselor and healer,

-LORD LUCOS CHYTTERING, called LITTLE LUCOS, a youth of sixteen,

-LESTER MORRIGEN, Lord of Crows Nest

And the following knights and sworn swords:

-SER LOMAS ESTERMONT, the king’s maternal uncle,

- his son, SER ANDREW ESTERMONT,

-SER ROLLAND STORM, called THE BASTARD OF NIGHTSONG, a baseborn son of the late Lord Bryen Caron,

-SER PARMEN CRANE, called PARMEN THE PURPLE, held captive at Highgarden,

-SER ERREN FLORENT, younger brother to Queen Selyse, held captive at Highgarden,

-SER GERALD GOWER,

-SER TRISTON OF TALLY HILL, formerly in service to Lord Guncer Sunglass,

-LEVVYS, called THE FISHWIFE, OMER BLACKBERRY.

I keep thinking back to the dragon horn. We know that Euron's gifts are "poison" and if Euron really believed the horn would allow the "owner" of it to control dragons, why did he send Victorian to do the job? Why didn't Euron just claim the dragons before going home? With even one dragon it wouldn't matter if he claimed the seaguard throne because he could conquer all of Westeros.

Is Euron just trying to get rid of Victorian knowing that (say) only a Targaryen could use the horn to control a dragon? Even if so, why does Euron want Victorian dead and why would he risk delivering a dragon control device to Daenerys? If it doesn't work, he's sending the horn directly to Daenerys and if it does work he's giving Victorian (not him) the power to conquer all of Westeros (so what gives?).

The Red Priest (Moqorro) with Victorian doesn't make any sense either. He was on his way to Daenerys because he was with the group that believed Daenerys is the Azor Ahai. He acts like he's helping Victorian though. I can only assume he's just playing along (biding his time) to get the horn to Daenerys.

So, Moqorro says the blower of the horn will die (would burned lungs kill Daenerys?) but any dragons that hear it will obey the master of the horn and to be master of the horn, it must be claimed with blood. Maybe Moqorro just sees in the "flames" that the horn will be claimed from Victorian and he is just biding his time acting like he's helping Victorian while in reality he's setting him up?

Also, Victorian is a very minor POV characters. He's only had 4 total chapters. It's hard to imagine such a minor character gaining control of even one dragon.

Also, Victorian is a very minor POV characters. He's only had 4 total chapters. It's hard to imagine such a minor character gaining control of even one dragon.

Didn't Victarion's final chapter in ADwD change to his actual name as opposed to a title? I don't think he is minor anymore.

Archived