A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

But she (at least suggested) wanted to burn Mance's son, so she believes to some extent in the power of his blood.

I feel she didn't burn Mance because she saw his purpose at Winterfell in her flames.

not even Mel can be sure of what she sees in the flames.... my guess is that she wants him alive because she thinks that way would be easier to control the wildlings.

I was wondering... let's suppose the theory that Brandon Stark had a child with Ashara Dayne (or anyone else, for that matter) is true. Would s/he be the rightful heir to Winterfell?

Edit: forget what I just asked; the moment I read the question posted I remembered the child would be a bastard ¬¬'

I was wondering... let's suppose the theory that Brandon Stark had a child with Ashara Dayne (or anyone else, for that matter) is true. Would s/he be the rightful heir to Winterfell?

Edit: forget what I just asked; the moment I read the question posted I remembered the child would be a bastard ¬¬'

Theoretically speaking, it is possible that a bastard of Brandon's might come forward and possibly people might support him if they felt it was in their best interests to do so. Especially as House Stark is currently in such disarray, it is possible that either a real or fake bastard of Brandon could make an appearance (not that I actually think that this would happen, there is already so much going on in the story). That is why bastards are so dangerous. Lords really need to keep it in their pants, just as much as the ladies do. It seems a lot of people knew that Brandon slept around, so if a bastard turned up claiming to be his, people would know it was a possiblity.

Here's a question that has always bothered me about the series: The Freys have significance in the novels because they control the Twins, which is supposedly the only way to cross the Trident. However, in every single map I've ever seen of Westeros, the Kingsroad passes well to the east of the Twins, and doesn't cross the Trident until Lord Harroway's Town.

Am I missing something here? If the map is correct, the Twins are basically strategically worthless and Rob's army should have been able to march right by with impunity. It's Lord Harroway's Town, at the intersection of the three branches of the Trident along the Kingsroad that should be one of the most important towns in the realm.

Here's a question that has always bothered me about the series: The Freys have significance in the novels because they control the Twins, which is supposedly the only way to cross the Trident. However, in every single map I've ever seen of Westeros, the Kingsroad passes well to the east of the Twins, and doesn't cross the Trident until Lord Harroway's Town.

Am I missing something here? If the map is correct, the Twins are basically strategically worthless and Rob's army should have been able to march right by with impunity. It's Lord Harroway's Town, at the intersection of the three branches of the Trident along the Kingsroad that should be one of the most important towns in the realm.

Lord Harroway's Town controls the connections between the North and the Stormlands and South. But is you want to go North to West, or to the bulk of the Riverlands (and vice versa), the Twins is much faster. If you go through Lord Harroway's Town to any part of the Riverlands or West, youbasically have to march the entire length of the Riverlands first, then go to wherever you want from the southeast corner.

Basically you can make a triangle out of the Twins, Lord Harroway's Town and Riverrun. If you cross at the Twins (coming to or from the north), you only have to travel one side of the triangle. If you cross at LHT you have to travel two sides of the triangle.

Which means that basically all Westlands to Northlands and most Riverlands to Northlands traffic, and especially the Northern armies basing around Riverrun, flow naturally through the Twins.

Get your dividers out. From The Neck to Riverrun is almost twice as far via Lord Harroways town as it is via the Twins, and militarily also is very exposed to forces from the South and Stormlands (controlled by Tywin).

Sorry if this is stupid to aask but..Elia was probably dark of hair and dark of eyes, wouldn't her children (Aegon, Rheanas or whatever her name was) have inherited that trait? Which I'm assuming is dominant over silver hair and purple eyes.

One did (Rhaenys), one didn't (Aegon).

Don't be fooled by the various comments people make about genetic dominance. The only truly dominant genes seem to be Baratheons which always, without exception, give black curly hair and blue eyes.

Otherwise GRRMs westerosi children seem to usually take after one or other parent or close relative, but there are no specifically dominant or submissive genetic families. Much like real life. GRRMs genetics fit to his story plan, which means they are simple enough, but not too simple except in specific required cases.

Don't be fooled by the various comments people make about genetic dominance. The only truly dominant genes seem to be Baratheons which always, without exception, give black curly hair and blue eyes.

Otherwise GRRMs westerosi children seem to usually take after one or other parent or close relative, but there are no specifically dominant or submissive genetic families. Much like real life. GRRMs genetics fit to his story plan, which means they are simple enough, but not too simple except in specific required cases.

Not only that, but the Martells also descend from the Targaryens, so it's legitimate one of their kids has Targ-looks.

I have a small question :

What happens to the Ned's bones ? Cat send the silent sisters to Winterfell, but did they reach it ? Did they pass the twins and Moat Cailin. I confess I'm a little lost with the timing and I'm not sure if it was before or after the Iron fleet goes North.

Lord Harroway's Town controls the connections between the North and the Stormlands and South. But is you want to go North to West, or to the bulk of the Riverlands (and vice versa), the Twins is much faster. If you go through Lord Harroway's Town to any part of the Riverlands or West, youbasically have to march the entire length of the Riverlands first, then go to wherever you want from the southeast corner.

Basically you can make a triangle out of the Twins, Lord Harroway's Town and Riverrun. If you cross at the Twins (coming to or from the north), you only have to travel one side of the triangle. If you cross at LHT you have to travel two sides of the triangle.

Which means that basically all Westlands to Northlands and most Riverlands to Northlands traffic, and especially the Northern armies basing around Riverrun, flow naturally through the Twins.

Get your dividers out. From The Neck to Riverrun is almost twice as far via Lord Harroways town as it is via the Twins, and militarily also is very exposed to forces from the South and Stormlands (controlled by Tywin).

Ok, this makes a lot of sense, thanks. I think the only thing stopping me from making that connection before is that I assumed travelling on the Kingsroad, especially with a large army, would be much faster than travelling over the western Riverlands, which does not appear to have any major roads. Obviously not.

Kind of tangentially related -- I've always thought Lord Harroway's Town should be one of the largest cities in Westeros. It lies at the mouth of the largest river, it's on the correct side of the continent to have easy trade access to Essos, it stands at the intersection of several of the largest roadways in Westeros (Kingsroad, River Road, High Road), and is basically equidistant from the "capitals" of most of the seven kingdoms.

Is there ever a description of baby Aegon? I cant remember. Obviously we've had Young Griff described with the classic Targ look. But does it ever say anywhere prior to that that baby Aegon had silver hair/purple eyes? Couldnt he, along with his sister, have taken after the Martells?

Is there ever a description of baby Aegon? I cant remember. Obviously we've had Young Griff described with the classic Targ look. But does it ever say anywhere prior to that that baby Aegon had silver hair/purple eyes? Couldnt he, along with his sister, have taken after the Martells?

Aegon was supposed to have the Targ look, and Rhaenys looked like her mother.

Aegon was supposed to have the Targ look, and Rhaenys looked like her mother.

Yeah Ive always thought that way but I cant remember where it actually says it in the text. How old was Aegon when he was "killed?" In theory he could have still been a bald infant.

Yeah Ive always thought that way but I cant remember where it actually says it in the text. How old was Aegon when he was "killed?" In theory he could have still been a bald infant.

SSM

Do you have any idea what Rhaenys and Aegon looked like? (Hair color, eye color, etc.)

Rhaenys looked more like a Martell, Aegon more a Targaryen.

I believe he was roughly one year old. Either way, a lot of children are born with hair. :)

I have a small question :

What happens to the Ned's bones ? Cat send the silent sisters to Winterfell, but did they reach it ? Did they pass the twins and Moat Cailin. I confess I'm a little lost with the timing and I'm not sure if it was before or after the Iron fleet goes North.

Currently, their whereabouts are unknown. They were given to Hallis Mollen and his men to take back to Winterfell but the Ironmen had taken Moat Cailin by then. It is assumed they are at Greywater Watch.

Barbrey Dustin has been waiting for them to come out of the Neck so she can give them to her dogs.

Has it ever been explained why the stones of prison cells under the Dragonstone are so warm?

(It is remarked in ASoS by Davos while he is held prisoner there. I'm fascinated by the secrets of that place!)

because there's a volcanoe on the island of dragonstone

I believe he was roughly one year old. Either way, a lot of children are born with hair. :)

Yes I was born with a full head of dark hair :) Merely speculating. ETA..but my older brother was bald until he was 18 months!

Everytime I think I am on to something with a theory GRRM craps all over it in a SSM!! Wish he would just keep his mouth shut...;)

Archived