A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Where are we told that Brynden Rivers (Bloodraven) eventually became the LC of the NW?

I believe Maester Aemon tells Sam about Egg clearing the cells and sending Bloodraven to the Wall where he evetually rose to the posisition of LC while theyre traveling to Oldtown in AFFC.

So, I have a small question. When Jon hears Ygritte and Tormund sing "last of the giants" Ygritte cries. John asks her why, and she says, "you know nothing Jon Snow" and runs off angrily.

Why was she crying? Does it have something to do with her later comment about how they dug up all those stupid graves and didn't even find the Horn? Was it because the song is sad and beautiful? Is this even important?

My question is all about money:

how many coppers (pennies) = 1 silver stag?

conversely, how many silver stags = 1 golden dragon?

I don't think the books provide this information anywhere. The closest thing we have, I believe, is the currency system of the ASOIAF Roleplaying Game by Green Ronin, which is considered a semi-canon source. You can find it here.

Hold on, in AGoT the entire royal family travels to Winterfell. But they only have 3 members of the Kingsguard with them (Jaime Lannister, Boros Blount, Meryn Trant). Whats that about?

KG can be assigned to other duties, so long as at least one is always with the King.

KG can be assigned to other duties, so long as at least one is always with the King.

True but what is more important than King Robert travelling to Winterfell, one of the furthest castles from his throne, to name his new Hand. What other duties? There is no strife or conflict at the time nor any grand events. The Tourney of the Hand isn't confirmed & arranged until Ned takes his place on the council in the capital. I suppose Selmy was filling in his role as a Small Council member and couldn't get away but then again I thought the Lord Commander's seat was just honorary. Maybe he was picking up the extra work load left behind by Jon Arryn and Stannis?

I'm pretty sure Robert has extended their duties to include protecting the royal family aswell. Granted Joffrey has The Hound but it just seems a little strange that the King is travelling to a far away land and back again with less than half of his sworn swords.

True but what is more important than King Robert travelling to Winterfell, one of the furthest castles from his throne, to name his new Hand. What other duties? There is no strife or conflict at the time nor any grand events. The Tourney of the Hand isn't confirmed & arranged until Ned takes his place on the council in the capital. I suppose Selmy was filling in his role as a Small Council member and couldn't get away but then again I thought the Lord Commander's seat was just honorary. Maybe he was picking up the extra work load left behind by Jon Arryn and Stannis?

I'm pretty sure Robert has extended their duties to include protecting the royal family aswell. Granted Joffrey has The Hound but it just seems a little strange that the King is travelling to a far away land and back again with less than half of his sworn swords.

It DOES seem a little strange, but I like to think that Robert had a false sense of security due to his past battle prowess. Remember when he wanted to fight in the melee at the Tourney of the Hand? I doubt he felt like he ever needed all 7 KG at once.

Hye,

just want to know If Jon was legitimised ( or what ever) would he be after Rickon and before the girls in the line of succession or after the girls? Thanks

I think that "on paper" he'd be after the younger boys and the girls. BUT Martin has also said that politics plays a big role in determining where a legitimized bastard falls in the succession line. Namely, if the lords rally to an older legitimized bastard over a younger trueborn son, then the legitimized bastard would probably win. I suspect that, even though Jon would never actively seek to muscle out his siblings, his adulthood, leadership and combat experience would make him a more attractive candidate for northern leadership than Rickon, who is still a young child even though time has passed.

What does Dany mean by saying I am "the Blood of the Dragon" or "Have Blood of dragon?" I do understand when Arya says she has wolf blood. Thanks!

Because she's not right in the mind? :P

She goes from using it to give herself inner strength to saying it to justify her power to saying it and actually believing it.

I posted this in another thread, but it was slightly off-topic and didn't get a response.

I'm wondering if anyone knows or can speculate on how the Faceless Men go about determining the price a client should pay. Do they use their abilities to see through lies? Do they investigate a client before agreeing to do business with them?

If there's anything in the text that sheds light on this, I'd appreciate a citation. Thanks!

I posted this in another thread, but it was slightly off-topic and didn't get a response.

I'm wondering if anyone knows or can speculate on how the Faceless Men go about determining the price a client should pay. Do they use their abilities to see through lies? Do they investigate a client before agreeing to do business with them?

If there's anything in the text that sheds light on this, I'd appreciate a citation. Thanks!

I don't know the exact page as my books aren't on me, but it's suggested in Arya's Braavos chapters that the price varies but that:

1. It's steep. One man lost two-thirds of his wealth and his daughter.

2. It's not just financial; it has a personal aspect.

3. The more high-profile the target, the steeper the price.

When they suggested hiring a Faceless Man to kill Dany, Littlefinger rejected the idea because the cost would be ungodly.

I don't know the exact page as my books aren't on me, but it's suggested in Arya's Braavos chapters that the price varies but that:

1. It's steep. One man lost two-thirds of his wealth and his daughter.

2. It's not just financial; it has a personal aspect.

3. The more high-profile the target, the steeper the price.

When they suggested hiring a Faceless Man to kill Dany, Littlefinger rejected the idea because the cost would be ungodly.

Thanks, but what I mean is, how do they know a potential client's worth? How do they determine what's an appropriate price? Do they simply ask questions and decide based on the answers they are given? Specifically, because it was what prompted this question, how would the FM know that Euron had a dragon's egg, or that an individual has a daughter to give up?

Do they use their abilities to see through lies? Do they investigate a client before agreeing to do business with them?

Both are likely part of the picture. Note what a high premium is placed on observation and learning facts during Arya's training. They probably also have the benefit of people being scared to BS them, what with the unstoppable assassin reputation they have.

Archived