A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Thanks, but what I mean is, how do they know a potential client's worth? How do they determine what's an appropriate price? Do they simply ask questions and decide based on the answers they are given? Specifically, because it was what prompted this question, how would the FM know that Euron had a dragon's egg, or that an individual has a daughter to give up?

I imagine that they "do their homework," whatever that might entail.

I was wondering if anyone thought the caves under the wall will come into play in the future.

It's possible, since the legend is that the cave system DOES have an opening south of the Wall, but unlikely, as nobody knows how to navigate them.

I know if I was a wildling, I'd take my chances trying to climb the wall, rather than risk being lost in the dark and cold of a cave system. Can you imagine?!? *shudder*

What is the age order of Lord Leyton Hightower's children?

Baelor is the oldest and his heir (could've married Elia Martell, married a Rowan instead).

Then there's Alerie, aka Mrs. Mace Tyrell.

Then Alysanne, Denyse (married to a Redwyne), Malora, Garth, Gunthor (married to a Fossoway), Leyla, Humfrey and Lynesse is the baby.

I think we can all agree on what Leyton's been doing up in yon High Tower. B)

Is it explained in the books why Jeor Mormont took the black? Ta.

Yes: it was to allow Jorah to become Lord of Bear Island. We can assume also that Jeor understood the Watch's need for good men and leaders (as many Northmen, particularly those who suffer wildling raids such as the Mormonts, do).

Any idea who are the Red lions of castamere?

The Reynes, I would think - the western family that Tywin killed every member of and demolished their castle because of some insult, I believe one of them said something about Aerys's and Tywin's ruling that Tywin thought was offensive.

The red lions of Castamere would be House Reyne, which is now extinct. The song "Rains of Castamere" is about the Reynes' rebellion against the Lannisters.

ETA: It wasn't about an insult. The Reynes rebelled when Tytos was still Lord of Casterly Rock. Tywin fought and exterminated the Reynes and Tarbecks before he became Lord of Casterly Rock, if memory serves.

The Reynes, I would think - the western family that Tywin killed every member of and demolished their castle because of some insult, I believe one of them said something about Aerys's and Tywin's ruling that Tywin thought was offensive.

I thought it was a failed rebellion. "and who are you, that I must bow so low?"

Was Ned going to allow Jorah to take the black? And if so, why choose exile over joining your father on the Wall? Was he still obsessed with his bitchy wife?

Apparently, Ser Jorah was still blindly obsessed with his wife when he heard Ned was coming to Bear Island to judge him. He decided to run, instead of facing his overlord, and tried to make a living with Lynesse in Lys. From ACoK:

"(...)When I heard that Eddard Stark was coming to Bear Island, I was so lost to honor that rather than stay and face his judgment, I took her with me into exile. Nothing mattered but our love, I told myself. We fled to Lys, where I sold my ship for gold to keep us.”

I'm really not sure if Ned would have allowed Ser Jorah to take the black. Even if it seems that the Wall was home to worse criminals than Jorah, Ned was a stern ruler and held his bannermen to high standards. In his eyes Ser Jorah had dishonored the North, and we all know how much importance Ned placed in honor. From AGoT:

“Ser Jorah is now in Pentos, anxious to earn a royal pardon that would allow him to return from exile,” Robert explained. “Lord Varys makes good use of him.”

“So the slaver has become a spy,” Ned said with distaste. He handed the letter back. “I would rather he become a corpse.”

Apparently, Ser Jorah was still blindly obsessed with his wife when he heard Ned was coming to Bear Island to judge him. He decided to run, instead of facing his overlord, and tried to make a living with Lynesse in Lys. From ACoK:

"(...)When I heard that Eddard Stark was coming to Bear Island, I was so lost to honor that rather than stay and face his judgment, I took her with me into exile. Nothing mattered but our love, I told myself. We fled to Lys, where I sold my ship for gold to keep us.”

I'm really not sure if Ned would have allowed Ser Jorah to take the black. Even if it seems that the Wall was home to worse criminals than Jorah, Ned was a stern ruler and held his bannermen to high standards. In his eyes Ser Jorah had dishonored the North, and we all know how much importance Ned placed in honor. From AGoT:

“Ser Jorah is now in Pentos, anxious to earn a royal pardon that would allow him to return from exile,” Robert explained. “Lord Varys makes good use of him.”

“So the slaver has become a spy,” Ned said with distaste. He handed the letter back. “I would rather he become a corpse.”

I also don't belive that Ned intended to let Jorah take the black. From Ned's POV in AGoT:

"Ned had made the long journey west to Bear Island, only to find when he arrived that Jorah had taken ship beyond the reach of Ice and the king's justice."

But she (at least suggested) wanted to burn Mance's son, so she believes to some extent in the power of his blood.

I feel she didn't burn Mance because she saw his purpose at Winterfell in her flames.

I don't think Mel ever wanted to Burn Mance's son, if she did then she would not have allowed Jon to send him away.

Basically Jon was just afraid Mel might want to burn Aemon or Mance's son, because of their "Kings Blood", but I don't think that means Mel ever actually planned to do that. Just that Jon thought she might.

Edit. I have a question, why was Bowen and all the other Officers so willing to forget Hardhome as a lost cause? I understand what they said about not being concerned with saving more Wildlings, because they were just more mouths to feed etc etc.... But what I don't get is, Cotter Pyke and all the other Nights Watch members with him also needed help. Why wasn't that ever mentioned, that they were not just leaving Wildlings to die, but Sworn Brothers also? Again I get that Jon was the only one who wanted to save the Wildlings, but why didn't the Officers at least care about helping their fellow Brothers?

That just always seemed weird to me, that it was never mentioned. Because Cotter Pyke said Send help by land, ships lost....(or something like that).

What do you guys think?

How many Northmen(or otherwise) we know to join out of their free will in recent time? (minus Jon)

To join what, the Night Watch? If that's the case, at least Benjen and Jeor Mormont.

Other Northmen who appear in recent times amongst the Watch; Bowen Marsh, Duncan Liddle, Ser Wynton Stout, Ser Byam Flint, Ser Mallador Locke and Ronnel Harclay.

While we know that Jon willingly joined the watch, we dont know why Benjen Stark joined it or Why Mormont the head of house mormont decided he had to step down, same for the rest we dont know if they joined the watch exrcising their free will or was encouraged to due some misunderstanding with the law or something like in Sams case.

Archived