A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Do we know where Stone Hedge and Raventree Hall are located? (the Bracken and Blackwood lands)

I always wandered this. As prominent bannermen, their castle's were never plotted on most official maps.

It is said that the Bracken lands are along the Red Fork so I would assume they are both east of Riverrun.

Which of the main Houses were dominant before Aegon's conquest and which only later? I only remember the Stark in the first group, and the Tully and Baratheon in the second.

The Westerlands: House Lannister

The Reach: House Gardener

The Vale: House Arryn

The North: House Stark

The Riverlands & The Iron Islands: House Hoare

The Stormlands: The Storm Kings

Dorne: House Martell

The Baratheons defeated the Storm King and took their lands, words and colours as his own.

The Tullys becames Lord Paramount of the Riverlands after joining Aegon.

The Tyrells surrendered Highgarden and was given lordship over the Reach.

The Greyjoys were given the Iron Islands.

Thats what i know.... :)

Who can enter the lists at tourneys? Is it only lords and knights? (princes as well) The reason I ask is because of northmen, many of whom do not become knights. So if a man from the North is not a (prince) lord or knight can he participate in a tourney? And do we have any examples? Thanks.

Who can enter the lists at tourneys? Is it only lords and knights? (princes as well) The reason I ask is because of northmen, many of whom do not become knights. So if a man from the North is not a (prince) lord or knight can he participate in a tourney? And do we have any examples? Thanks.

There were some Northmen participating in the Tourney of the Hand, if I recall correctly.

No need to be a knight to enter the lists.

You need only something to bring into play (your armour and your horse) or money to buy it back, in case you lose.

For a hedge knight, it is almost impossible to prove that you are a knight anyway (if the one who knighted you is dead for example), and they do enter the lists.

It is well explained in the D&E stories.

No need to be a knight to enter the lists.

You need only something to bring into play (your armour and your horse) or money to buy it back, in case you lose.

For a hedge knight, it is almost impossible to prove that you are a knight anyway (if the one who knighted you is dead for example), and they do enter the lists.

It is well explained in the D&E stories.

But I thought in the D&E stories that Dunk almost could not enter the lists because he could not prove he was a knight and didn't Breakspear allow it? I need to read those again. Thanks :)

Btw thanks everyone :) for your answers, I thought I remembered northmen being in the torney for the Hand but I didn't know if that was because Ned was the Hand or if it happens anyway.

People from prominent families in the north are alowed in tourneys even if they are not knights,.There is no "hedge nobles" so as long as you have the right last name is not a problem.The north is to far and segregated for anyone whos not a lord to be bothered to be in a tourney or even be intrested enough.

The great distance also means that only way to hear of a turney is by raven and only lords keep ravens and even then the trip might be too long to get there in time.

But I thought in the D&E stories that Dunk almost could not enter the lists because he could not prove he was a knight and didn't Breakspear allow it? I need to read those again. Thanks :)

Btw thanks everyone :) for your answers, I thought I remembered northmen being in the torney for the Hand but I didn't know if that was because Ned was the Hand or if it happens anyway.

I started a thread in the general forum so we can discuss this more and so we don't take up to much space here. Thanks for all of your responses!

It says in ADWD during Stannis's march to Winterfell that his second in command is Ser Richard Horpe...... Does he not have any Lords with him? or did the lords that are, fall out of favor? If they did fall from favor, how the hell would the rest of the realm want to side with him if he is putting Knights in charge of Lords?

It says in ADWD during Stannis's march to Winterfell that his second in command is Ser Richard Horpe...... Does he not have any Lords with him? or did the lords that are, fall out of favor? If they did fall from favor, how the hell would the rest of the realm want to side with him if he is putting Knights in charge of Lords?

Knights get put in charge over Lords all the Time. Ser Lora's was put in charge of Renly's vanguard, despite many Lords asking for that honor. Many times the Kingsguard are put in charge in a battle situation, when it comes to actually leading a battle. I think most of Stannis's actual "Lords" must not be that competent of a leader. Also some of the actual Lords were probably left at the Wall with Queen Selyse. Stannis cant really put a Northman in charge, he doesn't know them well enough.

A knight would probably be more competent in combat than most lords. You can be a lord by accident of birth; becoming a knight implies martial skill.

I've been wondering for awhile now, whats the difference between a sellsword and a freerider? I thought they were the same thing until I notced the titles on the forum, so it made me wonder are they different or what? Dont they both just go around fighting for coin?

Hey guys.

Quick question.

I'm chatting with my boyfriend about various stuff in the book, and I can't for the life of me remember something.

Either in a Bran or a Jon chapter, we hear about men who abandoned the wall, only to be sent back. Their punishment was to be encased in the ice of the wall facing north for all eternity.

Do any of you remember the specifics, so I can reference it on the wiki?

thanks!

-Fire_kiss

I've been wondering for awhile now, whats the difference between a sellsword and a freerider? I thought they were the same thing until I notced the titles on the forum, so it made me wonder are they different or what? Dont they both just go around fighting for coin?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mercenary

Either in a Bran or a Jon chapter, we hear about men who abandoned the wall, only to be sent back. Their punishment was to be encased in the ice of the wall facing north for all eternity.

http://awoiaf.wester...-nine_Sentinels

Archived