A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Here it is:

“A man sees. A man knows.”

She remembered that she hated him. “You scared me. You’re one of them now, I should have let you burn. What are you doing here? Go away or I’ll yell for Weese.”

“A man pays his debts. A man owes three.”

“Three?”

“The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest.”

He wants to help me, Arya realized with a rush of hope that made her dizzy. “Take me to Riverrun, it’s not far, if we stole some horses we could—”

He laid a finger on her lips. “Three lives you shall have of me. No more, no less. Three and we are done. So a girl must ponder.” He kissed her hair softly. “But not too long.”

Thank you, Kissdbyfire!

I thought Jaqen would talk of Many-faced god or some such.

You're welcome!

And yeah, I would have thought the same. Truth is, I hadn't really noticed he talks of the Red God in this passage until I searched for it just now.

I think it's pretty clear that Jeor Mormont wanted to join the Watch, so Jorah could become the Lord of Bear Island. Basically Jeor didn't want pull a Walder Frey, and make his son wait his whole life to become a Lord. Also i am sure that Jeor felt that the Watch had need of good men. Jeor definitely joined on his own free will, he was the Lord of his House, who from his own family could have forced him to join the Watch?

I also never got the impression that Benjen was forced to join the Watch. Benjen doesn't seem to have any resentment towards Ned. Also we know that Benjen visited Winterfell often, that doesn't seem indicative of someone being forced to leave Winterfell. If Benjen was forced to join the Watch, you would think that he would be angry and never go back to Winterfell.

Benjen was the third son, and as the culture of Westeros seems to be based on that of medieval europe, perhaps we can assume that primogeniture is the law. In that case, only the eldest son would inherit the estate, and the others would have to find something else to do. For a while in medieval Europe, these second and third sons would be set up as bishops. As few of them were "called to serve" the people and lower clergy were often dissatisfied, and after some back and forth, this practice was eliminated. In Westeros it appears that these "extra" sons often become knights, but is it clear where they live? The big powerful families are able to set up some (Stannis, for example) with castles taken in conquest, but don't we see others traveling as soldiers?

What I was getting at was that the Night's Watch is another option for these extra sons. Probably in the South they don't do it much, but it would make sense that, for Northmen, this is still an honorable option. Isn't Denys Mallister a second son?

And speaking of Second Sons, I thought that name was in reference to non-inheriting sons.

Benjen was the third son, and as the culture of Westeros seems to be based on that of medieval europe, perhaps we can assume that primogeniture is the law. In that case, only the eldest son would inherit the estate, and the others would have to find something else to do. For a while in medieval Europe, these second and third sons would be set up as bishops. As few of them were "called to serve" the people and lower clergy were often dissatisfied, and after some back and forth, this practice was eliminated. In Westeros it appears that these "extra" sons often become knights, but is it clear where they live? The big powerful families are able to set up some (Stannis, for example) with castles taken in conquest, but don't we see others traveling as soldiers?

What I was getting at was that the Night's Watch is another option for these extra sons. Probably in the South they don't do it much, but it would make sense that, for Northmen, this is still an honorable option. Isn't Denys Mallister a second son?

And speaking of Second Sons, I thought that name was in reference to non-inheriting sons.

I think what you say makes sense, though from what I remember from the books most younger sons would stay at their family's state as some kind of subordinate to the older son (don't know the exact name for that), like that Karstark who was castellan, or Garlan Tyrell. But I don't think that was Benjen's case, because I remember that, when asked about it, Martin said we would learn why he joined the Watch later in the books. If his case fit that general explanation, he probably would have said so right away.

I think what you say makes sense, though from what I remember from the books most younger sons would stay at their family's state as some kind of subordinate to the older son (don't know the exact name for that), like that Karstark who was castellan, or Garlan Tyrell. But I don't think that was Benjen's case, because I remember that, when asked about it, Martin said we would learn why he joined the Watch later in the books. If his case fit that general explanation, he probably would have said so right away.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. I guess we'll just have to look forward to learning Benjen's backstory, hopefully from his own (living) mouth. : )

The Foote's are listed as a noble house of the Westerlands on the wiki, with no-named keep and the only member we know of is Ser Phillip Foote.

Is there a Lord Foote still in the Westerlands? Is Phillip his younger brother or younger son? Or have the Foote's finally given a place to call home?

This isnt musical chairs and not everyone get to play, unless Jeor age making him unfit or he wasnt uncapable to deal with some problem, there was no reason for him to step down... also there a number of people who could have forced him and a number of situations in which he would want to do it himself in the interest of his house, not all of them nice. as I said it your statement that "Jeor definitely joined" based on a guess based on your perception of him.

I don't remember in which book, but the old bear told that he took the black so his son could be a Lord in his own right.

Not every family has castles and keeps to spare, but Ned told Bran (and Arya, about Bran) that one day he would hold a keep to his brother as bannerman, so Benjen could have done that also, if he wanted.

I have a question for the readers actually:

Is anyone [geniunely]rooting for Cersei to survive the books and retire and live out her days as lady of casterly rock?Especially since at the end of ADWD it has been noted that the "fire has been quenched from her veins" or something

along those lines..has the evil woman we"ve known during the first 4 books finally been replaced by a more stoic,wiser and peaceful

lady?

Hey if Jaime got a redemption,then Cersei deserves one too.

Is anyone [geniunely]rooting for Cersei to survive the books and retire and live out her days as lady of casterly rock?Especially since at the end of ADWD it has been noted that the "fire has been quenched from her veins" or something

along those lines..has the evil woman we"ve known during the first 4 books finally been replaced by a more stoic,wiser and peaceful

lady?

Well, I personally think crazy Cersei, later dying, is much more interesting, but I don't think this is the place for this kind of questions. I'd suggest you create a topic on the subject. ;)

lady?

I think Cersei will survive until the last book but all bets are off when the new Queen arrives.

A new question, as I seem to be full of them lately. What happened to Ermesande Hayford's parents?

During the parley between Jaime and Blackflish, Jaime offers to let him take the black and tells him Ned Stark's bastard is the Lord Commander. The Blackfish responds by saying Cat didn't trust the boy ( :bang: ) and something along the lines of "and it seems she was right." What is he talking about?

Yeah he says Cat never trusted Jon as she never trusted Theon and that it seemed she was right about both of them, I suppose he had heard the rumors of Jon being a turncloak, killing Qhorin and that bs.

Maybe this has been discussed already and I missed it but....

In ASOS when Dondarrion was fighting the Hound in the cave to prove guilt , he cut his hand and lit his sword on fire with it. Is there significance to him being able to do this and the Azor ahai prophecy or is it just a mummers trick.

In ASOS when Dondarrion was fighting the Hound in the cave to prove guilt , he cut his hand and lit his sword on fire with it. Is there significance to him being able to do this and the Azor ahai prophecy or is it just a mummers trick.

Wow. I never noticed that before! I had to go back and re-read because I couldn't believe it!

I think it's further proof that R'hllor has imbued Thoros and Beric with his power. Pretty sure blood doesn't catch fire, so that rules put the mummer's trick.

I always assumed the blade had been tempered with some substance that would be ignited by blood, but there really isn't any explanation for that in the books.

I always assumed the blade had been tempered with some substance that would be ignited by blood

Given the way that Gendry (does the BWB have any other smith) constrasts Beric's flamey sword with the wildfire tricks Thoros used to use on his sword, it seems that Beric's firesword is supposed to be some sort of magic. Gendry would know if this was some sort of trick to ignite a substance on the sword, which would quickly damage it and require frequent replacements, similar to Thoros's trick.

Archived