A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

When Arya makes her water in the woods and sees the eyes of a wolfpack they retreat. Did they really 'recognize' her?

It's never stated one way or another but I think so, my assumption being it's Nymeria's pack...

Ok, first post. I just finished reading all of the books for the first time. Very helpful, this place. My small question: Was there any hint that I missed about Ser Mandon Moore and who might have told him to slice up Tyrion? I was really hoping one of the Cersei chapters would have a thought about this, but there was nothing that I remember seeing......

Welcome to the boards!

In the thread: cersei's public penitence walk: did the punishment fit the crime? I attempted to list all crimes Cersei was guilty of.

I believe either Joffrey or Cersei could be responsible for Moore's actions. It's not explicit in the text, but both had motive to want him dead. Both had means and opportunity, as the Queen Regant and King had control over the King's Guard.

I believe either Joffrey or Cersei could be responsible for Moore's actions. It's not explicit in the text, but both had motive to want him dead. Both had means and opportunity, as the Queen Regant and King had control over the King's Guard.

Don't forget Littlefinger. Ser Mandon Moored hailed from the Vale after all, so it's possible that he was Littlefinger's catspaw all along.

Welcome to the boards!

In the thread: cersei's public penitence walk: did the punishment fit the crime? I attempted to list all crimes Cersei was guilty of.

Don't forget Littlefinger. Ser Mandon Moored hailed from the Vale after all, so it's possible that he was Littlefinger's catspaw all along.

Yeah, looks like there was nothing explicit I missed. I think another contender may also be Lysa. She certainly had reasons to both hate the imp and want to silence him (forever). She also may have had Vale connections with Ser Mandon Moore. And if she could kill her husband, she certainly would have no qualms about killing the man she helped frame for her husband's murder...

I agree, this has always irked me... they certainly don't seem reformable. I know how desperate the Watch is for men but I still think psychopaths and cannibals would be more of a liability than an asset, especially in a perilous military situation.

I remember reading in ASOS that when they began the practice of taking the condemned the ratio was much different. There were many more "noble " men who joined as an honor and were able to keep the bad ones in line. The numbers have been slowly inversing and thus you have the revolt against Mormont at Crasters, and the other issues. It was a slippery slope, hard to see when it hits the tipping point.

I would like to follow that thread ^.^

<snip>

I didn´t start the thread about the Wall but it´s discussed in the Heresy 7 thread. You´ll also find an answer to your other question.

So, I was wondering... the direwolves are kind of an indicator f who deserves to be trusted or not, correct? If that's the case, and Ghost likes Melisandre... could that mean Jon can actually trust her?

It´s speculated that Bloodraven warged Ghost at that time to check Mel out. I don´t like this idea, but the Heresy threads are still great reading.

Small question, I guess. Who would be considered Edmure's heir after Hoster died? Would it be Cat's oldest living son? Or someone else?

I believe, so yeah. Until Edmure had a child of his own, Catelyn's oldest surviving son — Bran — would stand to inherit Riverrun. If the Tullys ever get it back from the Freys, and methinks they will. I think Sansa will end up with it.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Why was Jaime, captain of the King's Guard, allowed to lead part of his father's army? Shouldn't his place always be to guard the king and royal family?

Was it because by leading said army he was "protecting" the king? Or because at that time the Lannisters were the most powerful house and who was gonna say no? Or a combination of the two?

I seriously doubt that if another member of the guard wanted to leave King's Landing to fight for their own family it would be allowed.

Quote from AFfC, Jaime POV (Jaime and Cersei dialogue)

"You presume to dicker with me? Need I remind you, you are sworn to obey."

"I am sworn to protect the king. My place is at his side."

"Your place is wherever he sends you."

"Tommen puts his seal on every paper that you put in front of him."

The KG are also sworn to obey the king's orders and in this case Jaime is sent to fight Tommen's enemies, who are also House Lannister's enemies. So technically he is keeping to his vows, both in protecting the king and obeying his orders.

Quote from AFfC, Jaime POV (Jaime and Cersei dialogue)

"You presume to dicker with me? Need I remind you, you are sworn to obey."

"I am sworn to protect the king. My place is at his side."

"Your place is wherever he sends you."

"Tommen puts his seal on every paper that you put in front of him."

The KG are also sworn to obey the king's orders and in this case Jaime is sent to fight Tommen's enemies, who are also House Lannister's enemies. So technically he is keeping to his vows, both in protecting the king and obeying his orders.

That makes sense. Thank you! :)

Why was Jaime, captain of the King's Guard, allowed to lead part of his father's army? Shouldn't his place always be to guard the king and royal family?

There are instances of the Kingsguard serving as commanders of Royal forces (Barristan, Jon Darry), and even some of them leading the forces of their former House (Prince Lewyn). They've dedicated their lives to combat so it would make sense that they're usually the most capable commanders available to the King.

As is said any time a member of the KG leaves the King, other members remain to protect him. In Jaime's case that was Osmund Kettleblack, Boros Blount, and Loras Tyrell (and later Robert Strong). At the end of the War of the Usurper, when Barristan, Jonothor, and Lewyn were sent to fight Robert, only Jaime was left to guard Aerys.

Archived