A Thread for Small Questions XIV

Xray the Enforcer

It would be Catelyn and her children, followed by Lysa and her child and then finally the Blackfish.

Wouldn't we assume Riverrun follows the same law of succession the Targs establish via the Dance of Dragons, where male heirs come before any female ones. If so, wouldn't it be Brynden after Edmure, until he fathers a son.

Wouldn't we assume Riverrun follows the same law of succession the Targs establish via the Dance of Dragons, where male heirs come before any female ones. If so, wouldn't it be Brynden after Edmure, until he fathers a son.

That succession is for the Iron Throne only.

Iron Throne: All males must be exhausted before a female can make a claim.

Dorne: Older daughters inherit before younger sons.

Everywhere else: Sons inherit before daughters but daughters inherit before a lord's brother.

Is the magae that cersei meets with when she is very young the grandmother of Jayne westerling? I thought I remember a connection in the description of the two ladies. If so is there anything worth exploring there?

Maggy the Frog is Sybell Westerling's grandmother and Jeyne Westerling's great-grandmother.

As for the connection, I've seen two schools of thought.

1. People who believe the Westerlings definitely betrayed Robb have said that Sybell would know how to make a love potion that Jeyne would have used to seduce him.

2. People who believe the Westerlings are playing the Lannisters have said that the Westerlings have no good reason to work with the Lannisters and some good reasons to betray them.

Whether either of those is the case remains to be seen.

I miss Ygritte. Anyone else? Antone think there's a chance she comes back, or had a Martinesque death where she isn't fully dead?

No. We had a full description of her death, Jon saw her dead body and believed her to be dead, the body was probably burned, and her surviving would be useless to the plot.

If Arya had whispered Tywin into Jaqen's ear, whould he have done it?

Yes, I think under those circumstances Jaqen would be forced to kill whoever Arya ordered him to. Not that she saw any direct reason to kill Tywin though.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but of all the prophecies the one I couldn't place was the one that went something like 'a hero reborn from the sea (waves?)' or similar. I don't think Davos would qualify as heroic in that context...but no one else came readily to mind. I know that the Ironmen philosophy could stretch to it...but can't see who the hero would be.

Any help?

Also of the answer is Patches, oh, oh, oh, I'll throw my books out the window.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but of all the prophecies the one I couldn't place was the one that went something like 'a hero reborn from the sea (waves?)' or similar. I don't think Davos would qualify as heroic in that context...but no one else came readily to mind. I know that the Ironmen philosophy could stretch to it...but can't see who the hero would be.

Any help?

Also of the answer is Patches, oh, oh, oh, I'll throw my books out the window.

It follows GRRM's formulae; provide plenty of possibilities to fulfill the prophesies then throw it out into the arena for us to snarl over.

gameofthrones3.jpg

Well hello. First time poster here. Hope I'm posting in the right place, if not kindly direct me to the right topic.

I am having a hard time locating the hardcover editions pictured above. I have found them on ebay (pictured above) but there they seem to be sold as a set at quite a high price ($135 all together). I'm looking to buy one at a time since I can't afford to buy a set, but I can't find what I'm confident are the right editions, since most listings seem to have a stock photo.

In particular I'm now looking for the Clash of Kings book. This cover (the brownish with the crown) is pictured at various websites, and I did indeed order it from one such but instead I got the one pictured below:

ACoK_US_Original_Hardcover.jpg

So I wonder. ...

1) does someone have the version of Clash of Kings in the first picture

2) could whoever does post the ISBN number of that book here

3) does anyone know where exactly to get these particular editions.

4) what is the publishing date of this version, and what is the publisher?

There seems to be a marked difference between "Bantam" and "Bantam Spectra". Is this a Bantam version? Can't read what it says at the bottom of the spines.

The ISBN of the book I got is 0553108034, and that ISBN number incidently also seems to pertain to a version with the crown on violet background. I wonder if that's also the ISBN of the brownish crown edition.

Hope someone can help me out :)

Sincerely, Magnus Axelsson

What are the ages of Jon Snow and Aegon as of ADWD? - (I don't have my copy with me).

I only ask because Jon seems considerably more mature but he should be younger, right? It just seems a bit odd.

Jon was supposed to be 16, nearing 17, I guess. Tyrion describes YG as a 16-year-old, but he's supposed to be at least one year older than Jon.

Did Brandon come up with the idea that Rhaegar raped and kidnapped Lyanna by himself? Or did someone tell him that's what happened?

I don't think that's ever stated, but Brandon was impulsive, so it's not unbelievable that whatever he heard became "I have to get my sister back from those dragons NOW!"

If Arya had whispered Tywin into Jaqen's ear, whould he have done it?

Jaqen told Arya that she could name anyone at all and he would eventually kill them when he got the chance, but that that might be far in the future. It's not for sure that he would have had an opportunity to kill Tywin at Harrenhal.

How do you pronounce daenerys?

What Fire_Kiss said about the audiobook is right (and that's how it is on the show too), but GRRM has said that he doesn't really think about pronunciation and as far as he's concerned there's no official right way.

Archived