Who do you think was the Little Crannogman?

Drowsey Dragon

"The porcupine knight, the pitchfork knight, and the knight of the twin towers." Bran had heard enough stories to know that. "He was the little crannogman, I told you."

"Whoever he was, the old gods gave strength to his arm. The porcupine knight fell first, then the pitchfork knight, and lastly the knight of the two towers. None were well loved, so the common folk cheered lustily for the Knight of the Laughing Tree, as the new champion soon was called. When his fallen foes sought to ransom horse and armor, the Knight of the Laughing Tree spoke in a booming voice through his helm, saying, ‘Teach your squire honor, that shall be ransom enough.’

Anyone else think this could have been Lyanna Stark in disguise?

"The porcupine knight, the pitchfork knight, and the knight of the twin towers." Bran had heard enough stories to know that. "He was the little crannogman, I told you."

"Whoever he was, the old gods gave strength to his arm. The porcupine knight fell first, then the pitchfork knight, and lastly the knight of the two towers. None were well loved, so the common folk cheered lustily for the Knight of the Laughing Tree, as the new champion soon was called. When his fallen foes sought to ransom horse and armor, the Knight of the Laughing Tree spoke in a booming voice through his helm, saying, ‘Teach your squire honor, that shall be ransom enough.’

Anyone else think this could have been Lyanna Stark in disguise?

Actually, a lot of people think this.

Bran thinks it's the Little Crannogman, but... never believe what the characters think in ASOIAF...

If Bran was right indeed, I think the Reeds would have confirmed. They didn't.

There are plenty of arguments on this forum and the wiki towards The Knight of the Laughing Tree = Lyanna Stark. Just read them... even if you're not convinced, they are interesting and explain also some of Rhaegar's motivations

Benjen was too young. There are theories that it was Lyanna.

Could you, or someone else, elaborate a bit on those theories? They seem to be a little bit far-fetched.

If Howland Reed could have unhorsed three knights in the lists why did Lyanna have to intercede on his behalf when their squires were bullying him? We know Howland Reed, or indeed crannogmen in general, did not train with sword and lance. However, we do know that Lyanna Stark kicked the three squires' asses with a practice sword. We also have suggestion that Lyanna was a great rider alluded to a couple of times and jousting is said to be mainly about horsemanship.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna Stark. Also, paranoid King Aerys sent his son Rhaegar to find out who this mysterious knight was? Rhaegar found out it was Lyanna and the rest, as they say, is history ;)

If Howland Reed could have unhorsed three knights in the lists why did Lyanna have to intercede on his behalf when their squires were bullying him? We know Howland Reed, or indeed crannogmen in general, did not train with sword and lance. However, we do know that Lyanna Stark kicked the three squires' asses with a practice sword. We also have suggestion that Lyanna was a great rider alluded to a couple of times and jousting is said to be mainly about horsemanship.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna Stark. Also, paranoid King Aerys sent his son Rhaegar to find out who this mysterious knight was? Rhaegar found out it was Lyanna and the rest, as they say, is history ;)

Good points. I hope it is revealed at some point, but odds are it was Lyanna.

• 2 months later...

I thought lyanna was never taught how to wield the sword. And the mystery knight was Ned as he was extremely skilled with a blade. Also he had never fought for sport in a tourney that we know of so no one can know it was him. But if lyanna was trained in swords and jousting then it could be her. But my money is on Ned. The booming voice and also reed bieng one his companions afterwards when they go to Dorne.

I thought lyanna was never taught how to wield the sword. And the mystery knight was Ned as he was extremely skilled with a blade. Also he had never fought for sport in a tourney that we know of so no one can know it was him. But if lyanna was trained in swords and jousting then it could be her. But my money is on Ned. The booming voice and also reed bieng one his companions afterwards when they go to Dorne.

First of all, I suggest you don't qualify Ned's skill at arms based on the show.

Second, the mystery knight defeated his opponents in a joust, so he used a lance not a sword. Lyanna was considered to be a skilled rider, as Harwin tells Arya so.

I just re read that chapter. And meera keeps asking bran if Ned ever told this story. Also meera says that the night before the tourney the crannogman bunks with the quiet wolf who we understand to be Ned. We know howland reed rode with Ned to war. I mean I like the idea of the knight being lyanna but in my opinion the signs point to Ned.

I just re read that chapter. And meera keeps asking bran if Ned ever told this story. Also meera says that the night before the tourney the crannogman bunks with the quiet wolf who we understand to be Ned. We know howland reed rode with Ned to war. I mean I like the idea of the knight being lyanna but in my opinion the signs point to Ned.

Archived