Should Jorah Mormont Take the Black? (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the Black would be a nice plot twist for him, but I don't think, that he would leave Dany. I could see him following her in secret and somehow helping her and get redeemedor in serious trouble or both.

But maybe he'll learn somehow of his fathers fate, which could lead him to take the Black as an obligation to his father.

....why would he haul ass all the way back to Westeros to take the black? . and..um... Jorah did already turn down that option before, which is why he sailed across the seas in the first place

And then it'd be double awkward since Old Bear is his kin, it'll be all "oh hello lord father... I know you took the black to give me full lordship of our house, and then I completely screwed that up.. yeaaaah, so whats goin on up here?"

A big problem with him taking the Black just from a story perspective, we have two POV's with Sam and Jon a third Nights Watch POV would be a little redundant. I know we have multiple Kings Landing view points and we had multiple Winterfell POV's in the earlier books, but they were all relevant to the story we were being told. Jorah taking the Black just doesn't have anything beneficial to add to the story at this point, in my opinion.

....why would he haul ass all the way back to Westeros to take the black? . and..um... Jorah did already turn down that option before, which is why he sailed across the seas in the first place

And then it'd be double awkward since Old Bear is his kin, it'll be all "oh hello lord father... I know you took the black to give me full lordship of our house, and then I completely screwed that up.. yeaaaah, so whats goin on up here?"

I think he ran mostly because he didn't want to give up Lynesse, but she is gone now, and Dany is never going to take him for a lover no matter what he does. As far as the old bear...

You do know that he is dead right? So there ain't gonna be no reunion. It was the Old Bear's dying wish that Jorah take the black though, and I'd like to think if Jorah hears that (from Sam eventually?), and gets it through his thick head that those beautiful young women like Dany will never feel the same way for him as he does for them, that he might take the path that redeems his honor.

A big problem with him taking the Black just from a story perspective, we have two POV's with Sam and Jon a third Nights Watch POV would be a little redundant. I know we have multiple Kings Landing view points and we had multiple Winterfell POV's in the earlier books, but they were all relevant to the story we were being told. Jorah taking the Black just doesn't have anything beneficial to add to the story at this point, in my opinion.

At this point in the story, you are right, it would have no benefit. But what about as a conclusion to his story arc? Like towards the end of ADOS or something.

@Ser WunWun - yes we the reader know that spoiler, but does Jorah?

Also, I'd like to believe this silly thing known as "male pride" would take over.

We're talking about a man who broke laws to make money to keep his wife happy. A man who then chose to immigrate overseas instead of taking the black, again to keep his wife happy

Jorah isn't gonna run with tail between legs to join a frozen guard in middle of nowhere, he is gonna find a way to MAKE his Queen if not love him, then at least accept him back into her service.

As last ditch effort - he'll either join sellsword company or be perpetually drunk in a corner somwhere... possibly both at same time

At this point in the story, you are right, it would have no benefit. But what about as a conclusion to his story arc? Like towards the end of ADOS or something.

Yes see thats why i said right now, later on when everything is said and done if Jorah survives it would be a fitting end to his tale albeit somewhat sad one.

Yes see thats why i said right now, later on when everything is said and done if Jorah survives it would be a fitting end to his tale albeit somewhat sad one.

Agreed, I reckon it would be nice for him to follow in the steps of his father. As long as he accepts that Dany has no feelings for him.

I somehow don't see him taking the Black, I guess he will be trailing after Dany instead, trying to get in her good grace again (or maybe we are all wrong and he does something entirely different). I don't know, how he will react though, if the information of his fathers dead and the cause of it reaches him - maybe through Sam or Varys. I'm very curious about his future fate.

I somehow don't see him taking the Black, I guess he will be trailing after Dany instead, trying to get in her good grace again (or maybe we are all wrong and he does something entirely different). I don't know, how he will react though, if the information of his fathers dead and the cause of it reaches him - maybe through Sam or Varys. I'm very curious about his future fate.

Me too! Always had a hunch since Jon got Longclaw in AGOT that Jon and Jorah would meet somehow and that Longclaw will have something to do with the outcome of that meeting. And there is another character that I want to meet Jorah, because he has a message for him.

Jorah has been on a quest of redemption from the start. First he was trying to redeem his standing in the Westeros to earn a pardon back to bear island.

Then, he fell in love with Daenerys, and is trying to redeem his acts of betrayal towards her. I dont think this has changed in Jorah's mind, I believe he is keeping an eye on her and will make a move when the opportunity presents itself.

The Black would end all chances of winning Daenerys back, whether Dany wants that or not, I dont see Jorah just giving up.

Ser Jorah taking The Black would be an interesting twist, but I don't think it will happen. I expect he will leave and return at some point with a plan to win Dany back. I see her getting into some tough situations without Ser Jorah at her side, even if she does have the Bold one. I expect he will come to her rescue in the future, or at least attempt it.

My hope for Jorah now that he has been dismissed from Dany's company is that he runs into another female character and serves that character.

Spoiler from AFFC (note my above is just a hope and I have read nothing to suggest that this will happen):

Now that Arya is in Braavos, I'm hoping Jorah ends up there and becomes her sworn sword (Since ya know, shes a Stark and he is a Mormont)

Archived