NFL: The Aftermath.

Sivin

alguien

formerly "nadie"

Posted Today, 05:38 PM

snapback.pngSivin, on 08 February 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Besides, I'll tear down FedEx Field with my bare hands before I let Peyton Manning walk into it wearing a Redskins uniform.

What with your avatar and

, I'm now slightly worried for Fed Ex field...

(now I have this scene in my head with Sivin standing over a insensate Peyton Manning and proclaiming in an extremely muffled voice, "When the Redskins are... ashes, you have my permission to leave.")

I don't know how to quote from a locked thread, so this was the best I can do.

alguien, this post just made my week.

Now, onto other statements.

"The Redskins have had some tough years, but they're not a losing franchise overall."

They're a losing franchise right now. And that's what's important. And I'm sorry, but as long as Dan Snyder is in power, the Redskins will have no shot at P-Man.

As far as the futility of Peyton Manning going to Washington, I would say something like: "Why shoot a man in the head before throwing him out of a plane...?" ;)

I'd actually be interested to see Peyton playing in Washington D.C., if only to see if it goes better than the experiment with McNabb.

Naw. Denver needs to trade Tebow to Jacksonville, then sign Manning.

And while I am dreaming, I would also like a pet unicorn.

STAY THIS MADNESS!

Grossman projected the Redskins would make the playoffs, and for a minute he seemed to have them on course. Then reality struck like a wrecking ball. Grossman and John Beck proved why Washington will nab a quarterback in the draft or free agency in 2012.

Sorry, it's not Peyton Manning.

Just wanted to comment on the picture of the ticket paying $50k for the safety-as-first-score bet. That was showing up on some of the gambling forums that I go to very shortly after the score, and I think it's real. 50:1 is not actually ridiculous for the odds, seeing as how it happened once before, in Super Bowl IX (look at it this way: if you'd made that bet at 50:1 at every super bowl, you'd be *way* up), and Vegas is certainly not in the business of offering purely realistic odds, particularly for gimmicky long-shots. I mean, it's still a rip-off bet, but not so ridiculously rip-off that it's not plausible. It would be surprising if nobody bet at least $1k on that just for kicks and giggles. Anyone who finds that implausible doesn't understand the degeneracy of sports bettors.

They also tend to be yummy yummy fish at the poker tables.

The question is, how much authority will Manning be willing to cede to a head coach? Will he have been humbled by his evident mortality; are there any coaches who he would trust to make the calls he used to make in Indianapolis? Assuming his number one goal is to win another Super Bowl, he might be willing to meet a coach halfway if he thinks they can deliver on their end. He probably won't like it, but he might not have a choice. He was the leader of a pack of misfits in Indy with a ineffective head coach, and that only got him one Super Bowl when he was in his prime, so he might not want to become the same person on another similar team that would have the same level of success.

Naw. Denver needs to trade Tebow to Jacksonville, then sign Manning.

So Shahid Khan is on record saying it was a clear mistake for Jacksonville not to draft Tebow, which I'm sure gave the GM and Gabbert the warm and fuzzies.

Anyway Schefter goes on one radio station in town and when asked on what Jacksonville would give for him, throws out the hypothetical, from the top of his head, that Jacksonville would offer up to a 2nd and a 5th for Tebow. Another radio station gets word of this, takes it as fact and starts taking calls from listeners on whether they would do the deal. Most would. Maybe even Elway, who knows.

Just bringing this up because it's not outside the realm of possibility of Jacksonville making a play for him after Khan's comments.

Grossman and John Beck proved why Washington will nab a quarterback in the draft or free agency in 2012.

Sorry, it's not Peyton Manning.

It's cool, dude. You're probably right.

Unrelated: just got a text from my new buddy

Phaeton asking about how bad the commute is from Georgetown to Ashburn.

Romo to the Jets and Manning to Dallas... Reasoning... We already know Peyton looks good in blue and white.

Utterly ridiculous. I got into it with my uncle last month when he mentioned this. It's possible if you have Manning and maybe three other players on the team. The cap hit they would take for trading Romo would be astronomical. And Peyton will not play for peanuts. Bargin basement discount for him would be what? 12 million a year? For a player with a fused neck?

For good or bad, they've made their bed with Tony Romo. He blew 2 games this year (Jets and Lions) but he won them four (Niners, Skins twice, Fins) and stat wise he's coming off his best season. Career wise he has 2 to 1 TD to pick ratio. He's a Top 10 QB (probably between 8 or 10) and even if the number could work I wouldn't get rid of him for an aging, injured Manning. He's not the problem in Dallas.

The real question will be what to do with Laurent Robinson. He came out of nowhere to have a a great season. 11 TD's and almost 1k yards. He wants to stay in Dallas but at what price? He's only 26 and someone* is bound to offer him close #1 receiver money. I love the guy but he might be a luxury when they have much more pressing needs. On the line they have to improve the interior and Saints guard Carl Nicks could be on their radar. He's a Pro Bowler and he's also 26. Jerry isn't afraid to offer top dollar to guards. Leonard Davis worked out pretty well for them.

On defense they need another corner badly. Newman will be cut ASAP. I'm wondering if they will target Cortland Finnegan. He's on the smallish size but he plays big. He even seemed to be less dickish this season.

* That someone almost definitely NOT be WR-needy Chicago. I think they'd be a little gun shy around former Dallas receiver. :P

Utterly ridiculous. I got into it with my uncle last month when he mentioned this. It's possible if you have Manning and maybe three other players on the team. The cap hit they would take for trading Romo would be astronomical. And Peyton will not play for peanuts. Bargin basement discount for him would be what? 12 million a year? For a player with a fused neck?

For good or bad, they've made their bed with Tony Romo. He blew 2 games this year (Jets and Lions) but he won them four (Niners, Skins twice, Fins) and stat wise he's coming off his best season. Career wise he has 2 to 1 TD to pick ratio. He's a Top 10 QB (probably between 8 or 10) and even if the number could work I wouldn't get rid of him for an aging, injured Manning. He's not the problem in Dallas.

The real question will be what to do with Laurent Robinson. He came out of nowhere to have a a great season. 11 TD's and almost 1k yards. He wants to stay in Dallas but at what price? He's only 26 and someone* is bound to offer him close #1 receiver money. I love the guy but he might be a luxury when they have much more pressing needs. On the line they have to improve the interior and Saints guard Carl Nicks could be on their radar. He's a Pro Bowler and he's also 26. Jerry isn't afraid to offer top dollar to guards. Leonard Davis worked out pretty well for them.

On defense they need another corner badly. Newman will be cut ASAP. I'm wondering if they will target Cortland Finnegan. He's on the smallish size but he plays big. He even seemed to be less dickish this season.

* That someone almost definitely NOT be WR-needy Chicago. I think they'd be a little gun shy around former Dallas receiver. :P

I was just kidding about the Romo/Manning comment. I think that Romo is a great QB as well. I would still take him over Eli Manning just by evaluating his entire body of work, and not over reacting to a couple of great playoff runs by Manning. That call is getting close now though.

I think Dallas has to keep Robinson. He has earned his pay, and even though he will be expensive, I don't think that it is going to be too much of a reach to pay him. The Cowboys are in the top of the NFL with cap room this year because of all of the pre season cuts last year. I would like to see Nicks here as well, but the Saints have the inside track with him as well. Even though the Saints have a ton of free agents, Nicks should be their #2 priority just behind Drew Brees. I am expecting Coleston to be a casualty there.

Although I agree that Newman shouldn't be back, I think we need a pass rusher before we need another DB. We have Scandrick and Jenkins, and both of them are very serviceable corners. Ball is not bad either as a number 3. We need someone else to get pressure on the QB so they aren't stuck out to dry. The problem is that this draft doesn't look too good for pass rushers, and neither does free agency so I expect we will re sign Spencer and hope he reaches his potential.

I was just kidding about the Romo/Manning comment. I think that Romo is a great QB as well. I would still take him over Eli Manning just by evaluating his entire body of work, and not over reacting to a couple of great playoff runs by Manning. That call is getting close now though.

I think Dallas has to keep Robinson. He has earned his pay, and even though he will be expensive, I don't think that it is going to be too much of a reach to pay him. The Cowboys are in the top of the NFL with cap room this year because of all of the pre season cuts last year. I would like to see Nicks here as well, but the Saints have the inside track with him as well. Even though the Saints have a ton of free agents, Nicks should be their #2 priority just behind Drew Brees. I am expecting Coleston to be a casualty there.

Although I agree that Newman shouldn't be back, I think we need a pass rusher before we need another DB. We have Scandrick and Jenkins, and both of them are very serviceable corners. Ball is not bad either as a number 3. We need someone else to get pressure on the QB so they aren't stuck out to dry. The problem is that this draft doesn't look too good for pass rushers, and neither does free agency so I expect we will re sign Spencer and hope he reaches his potential.

I think the Saints keep Colston. I think he's too valuable to what the Saints do. Meechem is also a FA. And the Saints also made OG Jahril Evans the highest paid guard in the league in 2010. Might be tough to spend that much on the same position.

I agree that they HAVE to improve the pass rush and I agree the pickings slim in free agency. http://www.footballs...2012/fa/lb.html That site has a listings of the best upcoming free agents. As you said, Anthony Spencer would appear to be the best pass rushing linebacker in FA. Which means an average of 6 sacks a year. They need someone opposite Ware to get at least 8 to 10. Maybe they sign Spencer to a deal but they also need to draft another one high. There are guys who could MAYBE fall to them like Courtney Upshaw, Melvin Ingran or Nick Perry. Or maybe hey trade down, aquire more picks, and get Whitney Merclius or Andre Branch.

I'd rather seem them draft a pass rusher (or more) and get a starting corner in free agency. Oh and I agree Ball isn't that bad...he's (Charles Barkley voice) TURRIBLE. Awful.Two years ago they tried him at safety and he gave the most TD's of any player in the league. Last season on any big play you could see him in the picture having either gotten burned or taking a bad angle. They should also draft a corner in the mid rounds to fill out the depth chart behind their new starter, Jenkins, and Scandrick.

eta: Oh and Spencer has had 5 years to show his potential. He is what he is: good run defender, mediocre pass rusher.

As long as the Cowboys pass on David DeCastro, I'm happy. I really hope they target a pass rusher in the draft.

If they can't land an offensive lineman in free agency they very well could target him. Jerry broke his streak last season in not drafting a o-lineman in the 1st round. Tyron Smith had an outstanding rookie season.

If they can't land an offensive lineman in free agency they very well could target him. Jerry broke his streak last season in not drafting a o-lineman in the 1st round. Tyron Smith had an outstanding rookie season.

It's my biggest worry. He is who I want as a Bengals fan. It would help our team tremendously. Unfortunately, the Chiefs, Cowboys and Cardinals are all in front of them and need an upgrade on the interior offensive line.

I know the Jets couldn't cut Holmes, but this is not going to end well. Maybe this means Sanchez is gone. I don't know his salary, but I don't think they can cut him either. This is not going to be good.

At least the Giants won and I have that to hold me over until the Jets circus begins again.

I know the Jets couldn't cut Holmes, but this is not going to end well. Maybe this means Sanchez is gone. I don't know his salary, but I don't think they can cut him either. This is not going to be good.

At least the Giants won and I have that to hold me over until the Jets circus begins again.

Only two years left on the Sanchez train! Unless they're about to get Peyton though I don't think Sanchez is going anywhere just yet. Although who knows? They do like trading away most of their picks to move up; maybe they'll give up their draft board to get RG3.

I think the Cowboys would be wise to sign Rex Grossman. You want your backup to mirror the way the starter plays so you don't have to scrap the playbook when he comes in. Who better than to backup Tony Romo than the poor man's Tony Romo? That way, fans won't become disoriented and frightened by the sudden lack of 30 yard bombs and nonsensical interceptions when Romo goes out.

I think the Cowboys would be wise to sign Rex Grossman. You want your backup to mirror the way the starter plays so you don't have to scrap the playbook when he comes in. Who better than to backup Tony Romo than the poor man's Tony Romo? That way, fans won't become disoriented and frightened by the sudden lack of 30 yard bombs and nonsensical interceptions when Romo goes out.

Interceptions make sense? :P

Ya know, maybe Peyton should go to Washington. I mean, it would go against everything they've been trying to do: go younger and build through the draft. But he could become another in the long line of over 30 stars they've signed in the past. In this case, his neck would be so bad his head would fall off. ;)

Archived