NFL: The Aftermath.

Sivin

In this case, his neck would be so bad his head would fall off. ;)

I am not wholly convinced that a headless Peyton Manning would not be better than any of our current options.

Only two years left on the Sanchez train! Unless they're about to get Peyton though I don't think Sanchez is going anywhere just yet. Although who knows? They do like trading away most of their picks to move up; maybe they'll give up their draft board to get RG3.

I wonder how much of the Sanchez train wreck was him just sucking and how much was what was happening behind the scenes. He was doing well in the beginning of the year and then the train quickly flew off the tracks. Now did the behind the scenes stuff happen because the train flew off the tracks or was it the other way around. I am hopeful things can get straightened out, they shore up their run blocking again and the Jets return to how they were in previous seasons. But with both Sanchez and Holmes there I don't think that happens.

They can't afford Peyton and Sanchez. I am not sure who are their FAs I think they franchised Harris last year and I would much rather they sign Harris long term then get Peyton. But what do I know.

I wonder how much of the Sanchez train wreck was him just sucking and how much was what was happening behind the scenes. He was doing well in the beginning of the year and then the train quickly flew off the tracks. Now did the behind the scenes stuff happen because the train flew off the tracks or was it the other way around. I am hopeful things can get straightened out, they shore up their run blocking again and the Jets return to how they were in previous seasons. But with both Sanchez and Holmes there I don't think that happens.

They can't afford Peyton and Sanchez. I am not sure who are their FAs I think they franchised Harris last year and I would much rather they sign Harris long term then get Peyton. But what do I know.

If I'm reading this chart right cutting Sanchez this year would be a $5 million cap hit; which would be pretty bad, especially since I'm pretty sure the Jets are right near the cap already anyway. But it might be worth it (not sure how much depth they;d lose to make sure there was enough cap space) if the end result was Peyton as QB.

I love Sound FX. It's my favourite football show. This is from the Super Bowl.

Also, the Bengals have the most money under the cap but without a salary floor in affect this year. How much do you want to bet the Bengals don't get any good FA? We do have some people we need to resign (Lawson, Nelson, Rucker) or extend (Atkins, Dunlap) but even with that, we could still take a run at Nicks, Grubbs or Meachem. Unfortunately, probably won't happen.

I love Sound FX. It's my favourite football show. This is from the Super Bowl.

I hadn't really been watching any replays from the game before this one. I had no idea just how close Gronkowski was to making a dive catch for the ball on the hail mary. Crazy.

I hadn't really been watching any replays from the game before this one. I had no idea just how close Gronkowski was to making a dive catch for the ball on the hail mary. Crazy.

I thought he had it when it happened because the angle was directly behind Gronk and all I saw was him diving for a ball that seemed to be hanging a touch too long. Then I saw it on the ground and got very happy.

* That someone almost definitely NOT be WR-needy Chicago. I think they'd be a little gun shy around former Dallas receiver. :P

I think Chicago knew what they were getting into when they signed Roy Dropin-Smiles-Williams, they were just saying "hey, for 1 million, let's see if we can get lucky."

That's just my take on it, though.

I think the Cowboys would be wise to sign Rex Grossman. You want your backup to mirror the way the starter plays so you don't have to scrap the playbook when he comes in. Who better than to backup Tony Romo than the poor man's Tony Romo? That way, fans won't become disoriented and frightened by the sudden lack of 30 yard bombs and nonsensical interceptions when Romo goes out.

No, I think it would be wrong to take Rex away from you 'Skins fans. It just wouldn't be fair to deprive you of such excitement.

Even a 40% Peyton Manning in NY makes the Jets the best team in the AFC.

I think Chicago knew what they were getting into when they signed Roy Dropin-Smiles-Williams, they were just saying "hey, for 1 million, let's see if we can get lucky."

Actually I was talking about Sam "Scarface" Hurd. His arrest was a much bigger deal that Roy sucking.

I was a bit depressed as Mike Lombardi was saying that as of now Peyton can not throw to his left across the body; but then I realized only Favre and Romo do that :laugh:

As to where Peyton will land; the important point to note that if he is cleared by the doctors, he gets to pick the team. This is NOT a trade. Sorry Redskins fans, he is not going there as the team is not that good and he will not want to be in the same division as Eli. Unless it is the 49ers (seems unlikely with Alex Smith being the caddie of Harbaugh at the Pebble Beach ); I think NFC teams are out. The NFC teams have a harder path to SB at this moment. And also Peyton probably is more familiar with the AFC teams. The Cardinals will make a run at him; but they have only Fitzy going for them.

As for the AFC teams: we can eliminate the Pats (duh), Bills and Browns (never going there), Bengals and Steelers, Ravens (was a possibility, but Flacco showed enough in the AFC championship game to keep his job), Jags (a dreadful team).

Probably he does not want to play in AFC west as the Chargers seem to have his number. Also the Raiders are stuck with Palmer. The Broncos are keeping Tebow at least for this year. The Chiefs are a middle of the pack team.

So his options are:

Jets: Does he really want to play in NY? May be he will want to hang out with Eli. Rex Ryan is the type of coach who will let Manning run the offense without much interference. But Rex seems to have a personality that is completely the opposite of Peyton. Also the team has a toxic locker room.

Dolphins: Has a great LT in Long and a decent OL to protect his neck; has some decent weapons including Marshall. The new HC seems QB friendly based on his success with Rodgers (and Flynn based on what we saw). But may be they want Matt Flynn (I can't believe that I am typing this) over Manning in the longer term.

Titans: going back to Tennessee may be appealing to him. If he has an acrimonious departure from Indy (looking more and more likely) he may want to play Indy twice a year. But the team is not that great. Also they have Jake Locker waiting in the wings.

Texans: Before you say wtf, hear me out. They have great team. Could have been the AFC champion if Schaub was healthy. The thing is Schaub has Lisfranc injury, difficult to shake of. Also Texans are the one team that knows how good Manning is. They have been getting murdered at the hand of Peyton since they have been in the league. If Manning is healthy he will be doing all he can to get on that team, handing the ball to Foster or throwing play action bombs to Johnson. He will have a dominant defense to lean on. Can happen.

On Manning: I think you could add the Seahawks to the NFC team. They are a young team that went 7-9 with no QB. They have talent at the other skill positions. Pete Carroll and the GM have quietly built a hard-hitting defense.

Though for the record, I don't think Peyton Manning will play again. I have some experience with spine issues and nerve damage. The pain is nothing compared to the weakness and numbness. That is the scary part and I'm pretty sure that's nwhat he is dealing with.

Jets: Does he really want to play in NY? May be he will want to hang out with Eli. Rex Ryan is the type of coach who will let Manning run the offense without much interference. But Rex seems to have a personality that is completely the opposite of Peyton. Also the team has a toxic locker room.

Can't rule it out, but I don't think he wants to infringe on "Eli's city".

Dolphins: Has a great LT in Long and a decent OL to protect his neck; has some decent weapons including Marshall. The new HC seems QB friendly based on his success with Rodgers (and Flynn based on what we saw). But may be they want Matt Flynn (I can't believe that I am typing this) over Manning in the longer term.

This is the most likely place for him to end up considering he has a house down there. Guess it depends on what he thinks of the new coach and whether he's willing to take on the Marino legacy.

But as you mention there's plenty of reason to believe Flynn ends up there.

Titans: going back to Tennessee may be appealing to him. If he has an acrimonious departure from Indy (looking more and more likely) he may want to play Indy twice a year. But the team is not that great. Also they have Jake Locker waiting in the wings.

Zero chance. Titans have already nipped it in the bud that they will not be pursuing Peyton (to quell the screams of Volunteer fans) as they have their QB of the present in Hasslebeck and future in Locker.

Texans: Before you say wtf, hear me out. They have great team. Could have been the AFC champion if Schaub was healthy. The thing is Schaub has Lisfranc injury, difficult to shake of. Also Texans are the one team that knows how good Manning is. They have been getting murdered at the hand of Peyton since they have been in the league. If Manning is healthy he will be doing all he can to get on that team, handing the ball to Foster or throwing play action bombs to Johnson. He will have a dominant defense to lean on. Can happen.

At best an extreme dark horse. I don't think the Texans would do Schaub that way and I'm not sure Manning is the type of guy who spends 10 years of his career trying to beat a rising divisional rival and then goes over to them the second tables are turned.

Basically I have no idea where he goes. I don't give any team a better than 20% chance because everyone's got drawbacks and I wouldn't be surprised if some dark horse team, that maybe was a contender this year, comes out and gets him in the same way the Eagles got Asoumugha last year.

Though for the record, I don't think Peyton Manning will play again. I have some experience with spine issues and nerve damage. The pain is nothing compared to the weakness and numbness. That is the scary part and I'm pretty sure that's nwhat he is dealing with.

I think he will for a few reasons:

A ) He's super motivated right now

B ) His doctor is on record saying that if it were his own son, he'd tell him to play

C ) Apparently Chris Weinke had a very similar injury and though it was a very lengthy process, he got his arm back to full strength. He's been preaching patience to Peyton these last few months.

Actually I was talking about Sam "Scarface" Hurd. His arrest was a much bigger deal that Roy sucking.

Ha, you're absolutely right.

Curious decision by the Raiders:

http://espn.go.com/n...-stanford-routt

I thought he was decent.

Mexal got it right. Al Davis somehow got it into his head that if he paid Routt like Nnamdi, he might play like Nnamdi. Didn't happen.

C ) Apparently Chris Weinke had a very similar injury and though it was a very lengthy process, he got his arm back to full strength. He's been preaching patience to Peyton these last few months.

And this will be the only time that Peyton Manning might consider listening to advice from Chris Weinke.

Peyton should hang 'em up. He's done everything one could hope for in a career. He's in any conversation about Best Ever at his position, he's got the ring, he's got the popularity. He played for one team for his entire career - spare them the decision, let them move on to the future, and stay on good terms with the team and the city.

Peyton ran Indy. He was in charge in all but name for years. And he's never going to have a situation on another team where he runs the offense, instead of a coach. Even if he did, it would take more time than he really has to make it run smoothly.

I cannot imagine having to make a decision like this, it must feel like trying to breathe water to think "It's time to stop this part of my life, what has been 99% of my life for the last 30 years," so I'll understand if he doesn't want to do it, can't do it.

OT: Mya, when does my Dushkuness expire?

And this will be the only time that Peyton Manning might consider listening to advice from Chris Weinke.

Peyton should hang 'em up. He's done everything one could hope for in a career. He's in any conversation about Best Ever at his position, he's got the ring, he's got the popularity. He played for one team for his entire career - spare them the decision, let them move on to the future, and stay on good terms with the team and the city.

I don't think Peyton likes the idea that he wouldn't be retiring on his terms but on the fact that he was injured. Other than that, I agree. I think he should retire though a league without Peyton Manning would be very weird.

I don't think Peyton likes the idea that he wouldn't be retiring on his terms but on the fact that he was injured. Other than that, I agree. I think he should retire though a league without Peyton Manning would be very weird.

He probably hates it. Any athlete, any person, would hate that. And I have loved watching the guy play. I am not emotionally involved in the decision, so it's easy for me to say "Maybe he should call it a career," knowing that he doesn't know who I am and I don't have any clue what's in his brain or what it's like to walk away from something you've dedicated your life to.

How about he gets one more series next season, the Colts march down the field, he throws one more score, then saddles up and rides off into the sunset.

I am not wholly convinced that a headless Peyton Manning would not be better than any of our current options.

Nothing against Peyton, one of the best to ever play the game, but I tend to agree. How about Matt Flynn... he's shown great talent and good QB poise... and he's young. Maybe a final selling point, he should be fairly affordable as a free agent.

Funny enough, when I tried to search for just how old (young) he is, this article came up: "Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn are the names to watch in free agency"

Nothing against Peyton, one of the best to ever play the game, but I tend to agree. How about Matt Flynn... he's shown great talent and good QB poise... and he's young. Maybe a final selling point, he should be fairly affordable as a free agent.

Funny enough, when I tried to search for just how old (young) he is, this article came up: "Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn are the names to watch in free agency"

Matt Flynn reminds me of Matt Cassell. I wouldn't want to invest so much in him.

Archived