Brienne and Jamie = lurve? *near end of book spoilers*

rezor

Is it me, or does anyone else think that GRRM is gearing up towards a coupling between Brienne and Jamie?

There have been multiple references in Jamie's POV now to her physical appearance that have changed from his first observations of her 'freakish' body to something almost complimentary and his thoughts often go to her. Then of course there was her rescue in the bear pits, which could have been due to Jamie's newfound change of heart, but there was a strong scent of romance as well. He hasn't compared her to Cersei much as yet, but it seems like GRRM's subtle trickery rather than coincidence that he's thinking about her a lot while his taste for his sister is diminishing. Brienne certainly thinks of him a good deal, and has been quoted a few times now for having mentioned his name in her sleep and when she was recovering from the Biter. Etc, etc.

Anyone else thinking this? She's the opposite of Jamie's usual conquests in every possible way; a warrior instead of a maiden; 'ugly' instead of Cersei beautiful, and it might explain why GRRM keeps including and increasing her POV's which have been fairly meandering up until this point. My guess is she frees herself from Zombie Cat with her one word and agrees to kill Jamie then finds at the time that she can't do it because she loves him so. And he might realise the same too, being Cersei free. Even if this doesn't happen, I still think there's a strong case for romantic overtones on both their ends.

It doesn't hurt my theory that her casting in season 2 is fairly complimentary...she looks a great deal better than she's described in the books, but then again, so does Jorah. I've got a feeling the producers will ham this pairing up...

Jaime's taste for Cersei hasn't diminished :ack: it's just he realizes what an awful person she is. But yeah theres romance between Jaime and Brienne nice catch

It's not that Jaime's affection for Cersei has dimished as much as it isn't sexual anymore.

At some point in this book, Jaime started thinking about Brienne as someone worth punching Red Ronnet for and Cersei as this plain sister not worthy to fight two Kettleblacks, his cousin Lancel and a woman named Talena for.

ETA: Jealousy an urge as primal as love yet Jaime feels it because of a failed betrothal Brienne didn't even want (instead of the 4 lovers - and counting - Cersei had whenever he wasn't around).

• 1 month later...

I want these two to get together more than I've ever wanted a couple to get together. I think the reason why I've fallen in love with them being together is Jaime sees Brienne's worth. He sees that although she isn't pretty, or small or delicate she still has worth. Maybe only Jaime and her father have ever taken the time to see that in her. (Renly sort of saw it, that she was useful to him...but then he mocked her to Loras so...)

Brienne has also taken the time to really see Jaime. Not just what he shows the outside world to kind of...keep people out. But she's seen him at his worst, knows his deepest secrets and still accepts him for who he is.

The book clues that this is going somewhere friendship-wise or as I prefer, romantically:

He gave her Oathkeeper. His father gave it to him and he gave it to her. You'd have to think highly of someone to give them a gift like that.

It upset him when Brienne was suspicious of his motivation for giving it to her, and so he wanted her to go away...because if someone that knows him so well could still think like that about him...well it wasn't good. So he cares deeply what Brienne thinks about him.
He came back and rescued her from the Bear--that could be for other reason besides that he cares about her, but when she asks why he came back he said, "I dreamed of you."

He prayed for her when he was at his father's wake.

He thinks about her often.

As for Brienne:

When she was in a fever, she called for him.

When she was upset and felt like giving up, she thought about being in Jaime's arms and wondered if he'd comfort her if she cried.
She stood up to Un-Cat and told her that Jaime had changed and mentioned him rescuing her.

She tried to think of Renly but his face turned into Jaimie's.

I think it's pretty clear they have feelings for each other...but whether we ever get to see them actually together in any way...I hate to say it but I don't see it ever getting physical, no matter how much I'd like it to. (and not because of what Biter did to her face...I think Jaime could overcome that...after all he likes the INSIDE already, not the wrapper)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's pretty clear they have feelings for each other...but whether we ever get to see them actually together in any way...I hate to say it but I don't see it ever getting physical, no matter how much I'd like it to. (and not because of what Biter did to her face...I think Jaime could overcome that...after all he likes the INSIDE already, not the wrapper)

Jaime's arc has always been about true love more than appearances anyway, his goal was to get Cersei to love him for who he was or at least to find someone that does.

Even if Brienne sells him out, he couldn't care less as long as she loves him like he wants to be loved. He risked his life for her at the bear pit so he's not afraid to die: he's only afraid Brienne wouldn't feel the way that he does.

Jaime's arc has always been about true love more than appearances anyway, his goal was to get Cersei to love him for who he was or at least to find someone that does.

Even if Brienne sells him out, he couldn't care less as long as she loves him like he wants to be loved. He risked his life for her at the bear pit so he's not afraid to die: he's only afraid Brienne wouldn't feel the way that he does.

I really liked this reply...I thought it was very sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

It has obviously been gearing towards it since Jaime's first POV chapters in ASOS. His thoughts about Brienne were quite interesting, and he kept comparing her to Cersei - at first unfavorably, but then came the 'she's gentler than Cersei' line, and Jaime's arousal which surprised and shocked him at the time. He's clearly been written as torn between the two and moving towards Brienne while being more and more disillusioned and 'breaking up' with Cersei.

Judging by Brienne's POV chapters, she is already in love with him, although she isn't ready to admit it to herself yet. so she's trying to think of Renly instead, her 'acceptable' object of adoration, but she keeps dreaming about Jaime instead.

Jaime's POVs have been an endearing battle between his heart and his mind when it comes to Brienne. His rational mind tells him this is crazy, which confirms his first impulse towards Brienne are the actions of a man hopelessly in love.

Brienne's POVs, on the other hand, are of a hopeless romantic that believes her first love must to be the last, her inner battle is between the reality of Jaime (imperfect, ironic and provocative) and the ideal of Renly (perfect, idyllic and responsive).

Her feelings for Jaime a surprise as big as his own feelings for Brienne.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for pumping an old thread, but I feel a worthy discussion to keep going.

Brienne was central to the metamorphosis Jaime underwent during his capture by Hoat, where his entire identity was close to eliminated (like Theon) and he was forced to decide whether he wanted to go back to being "old Jaime" after his release by Bolton, or become more a more compassionate knight, valuing honor and defending the weak. I believe Brienne's morals and idealism of what a knight (and knight of the Kingsguard in particular) should represent have a major influence on Jaime by the time he returns to King's Landing.

Archived