Brienne and Jamie = lurve? *near end of book spoilers*

rezor

SPOILER: i DO NOT reccomend reading if you haven`t finished AFFC yet!

I was absolutely sure that eventually Jamie & Brienne are going to end up being together & loving each other, but it could`ve been too obvious and more important, too mainstream :drunk: Both of them had already understood that the other one has some not so nice characheristics, but they seem to have gotten past them. For example Jamie is sorta attracted to Brienne, She is the polar oposite of his twisted sister and he is totally fed up with her being the Queen regent, talkin` trash all the time and behaving like he is her employee. And Brienne is very brave-a quality that makes The Kingslayer very horny...Brienne also has entered the profound personality of him, she has gotten the chance to be sure that he is a man of honor and respect. There are some that are complaining about the chapters where Brienne is POV, but for me they are quite interesting and in fact are my favouirite in AFFC. I started to like her but she can`t be with Jaime dead, right? She was hanged and screamed one last word...wasn`t mentioned what it was but I bet it was " Jamie". Tragic, J.M. really pisses me off sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fun opposites-attract idea to ponder. These two characters are indeed opposite in nearly every way imaginable, except for being misunderstood (about the death of kings) and their martial skills. The author certainly plants the seeds of this idea throughout these characters' chapters. As has already been mentioned, they certainly are in each other's thoughts. A touch I particularly liked was

Brienne dreaming of Connington offering her a rose but she chopped off his hand. ( !!!) Following that, Jamie punched Connington with his prosthetic hand (!!!) at the bear pit, after Connington had been dissing her.

Yanno, that would make me happy. So I'm sure it won't happen. Also I'm not romantic enough to really think they'll end up together. But I could see some big possibilities for plots come of this heartfelt respect and loyalty. They are the only remaining true friends in the same country. If Brienne gets killed I could see Jamie losing his mind and going batshit after whoever he thinks did it. Cersei?

I think the keyword here is bond. I love it when two people hate each other and then help each other when shit hits the fan. They went through hell together and they bonded. I don't know about romance - that might be reaching a bit....

I also think that each one is the only one that the other trusts at this point in the game. He saved her from that bear and gave her a righteous sword - that means everything to her. She fought to protect him and is truly honorable, two things that mean everything to him.

They're both feeling very alone in the world right now and wish the one person they trust was with them.

Brienne seems to have been swinging from a rope the last chapter I read about her in aFoC. I suspect if she and Jaime ever get together it will be Jaime and zombie-Brienne. She was homely to start with. Now that she had her face badly scarred (eaten) I'm sure she's real pretty now. Death will make her even prettier... if Thoros might "save" her.

Just finished her last chapter in FfC. Here's my take, fwiw. The word she said was "sword," meaning she'd take up the sword to go after Jaime, to save her life and Pod's. This not only causes internal conflict over vows at odds, but also over her going after Jaime. If she were to stumble upon Sansa/Alayne on her way, what would do with her to keep her safe? Give her to zombie mom? Let her stay with Littlefinger?

There is definitely something going on between those two. At first I thought, "oh no, another story where people despise each other and then realise they love each other" but now I'm growing to like their chemistry - it's quite sweet, and they are good for each other.

I'm not convinced

Brienne's dead - GRRM left it quite ambiguous and it's quite likely that whatever one word she shouted convinced zombie-Catelyn to cut her down in the nick of time.

I don't really think that they'll end up together. As a matter of fact, I'd hate the idea. Why? Because Jaime is really starting to care for his vows, and it would be disappointing (at least for me) if he broke such an important one. On the other hand (pun not intended), if Jaime and Brienne were to hook up, it would mean that he sees her as more important than Casterly Rock, seeing as he picked his vows before it (Brienne>Vows>Casterly Rock); and that would kick ass.

Regarding Brienne's last words, i think she said "Arya" as in "Arya is still alive and i could get her for you" or something, but it's just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I am fairly sure Brienne is alive and that she said "Okay, I'll get Jamie for you." hoping that she could buy herself time tothink something up to get herself out of the situation. I think there's a zero chance they could both make it to the end of story alive, so there is no way she could become Lady of Casterly Rock or any way they could live together. I think at least one of them will die but I am pretty sure Jaime is gonna take Brienne's V-card before. Right now it seems to be processing to a point where Brienne recognizes he's the one guy she probably wouldn't slay down, if he tried to get in her pants. He slowly replaces Renly in her dreams, and Renly was the guy she was in love with. For him, I think she's kind of a rebound shag after Cersei (I do think she'll be dead by than).

• 4 months later...

Well, Jaime is a member of the Kingsguard and they aren't allowed to have lovers so I doubt Jaime will get together with Brienne. Besides, I'm more of the opinion that Jaime and Brienne are friends/comrades after their experiences together.

SPOILER!!!

I think they will be a couple but that is so obviously. i don't know the right English word, but this story sounds like a fairy tale you could tell your children when they go to bed!

By the way, we don't know Brienne is still herself. Maybe she was hanged but unCat kissed her back to life to make her loyal.

i don't know the right English word, but this story sounds like a fairy tale you could tell your children when they go to bed!

If GRRM has made one thing abundantly clear, ASOIAF is now fricken fairy tale!

As I noted in the wedding quotes thread in the general forum, romantic love is almost a death sentance in ASOIAF.

Sansa starts out with hopelessly romantic ideas about courtly love. WHAM! You're betrothed to a psychopath. Have some torture.

Brienne crushing on Stanis... sorry sweetling but it'll never work for a lot of reasons... oh and... WHAM! He's dead.

Robb falls for a sweet pretty maid from a minor house in the midst of a war for the throne, forsaking his arranged marraige for love. WHAM! WHAM WHAMMITY! WHAM! Dead my pretty! HaHaHaHa! And your little dog too!!!!

Rhaegar and Lyanna and Robert love triangle? TRIPPLE WHAM! He's Dead. She 's dead. And a loveless political marraige cuckolded by incest for the survivor. Good times, good times.

As intriguing as it is, if Brienne (ugly and scarred on the outside) and Jamie (ugly and scarred on the inside) really do acheive romantic love, it will be the death of them.

Assuming Big B is not already dead...

• 4 months later...

Is it me, or does anyone else think that GRRM is gearing up towards a coupling between Brienne and Jamie?

Truth be told, I think they left the previous book a couple only neither character realized as much.

She's sleeping with the sword he gave her under her bed, remembers bitterly the one Renly gave her and that they took away from her. He's nothing but jealous of her former suitor, the one he caught up dissing her name on their bear pit and they spend as much time dreaming of one another as they spend missing each other.

Brienne seems to have been swinging from a rope the last chapter I read about her in aFoC. I suspect if she and Jaime ever get together it will be Jaime and zombie-Brienne. She was homely to start with. Now that she had her face badly scarred (eaten) I'm sure she's real pretty now. Death will make her even prettier... if Thoros might "save" her.

To be honest, the only reason why I believe they might just end up together is because the obvious conclusion is that either one - or the two of them - would die trying to save one another.

Most authors would rather "preserve the romance" by cutting the love story at its highest point, than to drag any of the characters into ordinary life with the common problems and typical regreats of a regular couple.

If this were any other book, Jaime would've lost Brienne at the hanging, or Brienne would lose him at the hands of Lady Stoneheart, the very moment they figure out their feelings for one another just for tragedy value.

Since it isn't, all bets are off and, whatever scenario I could picture, no longer applies to them.

I've got a very strong hunch about this one.

(1) Brienne has her two vows: one to keep the daughters safe, one to kill Jaime.

(2) Cersei has a prophecy that obsesses her all throughout AFFC. Her younger brother is going to kill her. GRRM diverts our attention to Tyrion, who has a terrible relationship with Cersei, while at the same time making sure that we all find out that, hey, psst, Cersei is the older of the two twins and BOTH Jaime and Tyrion are younger brothers.

(3) Jaime is going to kill Cersei.

(4) After Jaime kills Cersei, he'll be ready to die at Brienne's hand.

The filler events--whatever spurs Jaime to kill Cersei, whatever brings Brienne back in contact with Jaime--could be all kinds of things. But GRRM plants his clues in plain sight, and these seem pretty obvious to me.

There's no surprise in Tyrion killing Cersei; no twist to the knife. GRRM always twists the knife & Cersei will die in the most painful way possible. That means Jaime. I'd like to believe that Jaime will kill Cersei for good reason, and that it will be a final act that makes readers who like him proud, but maybe all his attempts to change will collapse in a fit of rage. Who knows. In any case, he won't be able to live with the shame, and Brienne will offer a mercy killing.

I think this could be tweaked to be more GRRM-like, which is to say even more dreadfully depressing.

Like I said, the obvious conclusion for either or both Jaime and Brienne is to die at the hands of one another. Only thing is: these books don't do obvious.

Likewise, the obvious result is for Tyrion to kill off Cersei according to the prophecy. Once again: these books don't do obvious.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing is, we are so conditioned now to expect the usual "obvious" archetypes to be crushed that we are going to be totally blindsided when GRRM has a situation that actually plays out how we'd initially expect before picking up aGoT.

The only question is when he'll pull this one out

No, I believe the only woman Jaime has ever loved or will love is Cersei.

After returning to King’s Landing, Jaime seems to have a new-found outlook on honor, duty and his place as the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Part of their vows include remaining celibate.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging only by Brienne's POVs, I think Cersei is the only woman Jaime has ever been in love with in the same vein Renly was the only man Brienne has ever been in love with.

Judging only by Jaime's POVs, Cersei stopped being that woman pretty much since Tywin's funeral, just ask Red Ronnet Conington.

Archived