Real Talk: Are King Stannis and Melisandre shagging?

ServantOnIce

Stannis is too much of a stuffy prig to shag Mel... Just like Tywin would never bed someone like Shae. Puh-lease. Stan's been married to the hideous moustache queen for so long and people think he's gonna pass up a chance at laying Mel? I don't think so. He probably pretended he was Robert while they were doing it - a dream come true for that guy. Why let her share his tent and give up the appearance of morality and monogamy, then not sleep with her even though everyone must believe he is? If anything, he'd shag her in secret, not secretly avoid doing the deed

As for Mel's bed not seeing any action while Stannis was away, I don't know that that proves much - it's just as likely she sleeps in it when Stannis is around just to keep up appearances, sort of like how she'll eat in public so people don't find out she's such a freak she doesn't need food to live. But she's gotta be doing him at least once in a while, else how were the shadowbabies conceived? they seem to come out in a more or less normal fashion, why assume their conception happens in a more unusual way than their birth, when it's clearly at least hinted at that the two of them are indeed doing it on occasion?

OMFG! I re-watched the last teaser, and finally saw Melisandre in what looks to be... uh... you know. At first I thought she was just giving birth to one of the shadow babies, but she seems to be wearing too little clothing for that, so... Yup, definitely happening in the TV show!

He's definitely done it with her at least twice, to produce the shadow-spawn. I personally don't think they've done it any more than that, mostly because Stannis seemed to age noticably after each time he was with her. If they'd been doing it on a more frequent basis he'd be dead by now, she all but outright says it in ASoS.

Interesting, this reminds me of a comment I saw on Facebook when they posted those characters pictures from season two. Someone complained that Stannis looked too weak and sickly there, and, well, Stephen Dillane is not the strongest guy around, but sickly is hardly a way to describe him, yet it does seem appropriate considering that picture. I wonder if he looks like that on purpose, because of the shadow babies.

And, well, the fact that they do it at least two times to produce a magical device does not necessarily mean they won't do that more often for non-magical purposes. Mel certainly enjoys it - why wouldn't Stannis like it as well? lol

Why would stannis do it for duty. He doesn't seem to understand that he makes the shadowbabies or he would know about his involvement in renlys death, and they aren't married so there is no duty involved. Therefore it has to be for pleasure.

And, well, the fact that they do it at least two times to produce a magical device does not necessarily mean they won't do that more often for non-magical purposes. Mel certainly enjoys it - why wouldn't Stannis like it as well? lol

Why would he? To me it's pretty clear that he's asexual, but that's just my interpretation.

Why would stannis do it for duty. He doesn't seem to understand that he makes the shadowbabies or he would know about his involvement in renlys death, and they aren't married so there is no duty involved. Therefore it has to be for pleasure.

He could know it helps her magic without knowing the exact how and why of it. After all, he ordered Davos to smuggle Melisandre into Storm's End, so he must have some inkling that she's doing something.

Exactly, the same way it was out of character for Tywin to be found with a prostitute (his son's prostitute) on his bed.

Not so much. It was Tywin's public face that disapproved of whores. Gemma told Jaime that Tyrion was Tywin's true son, and that likely goes for the whoring, too. Remember the tunnel to Chataya's eatablishment, built for the use of a King's Hand who didn't want to be seen? How long was Tywin a King's Hand? I bet he started about the same time Chataya opened up.

Why would he? To me it's pretty clear that he's asexual, but that's just my interpretation.

A similar thought on my part. The more I've been reading the books and the threads, it strikes me GRRM has allowed the Baratheon boys to represent three types of men.

Robert, the high testosterone heterosexual, Stannis, the cold blooded asexual, and Renly the sensuous homosexual.

Robert was romping in the hay from an early age, as we all know, and the suspicion is Lyanna went off with Rhaegar because she was disgusted with his frolics. Remember Ned Stark contemplating the thought, would Rhaegar have visited brothels, and deciding he wouldn't.

I loved Renly from the moment Sansa first met him on the road to King's Landing, the way he dressed, the way he talked, the way he could not stop laughing at the picture of Arya beating Joff with a broomstick. When I thought of him I always thought of sleek men I have known in my life.

And Stannis. I really think he's well cast. The opposite of Robert. Cold blooded, not like LF, but like a bloodless dead fish. A man the people don't love indeed. And yes, he's doing Mel, because he's cold blooded and wants the throne and this is the path he needs to follow. Does he enjoy it? I bet she warms him up, but he wouldn't enjoy her the way Robert would have. There's an image to have in your head!

And a little tiny thought - Mel needs another shadow baby, Stannis' essence is sucked out almost totally, and Bran takes his body......(v Jon).

I don't even know if it would be possible, since I picture his dick to be a brittle icicle and her vag to be a cave of molten lava.

As Melisandre in her holy wisdom put it Jon S. in ADWD (when Stan is on vacay and her bed has "not been seeing much use"*), "The red God in his wisdom created us opposites. Hot and cold. Ice and fire. Male and female. In these opposites lies the power to create life, the power to birth shadows." Methinks she just gave the game away right there.

Stannis's frozen manhood and Melisandre's steamy, sulfuric depths are opposites and, as a wise woman once put it, "opposites attract."

P.S.-- "Combining opposites" should become our new board wide euphemism for carnal relations. (It was a slow night, overall, and i didn't think me and this girl were hitting it off. But then we went back to her place for some coffee and... well.. let me just say... opposites WERE combined. Several times.")

*Rock hard, ahem, I mean... certain evidence that there is actually NOTHING AT ALL but professional bussiness going on between Mel and Stannis, thankyouverymuchsir.

I believe they only had sex to produce the shadow babies, and that’s it. Stannis is too much of a straight arrow, too rigid and too single-minded in his mind about the concept of principles and right-or-wrongs, to actually have sex with Mel for pleasure and lust.

Stannis is above all a man adept at convincing himself what he wants-- and needs-- to believe. He is surely sleeping with Mel, and surely convincing himself that it is out of duty/ to assist her magic in some way. I'd be willing to bet my life that, early on in their relationship (before Renly's death) Mel gave Stannis a similar speech to the one she gives Jon Snow in ADWD (about there being power in opposites and birthing shadows, etc.) Then she probably implied that to get what she is seen in the fires to come true, he would have to sleep with her. Perhaps he asked her if this was the only way; she said yes. They shagged, and he loved every last second of it more than anything he'd ever experienced before in his life. Of course, he convinces himself that he only slept with her (and continues to do so) out of duty. But anyone can see he is wiildly self deluded.

If anyone else has noticed, Stannis's weird prudery and obsession with outlawing prostitution and/ or monitoring the sexual behavior of others has totally disapeared since he started having regular sex with the beautful Mel. His harping on Robert's sexual behavior and especially his choice to outlaw brothels in dragonstone and his attempt to do so in kings landing as well reeks of sour grapes. Especially considering that, since he is now getting some from a beautiful woman, he has suddenly stopped mentioning this issue at all, ever, that apparently used to be so foremost in his mind.

At any rate, Stannis is clearly enjoying regular sex with Mel. IMo, they had to have sex twice to concieve the shadow babies. However, Mel probably didn't tell Stannis that they only had to shag twice-- and, more telingly, he didn't ask. Because he's loving it, getting immense satisfaction and release from it, and doesn't want to stop. And is constitutionally unable to admit he's shagging another woman while married simply because he desires and enjoys sex with a gorgeous woman.

Though people have noted that Stannis is rather joyless, I do believe that he is by any means incapable of feeling sexual pleasure. In fact, many things suggest he is very highly sexed, perhaps as highly sexed as Robert-- only with much, much better self-control.

I really, really hope it's non-con or dub-con. I doubt he would bang Mel all the time. Maybe he does it when it's necessary but it's a "lie back and think of Westeros" kind of sex.

I don't think he's asexual, he's repressed. I bet he doesn't even fap. If he had a wife who didn't scare him he would probably enjoy sex (since it would be legal).

If anyone else has noticed, Stannis's weird prudery and obsession with outlawing prostitution and/ or monitoring the sexual behavior of others has totally disapeared since he started having regular sex with the beautful Mel. His harping on Robert's sexual behavior and especially his choice to outlaw brothels in dragonstone and his attempt to do so in kings landing as well reeks of sour grapes. Especially considering that, since he is now getting some from a beautiful woman, he has suddenly stopped mentioning this issue at all, ever, that apparently used to be so foremost in his mind.

At any rate, Stannis is clearly enjoying regular sex with Mel. IMo, they had to have sex twice to concieve the shadow babies. However, Mel probably didn't tell Stannis that they only had to shag twice-- and, more telingly, he didn't ask. Because he's loving it, getting immense satisfaction and release from it, and doesn't want to stop. And is constitutionally unable to admit he's shagging another woman while married simply because he desires and enjoys sex with a gorgeous woman.

:agree:

And a little tiny thought - Mel needs another shadow baby, Stannis' essence is sucked out almost totally, and Bran takes his body......(v Jon).

"Bran takes his body", what do you mean by that?

And I am so looking forward to see if and how Melisandre will convince Jon of "combining opposites" with her...

Not so much. It was Tywin's public face that disapproved of whores. Gemma told Jaime that Tyrion was Tywin's true son, and that likely goes for the whoring, too. Remember the tunnel to Chataya's eatablishment, built for the use of a King's Hand who didn't want to be seen? How long was Tywin a King's Hand? I bet he started about the same time Chataya opened up.

I do believe Tywin was responsible for that tunnel, but this idea only convinced me after we saw Shae in his bed. And why can't that image of Stannis be simply the way he's seen publicly as well? I mean, in this series, how many characters actually bother to get to know Stannis? Just Davos, and his interpretation is hardly the most trustworthy, since he seems to overlook his flaws, being just too protective of him. That's why we never get confirmation that Stannis and Mel shared a bed occasionally, because Davos hated her too much to believe old Stan would have that sort of intimacy with her.

They use each other...but I have not figured her out yet, but she does gross me out sometimes.

Me, too -- maybe I just 'way over-internalized that shadow baby scene when she was in the boat with Davos, but I get a bit of a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever she's around, and it seems to me that Jon has that same reaction.

I don't even know if it would be possible, since I picture his dick to be a brittle icicle and her vag to be a cave of molten lava.

Now THAT has gotta be a genius way to pinpoint the issue! And I just can't see Stannis, who seems so self-righteous to me, doing a Bill Clinton or a JFK. Of course, it's also hard for me to believe he could have 'lapped up' her religion so readily, either. And there is that pesky reference to her bed not seeing much use since Stannis left.

Mel seems to be the ultimate 'bewitcher', though, so one never knows. I think that's what makes me so uneasy when she's around Jon, but he seems immune so far (to Mel, that is...not so sure about those stabbings, but I hope immune to those, too).

Archived