Real Talk: Are King Stannis and Melisandre shagging?

ServantOnIce

Stannis is above all a man adept at convincing himself what he wants-- and needs-- to believe. He is surely sleeping with Mel, and surely convincing himself that it is out of duty/ to assist her magic in some way. I'd be willing to bet my life that, early on in their relationship (before Renly's death) Mel gave Stannis a similar speech to the one she gives Jon Snow in ADWD (about there being power in opposites and birthing shadows, etc.) Then she probably implied that to get what she is seen in the fires to come true, he would have to sleep with her. Perhaps he asked her if this was the only way; she said yes. They shagged, and he loved every last second of it more than anything he'd ever experienced before in his life. Of course, he convinces himself that he only slept with her (and continues to do so) out of duty. But anyone can see he is wiildly self deluded.

If anyone else has noticed, Stannis's weird prudery and obsession with outlawing prostitution and/ or monitoring the sexual behavior of others has totally disapeared since he started having regular sex with the beautful Mel. His harping on Robert's sexual behavior and especially his choice to outlaw brothels in dragonstone and his attempt to do so in kings landing as well reeks of sour grapes. Especially considering that, since he is now getting some from a beautiful woman, he has suddenly stopped mentioning this issue at all, ever, that apparently used to be so foremost in his mind.

At any rate, Stannis is clearly enjoying regular sex with Mel. IMo, they had to have sex twice to concieve the shadow babies. However, Mel probably didn't tell Stannis that they only had to shag twice-- and, more telingly, he didn't ask. Because he's loving it, getting immense satisfaction and release from it, and doesn't want to stop. And is constitutionally unable to admit he's shagging another woman while married simply because he desires and enjoys sex with a gorgeous woman.

Though people have noted that Stannis is rather joyless, I do believe that he is by any means incapable of feeling sexual pleasure. In fact, many things suggest he is very highly sexed, perhaps as highly sexed as Robert-- only with much, much better self-control.

I don't think Stannis is just another Tywin, detesting the sexual activities of others while secretly desiring such pleasure for himself. I think he genuinely doesn't like sex, and not just because his wife is ugly. It could be a deep-rooted psychological issue; maybe seeing Robert's detestable example when he was growing up pushed him too far in the opposite direction. I could see him hating sex because he saw it as a weakness and didn't want to be completely controlled by his desires like his brother was. Or maybe Stannis was just naturally asexual; some people are.

It also fits in with the Baratheon brothers all representing different types of men, as Fragile Bird pointed out. On top of the rather obvious trinity of heterosexuality, homosexuality, and asexuality, they also represent different approaches men take regarding sexual love and lust. Robert is the stereotypical playboy, sleeping with dozens of women and then forgetting about them the next morning. Renly is the romantic, devoting himself completely to a single lover, sexually and emotionally. Stannis is the stoic, unable to feel romantic love or even basic sexual lust at all. House Baratheon's sigil is a clear symbol of masculinity, and the three Baratheon brothers seem to represent the different forms that masculinity can take.

As for Stannis no longer caring about his subjects' sex lives, I think that's mostly just because he has bigger concerns right now. He's involved in a massive war for the Iron Throne, I don't think he can afford to ostracize his own soldiers by restricting their sex lives. It also fits in with the general trend of Stannis slowly learning to compromise in order to be a more effective leader.

Melisandre's steamy, sulfuric depths

Why did you have to phrase it like that?! That's even worse than Myrish Swamp... NOT a pleasant image. :bawl:

Regarding the "Bed no action since Stannis left" comment from the books...

What if she isn't sleeping with Stannis, but the Kings men? When Stannis left, same went with all his guys. And of course, Mel most likely wouldn't touch the Queensmen/guards.

It is likely that she managed to seduce a couple of fellows from that stock, versus actually being with the king himself who obviously has the noted qualities of asexuality and a stern nature (Besides, not every single person in Westeros has to be driven by or interested in sex. We can have at least one adult who wants to dissuade from all that) Even Stannis' father mentioned his cooler, reservered personality, which was the reason Patchface the fool was brought over in the first place in order to get him to laugh.

Anyway, just a simple thought that could be entirely wrong for all I know. It's just that If she reached out to Jon and Davos for intimacy, it wouldn't be suprising if she did so to men who may likely be easily interested, particularly a couple of knights under Stannis.

The context of that quote, which no one seems willing to provide, pretty much makes it clear (to me, at least) that Mel "has no time for sleep" now that Stannis is gone. It has nothing to do with sex, jeeze.

The context of that quote is Melisandre discussing how, due to her various R'hllor-y powers, she doesn't actually need to sleep as other men do. Thus, her bed sees little use... unless she is using it for things other than sleep (that is, it has seen little use since Stannis has been gone). I'll look it up later I promise.

Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream.

Hmmm. In that context it actually strongly suggests it's simply due to the workload.

But the T.V. show is showing a sex scene between them or something >.< argghh

House Baratheon's sigil is a clear symbol of masculinity, and the three Baratheon brothers seem to represent the different forms that masculinity can take.

Cat, if you heard a giant Thunking sound, that was me hitting my head :bang: . The antlered stag didn't even cross my mind when I wrote that! Something about, can't see the forest for the trees!!!!!

Stannis does what is right for the realm. He needs to get some from time to time as well. His wife is a terrible human being and ugly on top of it. There is nothing wrong with him and Mel taking part in extra curricular activities... Stannis is the one true king of westeros and Renly was a pretender. Stannis deserves the throne, and he should do what it takes to get it. He is a beast. And he has the best hand ever, Ser Davos Seaworth, Lord of the Rainwood and Admiral of the Narrow Sea.

Dont hate on Stannis. He would also kneel to a Targ. He will beat Ser Stupid and the Bastard. He will get Lord Too-Fat on his side. He will restore the Starks to Winterfell. Stannis=BEAST

The context of that quote, which no one seems willing to provide, pretty much makes it clear (to me, at least) that Mel "has no time for sleep" now that Stannis is gone. It has nothing to do with sex, jeeze.

Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who read it like this and if I had remembered the context all wrong since everyone seems to take it as a sign of them getting it on. It didn't even cross my mind that it was about sex, she obviously had bigger worries to occupy her mind. As I read the books I never tought about them as lovers, other than the shadowbabies were there any hints at all of them doing the nasty?

It is? Who said this? :dunce:

That flash on the last teaser of season two suggests a sexual scene involving Melisandre. The first time I saw it, like I said a few posts ago, I thought it was her having the shadow baby, but looking at the picture it looks more like pleasure than pain, and, well... Mel is crazy, but making that face when a shadow baby is born seems too much even for her lol Besides, she looks naked in the scene, so...

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think they had any sexual relationship until ADwD. And it was not just the part about her bed seeing little use, but also the fact it's strongly implied (if not outright stated, I don't remember) that in order to glamor Mance she slept with him. If her magic involves sex, it's not impossible her and Stannis did it. I actually like the idea of ASoIaF having an asexual character, but we can't ignore that Stannis is capable of performing the act at least when duty is at stake; and why couldn't he take some pleasure from it as well? As far as I know, most asexual people are repelled and/or uninterested in sex, but they still feel sexual desire, as a purely physical need - if we go with the theory that he became asexual as a reaction to how Robert behaved, this is probably the case. Unless he was naturally asexual, incapable of feeling that need and performing according to it, which would mean that Shireen is certainly a bastard.

That flash on the last teaser of season two suggests a sexual scene involving Melisandre. The first time I saw it, like I said a few posts ago, I thought it was her having the shadow baby, but looking at the picture it looks more like pleasure than pain, and, well... Mel is crazy, but making that face when a shadow baby is born seems too much even for her lol Besides, she looks naked in the scene, so...

As per the Davos chapter, he thought that she could've been in agony or ecstasy or both so that bit in the trailer could be the shadow birthing scene .. I hope it's that scene because if they show a Stannis sex scene looking that ~hot, ughh. :rolleyes:

Also. Carice Van Houten tweeted this ADR picture ..

As per the Davos chapter, he thought that she could've been in agony or ecstasy or both so that bit in the trailer could be the shadow birthing scene .. I hope it's that scene because if they show a Stannis sex scene looking that ~hot, ughh. :rolleyes:

Welp. Pack it in.

lol

I didn't remember that! Ok, than she's crazy enough to feel pleasure like that, but then the way the camera didn't focus on her face doesn't make that much sense. (yup, I'm so looking forward to a hot sex scene involving Stannis :drool: )

Hmm, that picture she tweeted... doesn't add much to what we know, unfortunately. That's just Mel trying to get Stannis into her bed, and Stannis looking as serious and reserved as ever lol

lol

I didn't remember that! Ok, than she's crazy enough to feel pleasure like that, but then the way the camera didn't focus on her face doesn't make that much sense. (yup, I'm so looking forward to a hot sex scene involving Stannis :drool: )

Hmm, that picture she tweeted... doesn't add much to what we know, unfortunately. That's just Mel trying to get Stannis into her bed, and Stannis looking as serious and reserved as ever lol

Too bad Stannis is iron. He can only take so much pounding before he breaks.

Welp. Pack it in.

Screencaps like that could be very misleading. I'm not worried .. yet. :D

lol

I'll be a bit disappointed if he suddenly becomes a sex machine with Mel. But since Stephen is kinda hot I won't be mad at all. :leaving:

• 1 month later...

Archived