Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

It means that a beautiful woman/land is being torn apart and violated by rats/kings. What more meaning do you need? :P

I will seriously get sick and slightly disgusted if Jon ends up with Dany. I hope that has another meaning (it doesn't show Hizdahr, for example, so there's at least one husband it missed). I don't know what they'd even see in each other. She'd be turned off by his not being a hotheaded, violent blowhard and he'd be turned off by her willingness to commit senseless violence and willful ignorance, I like to think. I can't see any scenario where they'd believably fall in love with each other, so if it happens to fulfill some boy-meet-girl cliche ... blech.

My thoughts exactly, it would be the most absurd and forced relationship ever :ack: I like to think that the prophecy means men she will fall in love with, you know, it doesn't mean they have to feel the same :leer:

it doesn't show Hizdahr, for example, so there's at least one husband it missed

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The consensus before the book was released was that the figure on the ship was a Grejoy but I find no difficulty believing it to be Hizdahr dying of the plague going around. And if he does turn out to be the Harpy or in league with the Harpy, then he certainly qualifies as a "mount to dread."

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The consensus before the book was released was that the figure on the ship was a Grejoy but I find no difficulty believing it to be Hizdahr dying of the plague going around. And if he does turn out to be the Harpy or in league with the Harpy, then he certainly qualifies as a "mount to dread."

Maybe. I still see it referring to a Greyjoy more than Hizdahr. If Hizdahr actually contracts the plague, then maybe. Until then, I don't see it. I've heard the theory that it refers to Victarion killing Hizdahr, but in any case, that still means that even though these visions might be tied into husbands, they don't necessarily point to the husbands themselves, i.e. Dany saw a vision of representing Victarion, but Victarion will only kill one of her husbands, not become one.

Maybe. I still see it referring to a Greyjoy more than Hizdahr. If Hizdahr actually contracts the plague, then maybe. Until then, I don't see it. I've heard the theory that it refers to Victarion killing Hizdahr, but in any case, that still means that even though these visions might be tied into husbands, they don't necessarily point to the husbands themselves, i.e. Dany saw a vision of representing Victarion, but Victarion will only kill one of her husbands, not become one.

I would just love this, because I don't want to see Dany being married to Victarion (no, I don't like his character at all).

This would also free both Dany and Jon from the cliche of becoming a couple, as then the vision would point toward Jon, but as her nephew who is linked to her future husband [and there are men near the Wall/connected to Jon who would fit much better with Dany - Mance for example, but I even would prefer Stannis as her husband before Jon. But well, they (Jon and Dany) will most likely end up together *sigh*]

It may be that the "Bride of Fire" set of three images all indicate people who will have some kind of personal connection, at least theoretically, with Daenerys.

The first would be Drogo, the case where there actually was a romantic attraction and real interest. The second would perhaps be Euron, possibly married for through a combination of Euron's deception and for military/political reasons. The third would then indicate Jon but only because the two find out that they have a kind of familial connection. Maybe marriage only occurs with the first two and not with Jon. A marriage between Jon Daenerys does not make much sense for a variety of reasons, but the vision-image leaves that as a unpalatable potential scenario.

Alternately, either Jon or Daenerys might die before any prospect of marriage could become realistic. Drogo has died and Euron, if he does link up with Daenerys, probably will die as well at some point. That would then leave either the third person, Jon, to die as a while (fitting the "fire" part of "bride of fire") or Daenerys herself would die. Any type of romance between the two would leave a problematic mark, though, even if it was cut brief.

One of the more likely interpretations of the image which could avoid the Jon x Daenerys problem is that it is a indication of their as yet unknown family relations.

It is also possible that the "fires," "mounts," and "treasons" might be connected to the nine visions.

Well, to be sure, the prophecy implies only that Daenerys would be in love Jon. It said nothing about reciprocation. For all we know, Jon might end up hating her or perhaps begrudgingly marrying her for reasons more pragmatic than anything else. Although, to be honest, I consider this latter idea rather remote.

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman;

I agree with with what everyone else saying that the four kings are the rats.

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;

Clearly The Red Wedding.

4) a scene where an

old man

with long silver hair sits on a

barbed throne

in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";

Aerys had the whole of Kings Landing rigged to blow if i'm not mistaken so this is him talking about Robert or Tywin

5) a

man

who looked like

Viserys

, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a

woman

nursing a baby, "

Aegon

…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

Yup, I agree with everyone, this is Rhaegar talking about his son Aegon but he was obviously wrong about Aegon being tptwp (I think that's Jon Snow).

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;

Obviously Rhaegar on the Trident whispering Lyanna

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow;

I think this is Stannis

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;

I also agree that this is the fake Aegon

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

I really don't know what to think of this one. My first thought was of when Melisandre wanted to give Edric to the flames to wake up the stone dragons on Dragonstone and I think that happened around the time the Dany was in the House of the Undying but i'm not sure and I don't know why Dany would see that.

15) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly;

Yeah, I had no ideas about this one but after reading the theories I like the Greyjoy theory a lot.

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

I think this is a little hint that Jon is Lyanna's son because we know she liked blue flowers and Jon is at the wall.... which is made of ice.

17) shadows dancing in a tent;

[1]

The night Renly was killed.

Well, to be sure, the prophecy implies only that Daenerys would be in love Jon. It said nothing about reciprocation. For all we know, Jon might end up hating her or perhaps begrudgingly marrying her for reasons more pragmatic than anything else. Although, to be honest, I consider this latter idea rather remote.

I don't know, prophecy has proven to be a tricky and deceptive thing, remembers Marwyn's quote from Gorghan of Old Ghis about prophecy. In the prophecy of the Undying, the mounts may be to deceive us into thinking that mount = husband, but another opportunity presents itself: mount doesn't have to mean husband, it can mean king. Khal Drogo was the mount to bed, in Dothraki culture, khals are kings. The mount to dread was Hizdahr, the King of Meereen, she dreaded her marriage to him and making him her king. Jon could be the mount to love, he could be the king she loves not as his wife and lover, but as his aunt.

"Smiling sadly" has been linked to "grey joy", so I definitely think it refers to her marrying either Victarion or Euron. I find the latter to be more realistic, however, because in ADWD Dany dreams that she marries a man with "blue lips", and when they have sex "his manhood was ice cold" -- which would work with the idea of him being a "corpse".

The blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice clearly suggests a romantic relationship between Daenerys and Jon, and it also foreshadows his parentage.

Jon seems far more likely to be the blue lipped ice cold lover.

Is nobody interested in 13? I seem to remember a thread claiming the tower is in Winterfell, and the beast is the ice dragon. Also, 13) reminds me of Euron somehow..

Could the tower be where Stannis's army was stuck at the end of ADWD? With the many sacrifices, Stannis intends to do (Theon and the Karstarks) we might see a dragon hatching in that area....

Wasn't Renly killed first, by Stannis' shadow?

I honestly cannot remember :dunno: then it was Balon instead of Renly.

Not really. Euron actually has blue lips from drinking shade of the evening, if I recall correctly.

Yes you do, I also think that the man with the blue lips is Euron Greyjoy, seems logical that she dreams about him when Victarion is on his way to supposedly take her for Euron.

The blue lips= Euron makes sense, but the corpse on the ship has "eyes", which is presumably one too many for Euron

Yes, but there are two different things. The corpse at the prow of a ship smiling sadlly is a vision of the House of the Undying, and i believe that refers to Victarion (i have the theory that Dany will fall in love with Victarion but then Euron will kill him and takes Dany for himself) and the other one is a dream she has. She dreams that she has sex with a man with blue and bruised lips and manhood (whats wrong with saying penis? :D ) cold as ice. Some people think it points to Jon being dead but I think it makes sense that the blue lips mean Euron and his little Euron being cold as ice could simply mean that he will be cold towards her since what he really wants from her is the dragons.

The "blue eyed king with a red sword who casts no shadow" could turn out to be Jon.

Casting no shadow because he's technically dead,and a blue eyed "king" of the Others.

He can wield a hot sword because he is the PTWP who's song is of Ice and Fire,the embodiment of the two.

This is foreshadowed by his own dream where he is armoured in ice and wielding a glowing red sword.Bit of a hint there..

So maybe Dany's dream of cold sex could come to pass!!!

The "blue eyed king with a red sword who casts no shadow" could turn out to be Jon.

I considered this the first time I read the Undying chapter. I thought that the lack of a shadow could be from the fact that the red sword is not real, so it doesn't cast real light.

However, Stannis actually has blue eyes and believes himself to be Azor Ahai come again. The lack of a shadow is a reference to him being weakened by the conception of the shadowbabies.

Archived