Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

I considered this the first time I read the Undying chapter. I thought that the lack of a shadow could be from the fact that the red sword is not real, so it doesn't cast real light.

However, Stannis actually has blue eyes and believes himself to be Azor Ahai come again. The lack of a shadow is a reference to him being weakened by the conception of the shadowbabies.

That's the prevailing theory,but I think it's a red herring.Melisandre believes Stannis is AA and has him half convinced of that.

But we know Mel gets things wrong and that when she asks the fires to show AA she doesn't see Stannis......

@The Sunset King

Thank you.

It certainly seems that GRRM wants us to associate Stannis with this prophecy. And casting no shadow can mean, seen in false light. Otoh Moqorro sees Tyrion as a small man with a giant shadow, what I read as Tyrion´s actions having great impact.

Does anyone else have the feeling GRRM muddled things up with the eye colour of the Baratheons. Blue seems very rare to people with coarse black hair ( ok it´s Westeros) and Renly´s eye colour seems to change from green to blue.

Well I remember reading something in SSM where he explains or excuses changing eye colour

That's the prevailing theory,but I think it's a red herring.Melisandre believes Stannis is AA and has him half convinced of that.

But we know Mel gets things wrong and that when she asks the fires to show AA she doesn't see Stannis......

Dany has to "slay the lie" of him being Azor Ahai reborn, which is why I think it's definitely Stannis.

Dany has to "slay the lie" of him being Azor Ahai reborn, which is why I think it's definitely Stannis.

I'm slightly befuddled here.Dany has to slay the lie of whom being AA?

If it's Stannis,then that backs my theory up.The vision could cover the false and the real AA I suppose.

I'm slightly befuddled here.Dany has to slay the lie of whom being AA?

If it's Stannis,then that backs my theory up.The vision could cover the false and the real AA I suppose.

"A blue eyed king with a red sword who cast no shadow ... mother of dragons ... slayer of lies"

This suggests that the person in this vision is somehow lying, and Daenerys must be the one to prove this lie. As Stannis has blue eyes and a red sword, it seems clear that this vision refers to him as a false Azor Ahai. It also implies that Dany's identity as the mother of dragons will be crucial in proving this as a lie, which may or may not be because she is in fact Azor Ahai come again ("Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it.")

I think or would like

#15 a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly and wasn't there gray lips?

It is Jon Connington, he took a ship to Westeros, his eyes are bright because he's not dead yet, he's sad because he knows he will be dead soon, and if the lips are gray it's from greyscale. This is important for Dany because, not only did he bring Aegon to Westeros, he also is bringing a greyscale plague with him that with cause an epidemic.

So anyway that is my crackpot of the day :D

I subscribe to your crackpot theory!

I also think it's Jon Connington because of the greyscale. He is quite a sad character as he still mourns Rhaegar; he travels by sea to Westeros; he is a dead man walking. It's tempting to shoehorn a Greyjoy into this prophecy but imho, none of them particularly fit except being mariners. They either have too many eyes or aren't particularly sad by nature.

I subscribe to your crackpot theory!

I also think it's Jon Connington because of the greyscale. He is quite a sad character as he still mourns Rhaegar; he travels by sea to Westeros; he is a dead man walking. It's tempting to shoehorn a Greyjoy into this prophecy but imho, none of them particularly fit except being mariners. They either have too many eyes or aren't particularly sad by nature.

I think the Greyjoys (Victarion especially) fit as good (or better) than Jon Con. The exact vision is as follows A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright on his dead face, gray lips smiling sadly.

"Gray lips smiling sadly" screams Grey Joy to me. The corpse part, well, the Iron Born are drowned and they consider themselves dead so what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger. The bright eyes, and not eye makes me think it's Vic instead of Euron, the bright part is the only one I could not tell though.

I think the Greyjoys (Victarion especially) fit as good (or better) than Jon Con.

We will agree to disagree then. I think that it's the Griff, also because the possibility of spreading greyscale to Westeros is a far more interesting plot (to me, anyway). Why would Dany need to know about Victarion?

We will agree to disagree then. I think that it's the Griff, also because the possibility of spreading greyscale to Westeros is a far more interesting plot (to me, anyway). Why would Dany need to know about Victarion?

Cause he has a horn that supposedly control dragons and her dragons are out of control :D also, apparently those three visions are connected to three men, people say husbands, I say men she will probably love, and Euron was the one who sent Victarion to get Dany for him but Vic wants to keep her for himself.

Not really. Euron actually has blue lips from drinking shade of the evening, if I recall correctly.

It depends on how metaphorical the dream was. If it was more metaphor than litteral than Jon could easily be her ice lover (perhaps more litterally too depending on how/who brings him back and whether he actually crosses over to dead even if just for an instant). Plus I don't think Dany will be as fond of the Greyjoys as some here seem to believe. They want to take her crown and rule in their own name using her as a pawn, and that is something she is never going to be okay with at this point.

I think the Greyjoys (Victarion especially) fit as good (or better) than Jon Con. The exact vision is as follows A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright on his dead face, gray lips smiling sadly.

The advent of greyscale as a central plot point in the series has really put a twist to this prophecy because while I agree the gray lips are suggestive of a Grejoy, I find them equally suggestive of someone suffering from greyscale.

The advent of greyscale as a central plot point in the series has really put a twist to this prophecy because while I agree the gray lips are suggestive of a Grejoy, I find them equally suggestive of someone suffering from greyscale.

Definitely, but I don't see Jon Con (the most "relevant" person we know of with greyscale) related to Dany's love life, well, she might look like Rhaegar and Jon would love that j/k :D

Cause he has a horn that supposedly control dragons and her dragons are out of control :D

Haha, that they are. And you have a great point there.

also, apparently those three visions are connected to three men, people say husbands, I say men she will probably love, and Euron was the one who sent Victarion to get Dany for him but Vic wants to keep her for himself.

I'm still going to hold out for Jon C because I'd rather see the plague plot rather than another crush-and-(literally)burn romance.

Definitely, but I don't see Jon Con (the most "relevant" person we know of with greyscale) related to Dany's love life, well, she might look like Rhaegar and Jon would love that j/k :D

Truthfully, I'm not fond of the Jon Connington idea either, which is why I brought up the possibility of Hizdahr zo Loraq contracting greyscale, and dying, thereby tying the prophecy back to mounts = husbands.

As it is, I'm not confident about any one view at the moment -- I still find the Greyjoy suggestion very much in play -- although, I do have to say: If it does turn out that the prophecy refers to Hizdahr, that would make the rest of Daenerys' story, at least where it concerns her love life, very predictable.

I mean, can we all agree that if Hizdahr is the Harpy and ends up with greyscale, Daenerys will end up marrying Jon Snow and that's that?

Archived