Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

Could Viserys be the betrayal for gold? I know it'd make the visions out of time sequence but he did want that golden crown....

Dany keeps being wary of looking out for more betrayals probably to the point where her being paranoid will cause her to fulfill the other prophecies but i digress....we keep hearing her thinking about where the next betrayal will come and she has already had:

Viserys-GOLD (brother) tried to take her dragon eggs and would have betrayed her but Jorah stopped him (plus I am not sure you could count how he acted at the feast when he got his golden crown-

Blood- Drogo/Mirri Maz/ Rhago

Love- Jorah

she has known many betrayals, but it seems the min. reqs have been met, haven't they?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else already mentioned it here, but IIRC, at one point Melisandre says her flames show "things that were, are and might be", something like that. I take that as meaning that prophecies show potential events of great importance that may manifest and "hatch" or not. Like Dany seeing Rhaego in the House of the Undying: had he lived, he would be the Stallion that Mounts the World, but he died in Dany's womb. Since his death was likely due to MMD sorcery, maybe magic can break prophecies.

By this logic, and if we add that "prophecy is a treacherous woman" idea, Jon could be TPTWP and still die (for good, not to be reborn or whatever).

Not sure if anyone else already mentioned it here, but IIRC, at one point Melisandre says her flames show "things that were, are and might be", something like that. I take that as meaning that prophecies show potential events of great importance that may manifest and "hatch" or not. Like Dany seeing Rhaego in the House of the Undying: had he lived, he would be the Stallion that Mounts the World, but he died in Dany's womb. Since his death was likely due to MMD sorcery, maybe magic can break prophecies.

By this logic, and if we add that "prophecy is a treacherous woman" idea, Jon could be TPTWP and still die (for good, not to be reborn or whatever).

Rhaego's death was from the MMD sorcery. Jorah took her into the tent while she was performing her magic on Khal. You know the rest. She also saw Rhaegar and Elia too. Things that already happened.

Of course we never saw Rhaego's body.

(THIS SHOULD BE FUN)

Four rat faced servants raping a beautiful woman. The four kings (Renly,Stannis,Robb,Balon the war of the five kings or Aerys II,Aerys I ,Aegon IV,Baelor I weak Targeryen kings .Or Pycelle , Varys , Renly ,Baelish ,or Tywin they were servants of the realm and their machinations destroyed it .

The feast of corpses, They Red Wedding or Dany must do to win the north avenge the Red Wedding .

Memory of security

Her father Aerys preparing to destroy King's Landing .

DAUGHTER OF DEATH

Rhaegar ,Elia and Aegon.

Viserys' death

The son Daenerys dreamed of having

Rhaegar's death

SLAYER OF LIES

Blue eyed king with a red sword that doesn't cast a shadow .Stannis

A cloth dragon amidst cheering crowds .Aegon .Or what is the lie that the realm is waiting for the return of the Targaryens or that the Targaryens will never return.

A beast rising from a smoking tower breathing shadow fire. Griff attacking with Golden Company .Shadow fire/Black fire. The maesters and the High Septon from Old Town .The maester conspiracy and the Faith Militant all controlled by Leyton Hightower.

BRIDE OF FIRE

DROGO

A corpse standing at the prow of a ship eyes bright in his face ,sadly smiling. Victarion Greyjoy .Or a Victarion zombie .Daenerys needs his ships .

A blue flower growing from a wall of ice .The child she going to have with Jon.

Can we take a look at how she gets to each room for a second? When she sees the beautiful woman/dwarf rat men, the wolf-headed king and ser Willem, she isn't actually in the rooms. She is in a long hallway, these visions she sees ae because she looks to her left and some of the doors are open; symbolically representing that they are happening far away or maybe the fact that she's distancing herself from the memory maybe in the case of the last one.

When she next enters a room, it's through bronze doors and she witnesses Aerys and his awesome king of ashes line and Rhaegar naming Aegon and what I think is the first quote in the series of "a song of ice and fire" which of course is really important, the whole series is named after it. I think the fact that a bronze door is used here is interesting. What is the meaning behind it? It wouldn't have been mentioned in a scene like this for no reason. Is it just a representation of grandness? I associate bronze with the Kings of Winter much more than I do with Targs, with the crown and stuff.

It all fades to mist and she goes down stone stairs, all the torches go out and something is shuffling towards her (a Wight?) and because there are no doors on the right, she realises that she has to turn around because the first door on the right is the last door on the left. This is eerily reminiscent of the whole to go forward you mudt turn back foretelling. A recurring prophecy, perhaps?

Dany runs for a while, creepy magician dude tries to trick her in a stone chamber, doesn't fall for that sh*t, goes up some stairs and enters the alive undying of Quarth croom through ebony and weirwood doors - a lot like the house of black and white. Representative of them wearing false faces, or something else?

Then she goes through a grey splitery pine door to blue heart room of major creep factor. If there is reference there, I've missed it. Anywhere else with that door? Is it more that fact that it's splintery than anything else, then why mention pine? This is not the kind of scene you waste words in. George must have looked at it half a thousand times, so why mention this?

Then we get a whole heap of blue from weird floating hearts to eyes to nipples (because why not?) and the fact the Undying Ones are dead (see what life is worth when all else is gone) and then we start getting to the good part.

"I have come for the gift of truth," Dany said. "In the long hall, the things I saw... were they true visions, or lies? Past things, or things to come? What did they mean?"

...the shape of shadows...morrows not yet made...drink from the cup of ice...drink from the cup of fire...

...mother of dragons...child of three...

"Three?" She did not understand.

Cups of ice and fire...what?... Metaphorical, literal? Yet to come?

The shape of shadows line is interesting. We see shadows referenced a lot over ASOIAF and this could really support the theory that the first vision of the dwarves sexing up the woman are the kings fighting over Westeros as shadows show what you are as opposed to who you are or however you want to put it. Here, Westeros is referenced as a beautiful lady and the kings are insignificant dwarves ravaging at her while she doesn't even pay attention, and maybe a sly reference that they are violating their 'guest rights' to Westeros by their ratty faces. Alternatively a real dwarf we see, Tyrion, is seen to have a shadow as tall as a king quite early in GoT.

Mother of dragons, pretty obvious. Morrows not yet made, yet again, obvious.

CHILD OF THREE. At it's most basic meaning it means that Dany has two siblings, that she is a child of three. Except she doesn't. Is there someone she isn't aware of born to both her and big bro V's parents, or has V lied about which branch of the Targs she comes from to strengthen his claim? Of course it could tie in to the whole child of storm, daughter of death, there must be one more, three heads of the dragon but that's a little too much mixing and matching for my taste.

I really like some of the theories I've seen people put on this thread about the next part. I definitely agree with what was said about the format, how each set of three visions matched with the three prophecies she was given (fires, mounts and treasons) and whoever pointed out that the first set she saw and how they were all Targ princes (and that their deaths possibly fueled the birth of the dragon eggs)? You are a legend that deserves to be knighted. Truly.

I like the idea that the mounts to ride don't just simply represent husbands, though it may lead back to that, but to actual mounts. (She rides silver to her marriage bed, Drogon the Dread to dread, etc.) Also the "to love" bit instead of "for love" in the fire prophecy is definitely suspicious.

I don't really know what to make of the last part of the scene. At all. Of course, some of the stuff there has already happened and the white lion scene may be the one that Dany wore as skin or might be more metaphorical (though now lookng at it in context with the other visions in this part I doubt) and the crone part I'm guessing is them accepting Dany as TSTMTW (or as the rider of the dragon who Rhaego paid his life for. Or who Drogo paid for that Rhaego paid for but technically overall Dany paid for. Let's not get into that).

Lollys? Don't think so but some of the Prophecies can be seen two ways I guess.

I thought of Cersei when I read that scene for the first time. Don't know why but I did. It being the Seven Kingdoms makes sense too but could be both because Cersei sees herself as the Ruler and she sexed up Lance and the Kettleblacks.

Lance and the Kettleblacks sounds like an 80's band name.

And, to stay on topic, I don't think the blue rose has to be a reference to Jon, it might just be a dream of spring.

The betrayal for gold could be a reference to Lannisters, it could even, as she thinks, refer to Jorah's betrayal for his lands back.

Lance and the Kettleblacks sounds like an 80's band name.

And, to stay on topic, I don't think the blue rose has to be a reference to Jon, it might just be a dream of spring.

The betrayal for gold could be a reference to Lannisters, it could even, as she thinks, refer to Jorah's betrayal for his lands back.

Now the Blood part: There is so many meanings to it.

Just a thought but has anyone thought that the betrayal of blood will be (f)Argon?

When she is in the house of the undying she is told her FUTURE. She assumes MMD is the blood because it was done for revenge. But that betrayal was on the edge of the Red Waste. It is in her past.

Taking this into account

Blood: this will be (f)Aegon claiming to be a blood relative.

Love: Illerio. She may love him non romanticly because he protected them as children. He betrays her because he loves (f)Argon like a son. He did protect (f)Aegon better than her or vycerise.

Gold: the Golden Company and other merc armies. I think that the GC thinks they're following a blackfire. They know Deny is full blood targ. Once (f)Aegon is outed they back him

When she is in the house of the undying she is told her FUTURE. She assumes MMD is the blood because it was done for revenge. But that betrayal was on the edge of the Red Waste. It is in her past.

But Pyat Pree tells her specifically at the start that not everything she will see will be in the future, some visions will be "sights of days gone by". Are you saying that the first few random visions are only in the future, or the specific fire/mounts/treasons ones at the end?

But Pyat Pree tells her specifically at the start that not everything she will see will be in the future, some visions will be "sights of days gone by". Are you saying that the first few random visions are only in the future, or the specific fire/mounts/treasons ones at the end?

The treasons are in the future. She saw things from past and present while wandering the halls. But the three treasons is directly related to her not observed.

I think there is a direct connection between the 3 prophecies whispered to her and the 9 visions followed them.

The Undying whispered 3 prophecies to Dany:

Prophecy 1: three fires must you light... one for life (Fire 1) and one for death (Fire 2) and one to love (Fire 3)

Prophecy 2: three mounts must you ride... one to bed (Mount 1) and one to dread (Mount 2) and one to love (Mount 3)

Prophecy 3: three treasons will you know... once for blood (Treason 1) and once for gold (Treason 2) and once for love (Treason 3)

After hearing these prophecies, Dany stated that she did not understand them and then, the Undying showed her these visions to tell her what they mean by these prophecies:

Fire 1: (for life) Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth.

Fire 2: (for death) A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him.

Fire 3: (to love) Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman’s name.

... mother of dragons, daughter of death

Mount 1: (to bed) Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow.

Mount 2: (to dread) A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd.

Mount 3: (to love) From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

... mother of dragons, slayer of lies

Treason 1: (for blood) Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars.

Treason 2: (for gold) A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

Treason 3: (for love) A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

... mother of dragons, bride of fire

Archived