Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

Can we take a look at how she gets to each room for a second? When she sees the beautiful woman/dwarf rat men, the wolf-headed king and ser Willem, she isn't actually in the rooms. She is in a long hallway, these visions she sees ae because she looks to her left and some of the doors are open; symbolically representing that they are happening far away or maybe the fact that she's distancing herself from the memory maybe in the case of the last one.

When she next enters a room, it's through bronze doors and she witnesses Aerys and his awesome king of ashes line and Rhaegar naming Aegon and what I think is the first quote in the series of "a song of ice and fire" which of course is really important, the whole series is named after it. I think the fact that a bronze door is used here is interesting. What is the meaning behind it? It wouldn't have been mentioned in a scene like this for no reason. Is it just a representation of grandness? I associate bronze with the Kings of Winter much more than I do with Targs, with the crown and stuff.

It all fades to mist and she goes down stone stairs, all the torches go out and something is shuffling towards her (a Wight?) and because there are no doors on the right, she realises that she has to turn around because the first door on the right is the last door on the left. This is eerily reminiscent of the whole to go forward you mudt turn back foretelling. A recurring prophecy, perhaps?

Dany runs for a while, creepy magician dude tries to trick her in a stone chamber, doesn't fall for that sh*t, goes up some stairs and enters the alive undying of Quarth croom through ebony and weirwood doors - a lot like the house of black and white. Representative of them wearing false faces, or something else?

Then she goes through a grey splitery pine door to blue heart room of major creep factor. If there is reference there, I've missed it. Anywhere else with that door? Is it more that fact that it's splintery than anything else, then why mention pine? This is not the kind of scene you waste words in. George must have looked at it half a thousand times, so why mention this?

Then we get a whole heap of blue from weird floating hearts to eyes to nipples (because why not?) and the fact the Undying Ones are dead (see what life is worth when all else is gone) and then we start getting to the good part.

"I have come for the gift of truth," Dany said. "In the long hall, the things I saw... were they true visions, or lies? Past things, or things to come? What did they mean?"

...the shape of shadows...morrows not yet made...drink from the cup of ice...drink from the cup of fire...

...mother of dragons...child of three...

"Three?" She did not understand.

Cups of ice and fire...what?... Metaphorical, literal? Yet to come?

The shape of shadows line is interesting. We see shadows referenced a lot over ASOIAF and this could really support the theory that the first vision of the dwarves sexing up the woman are the kings fighting over Westeros as shadows show what you are as opposed to who you are or however you want to put it. Here, Westeros is referenced as a beautiful lady and the kings are insignificant dwarves ravaging at her while she doesn't even pay attention, and maybe a sly reference that they are violating their 'guest rights' to Westeros by their ratty faces. Alternatively a real dwarf we see, Tyrion, is seen to have a shadow as tall as a king quite early in GoT.

Mother of dragons, pretty obvious. Morrows not yet made, yet again, obvious.

CHILD OF THREE. At it's most basic meaning it means that Dany has two siblings, that she is a child of three. Except she doesn't. Is there someone she isn't aware of born to both her and big bro V's parents, or has V lied about which branch of the Targs she comes from to strengthen his claim? Of course it could tie in to the whole child of storm, daughter of death, there must be one more, three heads of the dragon but that's a little too much mixing and matching for my taste.

I really like some of the theories I've seen people put on this thread about the next part. I definitely agree with what was said about the format, how each set of three visions matched with the three prophecies she was given (fires, mounts and treasons) and whoever pointed out that the first set she saw and how they were all Targ princes (and that their deaths possibly fueled the birth of the dragon eggs)? You are a legend that deserves to be knighted. Truly.

I like the idea that the mounts to ride don't just simply represent husbands, though it may lead back to that, but to actual mounts. (She rides silver to her marriage bed, Drogon the Dread to dread, etc.) Also the "to love" bit instead of "for love" in the fire prophecy is definitely suspicious.

I don't really know what to make of the last part of the scene. At all. Of course, some of the stuff there has already happened and the white lion scene may be the one that Dany wore as skin or might be more metaphorical (though now lookng at it in context with the other visions in this part I doubt) and the crone part I'm guessing is them accepting Dany as TSTMTW (or as the rider of the dragon who Rhaego paid his life for. Or who Drogo paid for that Rhaego paid for but technically overall Dany paid for. Let's not get into that).

The number three is echoed throughout the House of the Undying Ones chapter. By my reckoning, she even turns at least 360 degrees three times while moving through the preternatural house. The first vision Daenerys sees in the House of the Undying Ones, of the beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor, is a foreshadowing for the reader of what is to come in the House of the Undying chapter and a clue as to what is really happening. The Undying are trying to trap Daenerys so that they can draw upon her power.

Blue lips speak only lies, isnt that what Xaro told you? Why do you care what the warlocks whispered? All they wanted was to suck the life from you, you know that now.

Jorah to Daenerys, Daenerys V, Clash

They set before her three visions to lure her in: 1) the Red Wedding, a vision of war-torn Westeros seeking a just ruler; 2) her childhood room, the lemon tree, and Willem Darry, a vision of her peaceful early childhood (even if there is something rotten about that lemon tree in Braavos); and 3) and Pyat Pree, a vision of a guide willing to show her the way.

In addition to 1) the first vision of the beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor, Daenerys glimpses two other visions that are not designed to trap her but seem more designed by The George to develop our understanding of what is going on in the story: 2) a vision of Aeryss plan to burn Kings Landing; and 3) a vision of Rhaegar wrestling with the prince-that-was-promised prophecy.

Daenerys finally comes upon the Undying and we get three fires, three mounts, and three treasons, the last of each for love. Thats nine fires, mounts, and treasons. After Daenerys asks for help to understand these nine fires, mounts, and loves, she sees nine more visions grouped into three sets of three. It seems likely that the nine fires, mounts, and treasons could relate to the nine visions that follow her plea for help in understanding.

Daenerys sees six more visions in the House of the Undying Ones And then she succumbs to one last vision

Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. Mother! they cried. Mother, mother! They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them . . .

before Drogon comes to her rescue just like what happens in Meereen

Guys, Euron has two eyes. The patch is used for the same reason pirates used them. To keep one eye adjusted to the dark so you aren't blind when you enter the cabin.

I'm thinking of Jon Connington, but I might be wrong.

A part of me wants her to shag Jorah just to get him out of the friend zone of their relationship.

Oups. Not a bad thought. Was he not riding it in the preview chapter?

I believe he was riding it, and his second preview chapter ends as he realizes that the Greyjoy fleet are "on his side" so to speak. There may be some sudden change of events (i.e. the second sons attack Barry or the Greyjoys continue to attack even after the Yunkai'i have been crushed/flee.

I'm not entirely sure, just some conjecture.

Edit: Typos

I know there have been a couple threads now, but none had the methodical focus I've been looking for. I was wondering what thoughts people had on some of the more vague visions.

Taken from the Chapter Summary for CoK 48.

I'm curious about the rat faced men, perhaps a reference to Gregor Clegane's men?

The cloth dragon, I take to mean that the now living Aegon may indeed be a false dragon, as Stannis, the other 'false dragon' is not one to be cheered.

The blue flower in the Wall of Ice seems to be another arrow at Jon Snow being a Targ.

I was thinking the same thing too. Blue rose is flower in Winterfell. Who used to live in Winterfell before he joined the wall. Jon Snow did.

I'm pretty sure the white lion is the one Drogo killed in the Dothraki sea. That would fit in to being something from the past. I think some of these visions are there to distract from the important ones

My two coppers...

Daenerys sees six final visions in the House of the Undying Ones before the penultimate vision of the slaves crying, Mother!

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. [1] Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. [2] A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. [3] Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. [4] Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. [5] A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. [6] Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed.

Daenerys IV, Clash

The last six visions before the final one to which she succumbs represent 1) Trying to save Drogo upon whom she was nearly totally dependent; 2) her longing for the sheltered days of her early childhood; 3) her dragons hatching; 4) the punishment exacted on the man sent by the usurper to kill her and her unborn son, the action that convinced Drogo to begin preparations for an invasion of the Seven Kingdoms; 5) a prized beast presumably being stalked by Dothraki; and 6) the wise women of the Dothraki paying her homage.

The first two of these six show her dependent on others. The next two show her dragons hatching and her acting the way the blood of dragon would be expected to act. The last two show what appears to be happening at the end of Dance, where Jhaqo finds her in the Dothraki Sea, and perhaps what will happen in Winds, Daenerys, the mother of dragons, and Drogon uniting the khalasars to mount the world.

The last two show what appears to be happening at the end of Dance, where Jhaqo finds her in the Dothraki Sea, and perhaps what will happen in Winds, Daenerys, the mother of dragons, and Drogon uniting the khalasars to mount the world.

The last one (6) for certain has not happened yet, while presumably the first 4 have. So the 5th is up for interpretation, With GRRM when is a lion just a lion? Perhaps the "White" means Tyrion has developed greyscale or just he is no longer a "golden" lion like the other Lannisters.

I was waiting to read this chapter and develop an interpretation for it - bear in mind it's my first ime reading the books, though I know the show and a lot of the theories surrounding the backstory and prophecy quite well.

15) "A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly."

My immediate thought was that the corpse is Arya - don't forget that some see her as a boy.

three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . .

three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . .

three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love .

My immediate thought here is that, although I don't like the idea, it seems to be implying Jon will be Dany's love and she is his Nyssa Nyssa.

3rd fire is her setting a sword on fire with love, Jon is the 3rd mount and getting stabbed in the heart will be the treason for love.

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

This is probably not an organic beast. I took it as some kind of launched projectile from a tower under siege - shadow fire could be wildfire. It could just be Tyrion's defence of King's Landing.

Overall, I thought the chapter also implied that Stannis would be King and Dany would kill him. The 3 heads of the dragon were Dany, Jon and Stannis and Tyrion was the white Lion. I didn't think the beautiful woman being raped by 4 midgets was anything more than Martin being perverted.

Sometimes, I think an instinctual and immediate thought can see more than when something get's over analysed and the wood can no longer be seen through the trees.

The last one (6) for certain has not happened yet, while presumably the first 4 have. So the 5th is up for interpretation, With GRRM when is a lion just a lion? Perhaps the "White" means Tyrion has developed greyscale or just he is no longer a "golden" lion like the other Lannisters.

The color white could very well allude to Tyrion and foreshadow that he would be running to her. The lion obviously symbolizing his house and tall grass emphasizing his physical stature. We should know more about the likely color connection in Winds.

I am a fan of the RLJ, but maybe the vision Dany saw of the rose in the ice was just a reference to Lyanna...as in if Rhaeghar hadn't kidnapped her, then Lord Rickard and Brandon wouldn't have died and Aerys wouldn't have wanted the heads of Robert and Ned and Robert wouldn't have rose in rebellion.

Also, Pyat Pree says of the things Dany will see in the HotU

"Sights and sounds of days gone by and days to come and days that never were. Some may visions may have been things that would have been IF something had happened differently.

Archived