Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

15) "A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly."

Interpreting grey lips smiling sadly as Greyjoy is taking the literal literaly. The rest certainly fits for Victarion. Than the Kraken would be Euron.

I think that these visions can point to multiple events in the story. For example I don´t believe that the vision of the Ghost of High Heart of Sansa in the castle of snow slaying a giant is allready fullfilled. I think there will be a more importand incident that will match a more metaphorical reading.

I believe the order of the visions in the House of the Undying has more to do with dramatic effect and sound of wording than a connection in time or otherwise. The warnig of Qaithe certenly doesn´t seem to come true in the order they´re given.

Does this make anybody else wonder if dragons can get greyscale?

I think this prophecy is related to Dragonstone's sculptures somehow coming to life. Still, greyscale is a fab idea of how they might have ended up this way!

It depends on how metaphorical the dream was. If it was more metaphor than litteral than Jon could easily be her ice lover (perhaps more litterally too depending on how/who brings him back and whether he actually crosses over to dead even if just for an instant). Plus I don't think Dany will be as fond of the Greyjoys as some here seem to believe. They want to take her crown and rule in their own name using her as a pawn, and that is something she is never going to be okay with at this point.

I don't think Dany will fall in love with Euron (or Victarion), but I think she'll be sort of forced to marry one of them. I really hope this doesn't happen, though.

My belief is that the three visions: Drogo, Euron/Victarion, and Jon are the three people that will be significant in her destiny. Drogo led to her birthing the dragons, Euron/Victarion will lead to her getting to Westeros, and Jon will lead to her fighting against the Others.

I think the corpse could be Victarion as well, we need to remember Moqorro. Moqorro said to Victarion

Every night in my fires I glimpse the glory that awaits you.

Who knows what this glory is? This reminds me of the girls he burned as sacrifices, before that he told them of the honor that awaits them.

Drogo, the corpse on the ship and Jon are part of the "Bride of Fire" prophecy. People seem to only be seeing the "Bride" part, but to me it's about "Fire". I don't think she necessarily marries these people, or even loves them. I think she just burns 'em. Look at the previous prophecy in that section, "daughter of death". Dany was not the daughter of Viserys, Rhaegar or Rhaego. "Fire" is a more important word than "Bride".

If the corpse on the ship is therefore JonCon, or just greyscale in general, it fits. Dany burns those who have it in order to eradicate the disease? Or perhaps Dany burns JonCon for trying to install a fake Targaryen pretender.

The three visions are almost certainly, to me, linked to the previous prophecy "three fires must you light, one for life and one for death and one to love".

For life is her first "Bride of Fire", Drogo, as she awakens the dragons. "For death" fits nicely with killing greyscale, or could even just be to kill an enemy. Works if it's Euron/Victarion too. "One to love" is interesting wording, no idea how it will connect to Jon. Notice that it's not "for love". My crackpot theory is that it could somehow be to do with her and Jon having a child together.

Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed.

This one is interesting. All the other visions in this section have come true, which implies this one will also come true. I think in TWoW, the Dothraki crones will all submit to Dany and declare her (or perhaps Drogon) the Stallion That Mounts The World. This also fits nicely with "to go west you must go east".

Drogo, the corpse on the ship and Jon are part of the "Bride of Fire" prophecy. People seem to only be seeing the "Bride" part, but to me it's about "Fire". I don't think she necessarily marries these people, or even loves them. I think she just burns 'em. Look at the previous prophecy in that section, "daughter of death". Dany was not the daughter of Viserys, Rhaegar or Rhaego. "Fire" is a more important word than "Bride".

This is why I think the "Bride of fire" line refers to men who help bring about her destiny as the prince who was promised. Mel calls Stannis, who she believes to be Azor Ahai reborn, the "warrior of fire". Maybe it's just me, but I definitely see a link between the two titles.

This one is interesting. All the other visions in this section have come true, which implies this one will also come true. I think in TWoW, the Dothraki crones will all submit to Dany and declare her (or perhaps Drogon) the Stallion That Mounts The World. This also fits nicely with "to go west you must go east".

I definitely think that the crones will declare her the Stallion That Mounts the World, which would obviously pave the way for a less patriarchal Dothraki culture.

If the corpse on the ship is therefore JonCon, or just greyscale in general, it fits. Dany burns those who have it in order to eradicate the disease? Or perhaps Dany burns JonCon for trying to install a fake Targaryen pretender.

The three visions are almost certainly, to me, linked to the previous prophecy "three fires must you light, one for life and one for death and one to love".

For life is her first "Bride of Fire", Drogo, as she awakens the dragons. "For death" fits nicely with killing greyscale, or could even just be to kill an enemy. Works if it's Euron/Victarion too. "One to love" is interesting wording, no idea how it will connect to Jon. Notice that it's not "for love". My crackpot theory is that it could somehow be to do with her and Jon having a child together.

These are extremely good points. The "bride of fire" thing already manifested itself to some degree with Drogo; the results may be similar for others as well regardless of what kind of connection Daenerys has with them. The "daughter of death" reinforces this notion and the three fires, treasons, and mounts do appear connected to the images.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of the four rats/kings idea, but I want to postulate another primer. The raped woman is Cerci. Here is the quote from CoK,

"In one room, a beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor, while four little men crawled over her. They had rattish pointed faces and tiny pink hands, like the servitor who brought her the glass of shade. One was pumping between her thighs. Another savaged her breasts, worrying at the nipples with his wet red mouth, tearing and chewing."

Here is my thought with this one. Cerci and Jamie have three children. Each one will end up dead (according to Cerci's prophecy "gold shall be their crown and gold shall be their shrouds.") at someone elses hand. Ultimately the "Valonqar" will kill her, which could be Jamie. (pumping away between her thighs.)

Also I would agree that there are sets broken into threes. The first trio goes,

"Three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one for love..."

The second trio is

"Three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love..."

The third trio is

"three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love..."

I'm not convinced that Dany has known all the treasons by the end of ADWD. I'm not sure about the treason for love. There is "love" at the end of each trio. This could point to one person (I've heard suggested Jon, though I'm not convinced about that yet.) This is a very important piece to the prophecy discussed at the beginning of the thread. I think it adds another dimention to the 22 points, which are divisible by three.

Another piece is each "Mother of Dragons" is followed by another name, "Child of three" "Child of storm" "daughter of death" "Slayer of lies" "bride of fire"

I'm sure there is more to this than what is writen about in this thread. Trying to pound a square peg into a round hole doesn't work. Let it slip in of it's own accord.

So, I was curious what all of the different theories were, so I collected them here. Sort of a summary of the past five pages.

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman;

Common theory is that the four men are the kings raping Westeros. Renly was already dead and Balon wasn't king yet, thus four and not five.

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;

The Red Wedding

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos;

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";

Aerys.

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

Possible reference to needing a third child (Jon). Man is almost certainly Rhaegar with his wife Elia.

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden;

Doubt this one has any deeper meaning.

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

8) Viserys dying;

A few of these indicate past events. This is one of them.

9) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son);

Yes, probably.

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;

Rhaegar (whispering "Lyanna").

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow;

Stannis, false Azor Ahai. The "shadows" it doesn't cast seems to be a reference to R'hllor's strength. Again, more Stannis reference.

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;

Young Griff, the "cloth" (i.e. fake) dragon and the followers he's apparently going to gain in TWOW.

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

Many people think of Euron waking the dragons on Dragonstone. Also might be Winterfell burning. May be a reference to future events that will take place in Oldtown. Might be tower Stannis attacks at the end of ADWD. One suggestion says the beast isn't a dragon, but is greyscale.

14) her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding;

Drogo - suggests that the next two may refer to other husbands (Euron and Jon).

15) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly;

Variety of theories. Maybe Maester Aemon and his death on the ship. Ships indicate Greyjoys (as do the grey lips), so one theory suggests this could be Victarion. Likewise, could be Euron. May also be Jon Connington, who came across the sea with the greyscale. Yet another person suggested that this follows the husband pattern, but with Hizdahr and not Euron/Victarion. May even be a reference to Jon (blue lips and bright eyes...but let's not dwell on Jon being a whitewalker).

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

Blue flower (Lyanna) on the Wall (Jon) - more reference to R+L=J. Possibly a reference to a future relationship with Jon and Dany.

17) shadows dancing in a tent;[1]

Might be Renly's death. Also bears a striking resemblance to Rhaego's death at Mirri's hands.

18) a little girl running toward a house with a red door;[2]

Probably a part of Dany clinging to her youth and innocence a la Citizen Kane.

19) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;

Very vague, can't imagine what this could possibly be referring to...

20) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse;

Likely refers to the trail of destruction Dany seems adept at creating.

21) a white lion running through grass taller than a man;

The white lion Drogo killed for Dany. Lions in the series refer to Lannisters, so maybe Tyrion (for the height) or Jaime (white cloak).

22) a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains;

The dosh khaleen kneeling before Dany (potentially through the new Dothraki plot opened at the end of ADwD).

23) ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rode by on her silver.[3]

Probably one of the few prophecies on this list that comes true literally.

The dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf is Robb, yes?

The rumours went round that the Freys attatched Grey Wind's head to his body.

The iron crown, I presume symbolises that in the eyes of the gods, Robb was no true king.

And the leg of lamb? Hm... No idea.

The mount to dread was Hizdahr, the King of Meereen, she dreaded her marriage to him and making him her king.

I dont know if anyone else thought this, but my idea was that the mount to dread would be drogon, as he is often compared to and said to be Balerion come again, who was also known as the black dread. I always thought this has some significance because otherwise drogon would be another colour. Another meaning could be drogon takes Dany to a place of dread/something dreadful happens after their flight.

If you take the theory that the three prophecy things are linked together

three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . .

. . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . .

. . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love .

I would guess that drogons fire causes the death of someone, as ordered by Dany, and the treason would be something to do with the dragons as well, like selling them (im a bit skeptical that it was Mormont, because he betrayed her for a pardon, not gold)

• 1 month later...

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

Blue flower (Lyanna) on the Wall (Jon) - more reference to R+L=J. Possibly a reference to a future relationship with Jon and Dany.

I'm going to go ahead and challenge the widespread assumption that this vision refers to Jon. Could it be him? Absolutely. Is it a fait accompli that it's Jon? I don't think we should assume that.

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . mother of dragons, bride of fire

Most assume the "blue flower" is a winter rose. But if Dany did in fact see a winter rose growing out of a chink in a wall of ice, the image conjured is not necessarily Lyanna Stark via Jon Snow, because the question becomes: is the wall in Dany's vision literally made of ice, or is it simply covered in ice? If it's the former, Jon seems the most likely candidate, but if it's the latter, plenty of other possibilities pop up, because winter has come to Westeros. It's snowing in King's Landing, so it's probably snowing even in the Reach. Ice has begun covering the walls of the great fortresses of Westeros. If/when Dany finally gets to Westeros, winter will be in full swing even in the south.

So . . . is there some place that's heavily associated with flowers---someplace we've never been shown----that, given the iconography of the family that now owns it, could perhaps be associated with roses growing on, and from, the walls? A sort of "High Garden", perhaps? That's held by a family whose motto evokes images of "growing" ("Growing Strong") and whose particular sigil, while ordinarily a golden rose, when coupled with winter imagery (especially imagery involving a castle wall covered in ice), could perhaps be represented in a vision as a blue rose? Some family that has been set up to side against Aegon, a family which was a staunch supporter of Dany's father, and has an unmarried eldest son (who, by the way, is said to love horses?)

Each part of this trifecta seems to represent a "force" that was given, or seemingly will be given, to Dany. Drogo gave Dany her silver, a representation of the Dothraki forces he intended to use to give her Westeros. Victarion Greyjoy is attempting to give Dany the naval support of the Ironborn, represented by a ship with a corpse on it (what is dead can never die, but rises, stronger and harder). So whose support, in winter, could properly be represented by a winter rose growing out of a chink in an ice-covered wall? Not the Starks or the North---they're wolves, not flowers. (Rhaegar gave a crown of winter roses to Lyanna Stark; Bael the Bard "gave" a single winter rose to Brandon the Daughterless when he kidnapped his daughter. Notice how every time there's been a transfer of blue roses vis a vis a Stark, that Stark's always been on the receiving end, not on the end actually giving the rose.)

But if Dany goes to Westeros, in winter, and hooks up with the Tyrells, then perhaps it's relevant that the soldiers of the Reach are referred to as "roses" in the same way soldiers of the Westerlands are called "lions" and soldiers of the North are called "wolves". So a blue rose, a winter rose, growing out of a chink in a wall that's covered in ice, could logically represent Dany marrying into, and gaining the military support of, House Tyrell of HIghgarden in the middle of a terrible winter.

Regarding the Dragon rising from a smoking tower, We have a battle that has supposedly taken place on Dragonstone with a missing but supposedly almost dead Loras Tyrell. What if the battle at Dragonstone involved some huge fire and a Dragon was hatched, activated etc..

Archived