Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

What does a mount to dread mean? English is not my first language so I need some help.

Does it mean it's a husband she'll dread, or is it a husband she'll need to make people dread her?

I think it's implied that it's a mount for her to dread, but these prophecies are deliberately vague in their wording, so you can interpret it a bunch of ways.

What does a mount to dread mean? English is not my first language so I need some help.

Does it mean it's a husband she'll dread, or is it a husband she'll need to make people dread her?

I'd say it's implied it's the first (husband to dread) but it could of course mean any number of things.

We've no idea at this point -- only speculation.

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman; -War of Renly/Stannis/Joffrey/Rob on Westeros or the Queen's men rapping Val.

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter; -The Red Wedding or the Defeat of Bolton at Winterfell

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos; -Daenerys memories of living in Braavos or How the faceless recruited Daenerys in Braavos.

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes"; - Aerys planning the burning of KL or how Aegon will try to stop the Night King with wildfire.

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play; - Rhaegar talking about the prophecy or Aerys talking about the bedding of Johanna Lannister.

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden; - Daenerys visit to HotU or Daenerys talking with the Archmaester-Maegi.

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery. - Daenerys talking to the Undying or Daenerys meeting Quaithe&co. in Asshai.

8) Viserys dying; - Dead of Viserys or the dead of Viserion.

9) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son); - Rahego or Her son by Stannis.

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath; - dead of Rhaelgar or Dead of Aegon.

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow; - Stannis or the Night King.

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd; - Crowd cheering Aegon or Daenerys arriving in KL.

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire; - StoneDragon awakening or the obstacle to travellers in the Demon road.

14) her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding; - Drogo's gift to Daenerys or Khal Pono alliance with Daenerys

15) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly; - Euron Greyjoy or Jon Connington

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice; - Jon Snow, son of Lyanna and Rhaegar or Jon Snow colapses the Wall.

17) shadows dancing in a tent;[1] - Dead of Renly or how shadows killed drogo in his tent

18) a little girl running toward a house with a red door;[2] - Daenerys in Braavos or Arya going to the Faceless temple.

19) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her; Mirri death or Melisandre creating a shadowdragon by burning Selyse/Shireen

20) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse; - Pale mare/Blood flux or Khal Pono sacking Yunkai.

21) a white lion running through grass taller than a man; the gift of Drogo to Daenerys or Tyrion.

22) a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains; - the khalessi of VD acclaiming Daenerys or undead rising from a lake to capture Daenerys for the Night king

23) ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rode by on her silver.[3] - Daenerys and Breaker of chains or the plague that devastates Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen.

The visions are from past, present and future events, some are simbolic while others are literal, so there's not a one unified logic to the whole of them. Besides, why doubt everything about other characters but thrust visions of the Undying or Quaithe?

I will seriously get sick and slightly disgusted if Jon ends up with Dany. I hope that has another meaning (it doesn't show Hizdahr, for example, so there's at least one husband it missed). I don't know what they'd even see in each other. She'd be turned off by his not being a hotheaded, violent blowhard and he'd be turned off by her willingness to commit senseless violence and [her] willful ignorance, I like to think. I can't see any scenario where they'd believably fall in love with each other, so if it happens to fulfill some boy-meet-girl cliche – blech.

They both have a strong sense of duty to the helpless people under their rule: Dany toward the slaves & smallfolk, Jon toward the wildling wives & children. They are both sensitive to the consequences of their decisions, in terms of impact on ordinary people. They both see their positions of power as posts of duty, rather than privilege. (Contrast them with Joffrey, for a blatant example.) They are strong-willed fighters and survivors. If they have a little bit of chemistry with each other, then BAM!

And if R+L=J, there is precedent for a Targaryen and a Stark to have very serious chemistry.

I agree with you, that Dany's infatuation with Daario does not reflect well on her. In general I think she's been the least well-written of the main leads, in the last couple books. (That's pending a re-read, I've only been thru the books once.) But there certainly are things that they could see in each other. It would all depend on how they met. I personally would be pleased if their marriage united Westeros, even if it were a volatile union. On the one hand it's a little obvious; but on the other hand it would be a nicely-set-up union of opposites, coming from opposite ends of the world...

Otoh Moqorro sees Tyrion as a small man with a giant shadow, what I read as Tyrion´s actions having great impact.

That's how Jon Snow saw Tyrion in the very first Jon chapter from Game of Thrones. Book 1. That chapter is worth a re-read. Jon stumbles out of the feasting hall, drunk, and has a conversation with Tyrion. At the end of the conversation Tyrion re-enters the hall, and the light from the hall cast his shadow back toward Jon, a shadow as tall as any king's.

Foreshadowing right from the very beginning.

But if Dany goes to Westeros, in winter, and hooks up with the Tyrells, then perhaps it's relevant that the soldiers of the Reach are referred to as "roses" in the same way soldiers of the Westerlands are called "lions" and soldiers of the North are called "wolves". So a blue rose, a winter rose, growing out of a chink in a wall that's covered in ice, could logically represent Dany marrying into, and gaining the military support of, House Tyrell of HIghgarden in the middle of a terrible winter.

Wow. Brilliant.

• 1 month later...

I'd say it's implied it's the first (husband to dread) but it could of course mean any number of things.

"Mount" doesn't necessarily refer to a husband, either. It could be a literal mount, a beast that's ridden. So a mount to dread (or a mount to love) could be Drogon.

13. I think this is Jon Connington. Dany wouldn't think a dragon was a stone beast, she'd call it a dragon. Imo the stone beast is a griffin and the shadow fire is the transmission of greyscale which could potentially kill more people than Daenerys' fire and blood. Looked at the wiki but it doesn't say if greyscale is transmitted by touch alone or if it can be spread like our common cold.

Blue seems very rare to people with coarse black hair ( ok it´s Westeros) and Renly´s eye colour seems to change from green to blue.

Well I remember reading something in SSM where he explains or excuses changing eye colour

Such things are not unheard of, especially since you are talking about one noble family and not necessarily the whole Stormland population.

Well, Dany does light her second fire right after hearing this prophecy, and she does it via Drogon. Burning down the House of the Undying = lighting a fire for death. So that could mean that Drogon is the second (dreaded) mount as well. But I don't see how he can be linked to a treason for gold.

I agree with you about the 2nd fire. Quite ironic that the Undying would predict their own doom. They definitely should have know, given the immense amount of history that she has left to live, that their life sucking trick would not work. Maybe Xoro was the gold betrayal (a bit of a stretch because he would have asked for Drogon then sold him?

My theory about Stannis, based on what we know of his character, is that the minute he comes face-to-face with his rightful liege, he'll bend the knee at once--not just willingly but gratefully.

Not really, unless he has no chance and is desperate. There's no final way to say who is the rightful king without a Constitution or Magna Carta or something, but in Stannis's mind the Targs are clearly out. Otherwise he would have worked with to bring Viseries back. He had plenty of time to show that he did not believe that the usurpation was legal, and he declined to do it. If he still has a chance to be King, then he is clearly the Baretheon King. If some Targ shows up and Stannis is still in dire straights (and perhaps if something has happened to Mel or it becomes clear to Stannis he is not AA), then I can see him selling himself on the idea that some Targ is really the rightful King.

This has been discussed on another threads, the four men raping a woman are believed to be the four Kings at that moment (Joffrey, Robb, Stannis and Renly) and the woman is Westeros

But another rat faced tiny man served her the shade of the evening. What's his significance? Is it supposed to represent Euron, the 5th king?

That's how Jon Snow saw Tyrion in the very first Jon chapter from Game of Thrones. Book 1. That chapter is worth a re-read. Jon stumbles out of the feasting hall, drunk, and has a conversation with Tyrion. At the end of the conversation Tyrion re-enters the hall, and the light from the hall cast his shadow back toward Jon, a shadow as tall as any king's.

Foreshadowing right from the very beginning.

Garlan Tyrell says something similar as does Jeor Mormont. Tyrion is meant for great things

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman; -War of Renly/Stannis/Joffrey/Rob on Westeros or the Queen's men rapping Val.

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter; -The Red Wedding or the Defeat of Bolton at Winterfell

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos; -Daenerys memories of living in Braavos or How the faceless recruited Daenerys in Braavos.

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes"; - Aerys planning the burning of KL or how Aegon will try to stop the Night King with wildfire.

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play; - Rhaegar talking about the prophecy or Aerys talking about the bedding of Johanna Lannister.

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden; - Daenerys visit to HotU or Daenerys talking with the Archmaester-Maegi.

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery. - Daenerys talking to the Undying or Daenerys meeting Quaithe&co. in Asshai.

8) Viserys dying; - Dead of Viserys or the dead of Viserion.

9) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son); - Rahego or Her son by Stannis.

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath; - dead of Rhaelgar or Dead of Aegon.

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow; - Stannis or the Night King.

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd; - Crowd cheering Aegon or Daenerys arriving in KL.

18) a little girl running toward a house with a red door;[2] - Daenerys in Braavos or Arya going to the Faceless temple.

20) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse; - Pale mare/Blood flux or Khal Pono sacking Yunkai.

The visions are from past, present and future events, some are simbolic while others are literal, so there's not a one unified logic to the whole of them. Besides, why doubt everything about other characters but thrust visions of the Undying or Quaithe?

5. A vision of what Rhaegar said - when he was planning for another baby or another person to be the third head of the dragon. It is still up in the air what that prophecy meant.

6, 7: Attempted diversions, like W Darry.

11: The chief Other. Stannis has already cast 2 shadows. Or it could be Stannis now that Mel says she doesnt think he could stand making another shadow.

12: Fake Aegon being hailed by Westerosi dragon men (Targ supporters) Or a parade in Dany's honor.

18: Willem Darry's house in Braavos. The House of the God of Many Faces is black and white.

20: The guy selling the poisoned wine. A past event.

YMMV!

Dany is described as child of three but only mentioned two "parents" ; daughter of death, child of storms. She is also called Slayer of Lies, Bride of Fire, and MOther of Dragons. So far we can only speculate who the third "parent" is. Slayer of Lies is completely over my head. Bride of Fire - well a bit ambiguous. If we take it literally, she has a husband in the future who is symbolized by Fire, I think. There are many ideas as to who that could be. Mother of Dragons could mean literal dragons, Rhaego who was kidnapped by Mirri (or someone), or other future children. We only have Mirri;s word that she is barren and it may be true that all the things Mirri said would happen before she could bear children are indeed going to happen.

19) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;

Very vague, can't imagine what this could possibly be referring to...

People have suggested that the burning of Mirri Maz Duur was part of the magic that allowed Dany to be impervious to Drogo's pyre. I am not sure she had anything to do with the hatching of the dragons since the eggs were getting warm (to Dany only) before Mirri and her notion of putting the eggs on a brazier were on the right track. But this vision may suggest that Mirri did have a role in the actual hatching of the dragons.

Archived