The Honor of House Frey - Please Explain (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

Supposedly the main reason the Freys murdered Robb, his mother and his host at the Red Wedding was because Robb had dishonored his house by breaking his word to Lord Frey.

I understand this was a grevious crime, but what the Freys did was far worse. Murdering someone in your own home, after they have the right of protection after requesting and eating and is aknowledged as beyond the pale. It is an affront to all the Gods and Men.

This was tarnish the honor of house Frey forever. So how in the hell did they restore honor to their house by committing the most grevious crime imaginable?

Can someone please explain this to me? Or was it simply the lust for more power on Lord Freys part and revenge for past grievences, real and imagined?

I think there are a few aspects to why Frey made the decision to do this:

• If I am correct, Hoster Tully refused to marry any of the Freys to a Tully in the past.
  • Robb dishonored the Freys by marrying Jeyne Westerly, doing nothing would the Freys look weak.
  • Robb lost the Karstarks, the Freys, most of the Riverlands lords (who returned to defend their own land), the North to the Ironborn and the Boltons who made a secret pact with the Lannisters. Therefore Walder knew Robb would lose the war.
  • Walder is old and I think he wanted to assure the future of his house by allying with the Lannisters.

All the things I wrote up above here don't justify the Red Wedding, but at least make it a little bit more understandable to me.

I think there are a few aspects to why Frey made the decision to do this:

• If I am correct, Hoster Tully refused to marry any of the Freys to a Tully in the past.
  • Robb dishonored the Freys by marrying Jeyne Westerly, doing nothing would the Freys look weak.
  • Robb lost the Karstarks, the Freys, most of the Riverlands lords (who returned to defend their own land), the North to the Ironborn and the Boltons who made a secret pact with the Lannisters. Therefore Walder knew Robb would lose the war.
  • Walder is old and I think he wanted to assure the future of his house by allying with the Lannisters.

All the things I wrote up above here don't justify the Red Wedding, but at least make it a little bit more understandable to me.

I agree with all of that. The main focus of what occured though is always referenced as revenge for dishonoring their house. But what they did, did just that, but much much worse. Their house has lost honor and trust for all time. From what I understand what was done, had never occured before. It was a direct attack on all the gods and man. They had to know this act would dishonor their honor, not restore it in the eyes of anyone outside their house.

If Tywin is to be believed the initial plan was a hunting accident, but Robb was too closely guarded for that.

I tend to think that if Walder Frey really cared about his family he wouldn't still be clogging up the order of succession with more heirs, so in the end his wounded pride, having his blood turned down by Hoster Tully's insolent little pup of a grandson, I'd argue is probably the inspiration for the Red Wedding in it's majestic detail.

Besides that the Freys are telling everyone ...

Explained in A Dance With Dragons (if I'm right), not much of a spoiler.

... Robb warged into his wolf and went nuts, so they had to kill him. Same for Catelyn, she went nuts aswell, so they had to put her down aswelll. The Freys kinda created their own version of the Red Wedding, making them the victims and the Starks look bad.

Besides that the Freys are telling everyone ...

Explained in A Dance With Dragons (if I'm right), not much of a spoiler.

... Robb warged into his wolf and went nuts, so they had to kill him. Same for Catelyn, she went nuts aswell, so they had to put her down aswelll. The Freys kinda created their own version of the Red Wedding, making them the victims and the Starks look bad.

Hey. Hey you.

I like your consideration when it comes to spoilers (as in stating that what is hidden within the spoiler is from ADWD since I tend to assume a spoiler in this section would pertain to a spoiler from the end of ASOS).

Thank you.

Thats really all I have to say, I think everything else in regards to Frey honor is covered.

Hey. Hey you.

I like your consideration when it comes to spoilers (as in stating that what is hidden within the spoiler is from ADWD since I tend to assume a spoiler in this section would pertain to a spoiler from the end of ASOS).

Thank you.

Thats really all I have to say, I think everything else in regards to Frey honor is covered.

You're welcome, I always state what is inside the spoiler tab, since I don't want to ruin other peoples experiences.

You're welcome, I always state what is inside the spoiler tab, since I don't want to ruin other peoples experiences.

Let me echo that, I appreciate your consideration as well, and I believe the majority of posters on this forum could learn something by following your lead.

I don't think most of them are malicious with spoilers, although a few certainly are. Mostly, it's just carelessness and a lack of consideration. Either way, it's unfortunate. Thank you for being considerate.

This was tarnish the honor of house Frey forever. So how in the hell did they restore honor to their house by committing the most grevious crime imaginable?

The House Frey isn't exactly known to be all that full of honor to begin with... This even comes up in Dunk & Egg (which takes place years before that wedding, when The Late Lord Frey himself was a snot-nosed brat of 4)

I still wonder if "looking weak" might not have been the better option opposed to murdering guests (the king, his host and mother) in their own home at a wedding. I mean, compared to that, Jaime Lannister looks like a saint for what he did. They are putting a lot of faith in the hope that the Lannisters are going to rule the whole of Westeros, because they might be the only house wanting to deal with them in all eternity after that.

I agree on the respectful use of spoiler tags in this forum, by the way, it is a great shining example. I have never before felt "safe" to join a discussion forum before I finished a book. Whenever I got spoiled here, it was entirely my own fault for leaving the safety of the "still reading" section at my own risk. Thank you for that!

And Chise, I love your signature, especially the last part. I've shed more tears of joy, anger and grief over ASoIaF characters than over many "real life" experiences.

Archived