Patrick O Brian-Aubrey/Maturin

redriver

I'm thinking of starting this series after reading a strong excerpt from 3. I did find what I read of book 1 slow, a few years ago.

Anyone else a fan of this series?

How this compare to Hornblower? Or Flashman, even though that is non-nautical? I'm probably starting 1 of these 3.

Calibandar

I've read the whole series and 8 out of 12 (so far) of the Flashman series. I have greatly enjoyed both. Flashman is more humorous with faster paced action, while better the Aubrey / Maturin series has better character interaction and development over the series (including multiple supporting characters). Both series are balanced, so far example A / M also has a lot of humour and action, so it's a close call but if I had to decide which one I was to recommend to pickup the Aubrey / Maturin series (you are of course in a Patrick O'Brian thread!). I think you'll enjoy whatever choice you make.

I haven't read any Hornblower yet, but it's on my list of series to pick up. I'm just loathe to get involved in another series at the moment, as I'm part way through at least ten at the moment.

I tried the first novel after having seen the movie (and also after having read most/all of Hornblower) and could not get into it. It felt terribly didactic when one character is shown all the rigging, ropes etc. presumeably for the reader to be enlighted about this so I stopped before they even left the harbor...

Should I start again and skip this or should I maybe try a later volume first (something I usually do not like to do with series)? I've been a fan of naval stuff since I read Treasure Island in 3rd grade (or maybe even before with Pippi Longstocking movies) and I think I really should like the series, but really felt disappointed with this first try.

The unprecedented thing POB does is to completely use anachronistic language while still appealing to a contemporary audience. Genius, imo. I will be seeing his home in Collioure this spring. It's on the French Med coast very close to Spain, a lovely spot.

Also, once you accept the linguistc rhythms, the books are filled with incredibly hilarious lines/situations.

Archived