Anyone Else Surprised That (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

Little Finger displayed no emotional reaction to the news of Cats death. She was supposedly his life long love right? His scheming and planning to a large degree was to win her in the end, yet he does not plan any revenge or even speak sadly of it up until this point in the series?

Only passing references have been made.

Well I actually don't think that his scheming was 'to get her in the end' at all. I actually think his scheming was to bring her down and the Starks because she turned him down for first Brandon then Ned. He also does not show much emotion in public, this is his was of staying in control. It may be that he had a cry in private, though I think probably from joy rather than sadness :)

Besides (and only read this next part if you have finished ASoS!!!)

He has 'Little Cat' now, a newer and more beautiful version of Cat! (I have a nasty feeling that Sansa will end up falling in love with LF... YUCK!!) :)

Well I actually don't think that his scheming was 'to get her in the end' at all. I actually think his scheming was to bring her down and the Starks because she turned him down for first Brandon then Ned. He also does not show much emotion in public, this is his was of staying in control. It may be that he had a cry in private, though I think probably from joy rather than sadness :)

Besides (and only read this next part if you have finished ASoS!!!)

He has 'Little Cat' now, a newer and more beautiful version of Cat! (I have a nasty feeling that Sansa will end up falling in love with LF... YUCK!!) :)

Pray tell this never happens! I can't see Sansa falling for him. I just hope LF doesnt force himself on her at some point.

Unfortunately, that looks like the way it's going.

There were initially subtle hints, like Littlefinger staring at Sansa, but from her PoV she didn't even dream it was sexual. Then it just accelerated, culminating with the snow castle scene in the Eyrie's garden and the Moon Door scene.

It's also interesting that while Sansa was revolted by Tyrion while she was with him, she quickly realized afterward that he treated her kindly.

I bet he knew about it before Cat knew about it. I'm sure he would have been a little sad but his affection for her has cooled over a lifetime; there's also bittering resentment bubbling underneath there somewhere too. And yeah, his affection for "Little Cat" is a bit too obvious.

Petyr may have some other plans for Sansa, but the kiss in the snow castle, I think that was intentional. He knew Lysa would be watching, he knew she would get jealous, he knew she would threaten Sansa. It was all his plan to push her out the Moon Door. Remember, he made Loras join The Kings Guard, made his father propose Margery to marry Joff. Little Finger is sly.

Wouldn't that be quite a complicated story to spin? To kiss her intentionally to create a situation that allowed him to kill Lysa? I mean, he just simply lied and blamed the singer, I imagine he could have done such a thing all the time. So I don't think it was planned to that extent. But it was certainly a welcome excuse.

Wouldn't that be quite a complicated story to spin? To kiss her intentionally to create a situation that allowed him to kill Lysa? I mean, he just simply lied and blamed the singer, I imagine he could have done such a thing all the time. So I don't think it was planned to that extent. But it was certainly a welcome excuse.

I'm not neccessarily convinced that LF could have planned this chain of events, but if he did indeed plan it out I think the angle was to get Lysa threatening Sansa so he could then come to her rescue. That way he not only kills Lysa and gets Robert Arryn under his control but also hopes to get Sansa Stark to trust him.

Hmm, I think it would have been quite a risky plan to have Lysa almost shove Sansa down the moon door. There was no way (IMO) that he could have calculated their behaviour so exactly to make sure they're both still alive when he arrived. So either he has no use of Sansa anymore (and plans to pretty much just keep her as a pet) or he must have been very lucky. Or maybe the singer was part of the plot, just didn't know about the little detail that he'd get blamed.

I think that there would have been easier ways to get rid of Lysa. Or he's addicted to the excitement of playing the game and intentionally chose the risky path of leaving the jealous psychotic alone with Sansa.

At one point he admits to Sansa that sometimes the game pieces don't move as expected. I would guess that's part of the thrill of being a player.

By the way, Petyr and Varys somehow remind me of another HBO series, "Rome" and the two protagonists Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus. While not being top personalities themselves, they always "happen" to be in the middle of the big historical events and play their role in the sense that nothing of the major events would have happened without them, but their role never makes it to the history records.

The big difference would be that Littlefinger and Varys are very well aware of the strings they are pulling. But to some extent, even those two can't plan and predict everyone's actions in advance. I see them more like pushing and pulling, see what happens and react really quickly when they see their big moment. I think Petyr was pulling a string, keeping an open eye and then just reacted instantly when he saw his chance.

Tyrion has the talent to be a player as well, but he's often caught up in his good intentions, his honour, his romantic feelings and his family ties (which is now kindof obsolete). Varys and Petyr do not have these ties or at least they do not let their actions be clouded by them. They are more free to act as they want to. It will be interesting how Tyrion develops as soon as he's set free. My bets go out that he's going to turn into a player after this book.

Little Finger displayed no emotional reaction to the news of Cats death. She was supposedly his life long love right? His scheming and planning to a large degree was to win her in the end, yet he does not plan any revenge or even speak sadly of it up until this point in the series?

Only passing references have been made.

We don't see him get the news, either. I'm sure LF and Varys knew some time before Joff does.

The big difference would be that Littlefinger and Varys are very well aware of the strings they are pulling. But to some extent, even those two can't plan and predict everyone's actions in advance. I see them more like pushing and pulling, see what happens and react really quickly when they see their big moment. I think Petyr was pulling a string, keeping an open eye and then just reacted instantly when he saw his chance.

Tyrion has the talent to be a player as well, but he's often caught up in his good intentions, his honour, his romantic feelings and his family ties (which is now kindof obsolete). Varys and Petyr do not have these ties or at least they do not let their actions be clouded by them. They are more free to act as they want to. It will be interesting how Tyrion develops as soon as he's set free. My bets go out that he's going to turn into a player after this book.

I don't thing Varys is a player at the same extent as LF is. LF has schemed and controlled most of the people of influence in KL, while varys just selectivly informs some to the actions of others. Varys has never shown any motives of his own yet and never takes actions into his own hands such as

LF killing Lysa

Now in response to most of the comments here about LF and Sansa. I don't think that LF plotted his way from being thrown out of Riverrun to Master of Coin in KL, betraying Ned, negotiating the Lannister-Tyrell alliance, becoming Lord of Harrenhal, Lord of the Eyrie, Defender of the Vale just to get Sansa. I think he has a bigger plan in his mind and is planing to use Sansa as a pawn (her being now the 'lady of winterfell)

At one point he admits to Sansa that sometimes the game pieces don't move as expected. I would guess that's part of the thrill of being a player.

By the way, Petyr and Varys somehow remind me of another HBO series, "Rome" and the two protagonists Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus. While not being top personalities themselves, they always "happen" to be in the middle of the big historical events and play their role in the sense that nothing of the major events would have happened without them, but their role never makes it to the history records.

Viva Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Loved Rome, and it's an interesting comparison, but I think LF and Varys put themselves in the middle of every situation, whereas Rome's events seemed to happen to Titus and Lucius.

Archived