Brans weirwood visions

shmoove

In aDwD when Bran learns how to slip into weirwoods he sees;

• His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";
  • A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;
  • A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;
  • A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;
  • A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;
  • Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

I am not sure what all of these mean.

The first one is pretty obvious.

Who are the kids in the second one?

I am guessing the third one is Lyanna maybe?

The forth Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Not sure about the fifth.

Is the last one UnCat?

Boy and girl playing are probably Lyanna and Benjen.

Skinny girl kissing tall knight is, I think, Old Nan kissing Duncan the Tall.

My guess about pregnant woman is: Eddard's mother, or grandmother, or great-grandmother - someone between Eddard being an adult and Old Nan with Duncan, which probably happened some 90 years ago.

The last one, the woman with the sickle is probably someone from way back - even the weirwood is small then...

Hope this helps - these are just my theories...

Tnx Shmoove I wanted a topic about it.

First one is obvious, and I think it is a good reason that R+L=J is not true. The Second one is about Lyanna and one of her brothers probably Brandon. The rest I have no idea but like other guys I think it is about past generations of Stark family.

My guess about pregnant woman is: Eddard's mother, or grandmother, or great-grandmother - someone between Eddard being an adult and Old Nan with Duncan, which probably happened some 90 years ago.

The last one, the woman with the sickle is probably someone from way back - even the weirwood is small then...

Seems fairly reasonable.

I think the biggest two questions are who was the pregnant woman and what was the deal with the captive. The rest are probably just there to illustrate the fact Bran is looking further and further back in time.

It's possible that Bran is about to discover that the Starks made blood sacrifices in the early days. This could actually be the first real evidence that much of what we think we know about Pre-Andal Westeros and the Long Night is wrong.

His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive."

A reference to Robb and Jon not being brothers --> another hint for R+L=J ? maybe.

A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;

Lyanna and Benjen practicing swordfigting

A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

Either Ned's mother or grandmother praying for a healthy son, not sure about the avenging part, but we really know nothing about Ned's mother

A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor

Possibly Ser Duncan the Tall (the next D&E story will be in Winterfell, right?) kissing a young Old Nan

A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows -

no idea. Wasn't there a guy who killed a dragon with a weirwood arrow through the eye? maybe somebody can give a quote?

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

proof that the Northerners practiced blood sacrifice in the past. I also think this will come to play in the next book...

Overall I think we can agree that the visions travel back in time, as the weirwood tree gets smaller and smaller

Bran is probably the best written "hero" character. The writer knows when not to visit him because there is no point to writing whole chapters of filler with his character. For that, I am thankful. Of course, by now, Bran's sections aren't complete without Hodor, Mirra and Jojen. I have sworn to stop reading if any of Bran's team dies and I still hold to that.

First one is obvious, and I think it is a good reason that R+L=J is not true. The Second one is about Lyanna and one of her brothers probably Brandon. The rest I have no idea but like other guys I think it is about past generations of Stark family.

I think the first a actually reinforces the idea that Jon and Robb are not cousins... And Brandon was older than Lyanna, the boy in Bran's vision is younger, that's why Bran initially thinks it's Arya and him.

I suspect the answer is that it's designed to be ambiguous, as both interpretations

I want them to be like brothers even though they're not, and I hope Cat forgives me for deceiving her (i.e. R+L=J)

I want them to be like brothers, despite one a bastard, and I hope Cat forgives me for having a bastard (i.e. R+L =/= J)

are valid.

EDIT: Or to put it differently, it's essentially an exercise in confirmation bias; you're going to interpret it the way you're already leaning.

Half-brothers are still brothers, they are "half" because they share only one parent. So "like brothers" in reference to them being half-brothers doesn't add up, to me.

Also, I can't see how one thought segues into the next, unless Ned's thinking of them as cousins posing as brothers. First, Ned's thinking about the relationship between Robb and Jon, and then his thoughts shift to Catelyn's forgiveness. If it was truly a matter of infidelity, wouldn't that be Ned's first thought? Rather, his thoughts of Robb and Jon's relationship (a false one) lead to his thought that he hopes Catelyn can forgive him (for being false).

His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive."

A reference to Robb and Jon not being brothers --> another hint for R+L=J ? maybe.

A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;

Lyanna and Benjen practicing swordfigting

A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;

Either Ned's mother or grandmother praying for a healthy son, not sure about the avenging part, but we really know nothing about Ned's mother

A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor

Possibly Ser Duncan the Tall (the next D&E story will be in Winterfell, right?) kissing a young Old Nan

A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows -

no idea. Wasn't there a guy who killed a dragon with a weirwood arrow through the eye? maybe somebody can give a quote?

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

proof that the Northerners practiced blood sacrifice in the past. I also think this will come to play in the next book...

Overall I think we can agree that the visions travel back in time, as the weirwood tree gets smaller and smaller

Bloodraven???

Wat.

The first one actually reinforces R+L=J assuming the quote is talking about Robb and Jon....

Let them grow up close as brothers= they are not brothers, but let their relationship be as if they are

Let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive= Let Catelyn find it in her heart to forgive me for my alleged (fake) "infidelity".

It can be interpreted several ways and I'm sure Martin left it open and ambiguous but it certainly is not proof that R+L=J is not true.

Wait a minute.....Nan and Dunk?? Where did I miss that?

Archived