50% read... and the depression kicks in

Ygrette

SPOILERS ahead for those who haven't read at least 50% of the book!

(Other spoilers will be spoiler-tagged)

Hi all,

I have noticed that so many people have died so far that I am getting numb and fatalistic. When I read that scene where Samwell fights the wights in the hut and almost dies I was already convinced he would die. But not in a good, exciting sense. I just sighed and thought "oh damn, Sam dies, too, well, so be it then" and I really like the character - it's not that I didn't care.

But I'm having trouble getting/staying emotionally attached to people in the story, because I suspect they're all going to die before they had the chance to do anything really awesome.

(Spoiler about future deaths in SoS)

I already know Robb, Grey Wind and Ygritte are going to die too... just not how and when. Despite my nickname choice, I am quite okay with Ygritte, because it fits the whole situation, but Greywind? Another direwolf? Another Stark? Innit about time one of the bad guys died, too?

No more wolf/Stark deaths, please! Or they'll all be gone before we know what they're all about! Sansa and Arya are alive, but wolfless. Rickon and Shaggy are just gone without a trace.

Now I am torn between eternally spoiling myself by looking up all of my favourite characters to see if they die (and when/how) or not... or taking a break...

I somehow feel like I felt after Ned&Drogo died, my two favourites in the TV show. Somehow hopeless and annoyed. I feel like kicking a bucket and squealing like a little girl. Bring them back, Mr Martin! *shakes a fist*

What do you guys think? Does the following story make up for all of those losses (and losses ahead)? Will the feeling pass? Will awesome people survive at least until the end of ADwD?

Bah, what a rant. Sorry for the yapping. But I feel better now. A little.

Still wanna keep Grey Wind. I knew Robb dies. But why does Grey Wind have to die, too? Bet the Freys are going to betray him.

Greetings,

Steph

I was spoiled for some of those parts, too.

I still put the book away for a day or two, took deep breaths and then continued.

Those feelings of loss never completely pass (I'm still hella mad about...some things^^), but the story is so compelling that you can still enjoy it despite death left right and center. And yes, there are

awesome people still alive by the end of ADWD.

Not saying anything else hehe.

Just make sure you stay the hell away from the General ASOIAF forum, some thread titles are spoilers by itself.

Take your time, but keep reading, the books are worth it.

A number of deaths in ASoS were spoiled for me. If anything, I'm happier now cause I'm going into AFFC and ADwD completely unspoiled.

Keep reading. You'll find new favourites, new stories that interest you. I like how nobody is safe, it adds to the tension and the shock when they finally happen.

Also, stop spoiling it for yourself. Resist the temptation. Once I accidentally found out about a number of characters fates, I made it my business to not read ANYHTING online related to the books. Wikis, YouTube comments etc. It's easy to avoid spoilers here fortunately.

A number of deaths in ASoS were spoiled for me. If anything, I'm happier now cause I'm going into AFFC and ADwD completely unspoiled.

Keep reading. You'll find new favourites, new stories that interest you. I like how nobody is safe, it adds to the tension and the shock when they finally happen.

Also, stop spoiling it for yourself. Resist the temptation. Once I accidentally found out about a number of characters fates, I made it my business to not read ANYHTING online related to the books. Wikis, YouTube comments etc. It's easy to avoid spoilers here fortunately.

I consider myself lucky for not getting spoiled about anything in Game of Thrones (Well, I saw the series first, but don't consider that a spoiler), Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and Feast For Crows. Only found out the epilogue character from A Dance With Dragons. And well, we all know what happens with prologue and epilogue characters, don't we?

I have to blame myself here, because I knew I was treading dangerous waters in the other parts of the forum. I just LOVE to discuss and think about the characters and the "safe" forums are so scarcly populated I just wanted to be a part of the community, foolish imaptient me. So I'm not blaming this forum at all. It's actually great with all those rules and sections, very respectful.

You give me hope, guys and girls, thanks so much for that.

I've been at that point before (after Drogo's death) and it was worth reading on. The uncertainty is what ultimately kept me hooked to the story and I'm afraid it's pretty much impossible to un-hook myself now. Most of the time it adds to the excitement, on other days it makes me feel vulnerable. It's incredible how much power the bards have with their words. It's true what Lord Tywin said, some wars are not won with sword, but with ink and quill.

Oh and I am also pissed off, because Sam didn't take the raven. I sure would have. "COORRRRN:"

Greetings,

Steph

The character death doesn't bother me as much although yeah, it does make you not care eventually because you know they'll die.

But along with the deaths, what really bothers me is the lack of relief or reward for the characters. They always stumble from one bad situation to another.

I am slowly also beginning to realize this writer loves his sadistic torture scenes... Dwelling a lot on the suffering of the unsullied (I just flipped ahead --TMI and "I get it, they're raised amidst cruelty, moving on!") and then doubling down and relishing Ramsey Bolton's penchant for torture and child rape.

He does write his "villains" a lot better than the heroes.

Sadly, you will not find relief anytime soon.

And those who don't suffer as much are also given whole chapters of nothing but filler.

Meh.

I feel the same as you so far, all the good characters die....

Well I can't figure out how to do the spoilers tag, but my count there are over 50 characters who could without question be considered "good guys" in a traditional sense, plus a number about 15 "grey characters" or villains who are very, very cool. And i'm not even counting all the new characters introduced in feast an dance.

And to say no bad guys die is also pretty laughable... The most vile villains have the most vile deaths so far.

I mean people really overreact by the deaths in these books... sure some of them were just terrible to read about, so depressing like cat and robb's... but you need to keep in mind that the author kills off more characters than moth authors create. There are still so many awesome characters... In fact I don't miss any character that died to be honest, all my favorites are still alive and kicking past dance (doesn't mean i'm not worried about them, but thats the beauty of it)... and the bad guys suffer a lot too, not even giving any STORM spoilers, remember Amory Lorch got fed to a bear... i mean there aren't many worse ways to die... and just wait til you finish STORM, lots of "bad guys" go down

Well I can't figure out how to do the spoilers tag, but my count there are over 50 characters who could without question be considered "good guys" in a traditional sense, plus a number about 15 "grey characters" or villains who are very, very cool. And i'm not even counting all the new characters introduced in feast an dance.

And to say no bad guys die is also pretty laughable... The most vile villains have the most vile deaths so far.

I mean people really overreact by the deaths in these books... sure some of them were just terrible to read about, so depressing like cat and robb's... but you need to keep in mind that the author kills off more characters than moth authors create. There are still so many awesome characters... In fact I don't miss any character that died to be honest, all my favorites are still alive and kicking past dance (doesn't mean i'm not worried about them, but thats the beauty of it)

I said nothing about the bad guys..

I guess a more accurate statement would have been, all my favorite characters die. I'm just waiting for that Daenerys's boot to drop.I know it's going to be awful....

I was spoiled on Robb Stark's death because some troll was posting details about in on purpose, just to piss people off. He explained his reasoning by saying new fans (who got interested via HBO) deserved to have the series ruined for them, and that he's "earned that right" as a book fan who's been reading for 15 years. What an ass.

I'm done with this series until Martin proves he's going somewhere with it. I'm not about to sign on for the Adventures of Brienne, I'm not going to wait 20 years for plot resolution so a publisher can milk more dollars out of the series, and I'm not going to do another Wheel of Time.

I understand Martin is prickly with what he sees are demanding fans. That's cool, so long as he shows the slightest indication that he hasn't lost his grip entirely and has an endgame in mind. But he hasn't, and that's why people are growing increasingly impatient.

The backlash isn't imagined...very few celebrated authors have been battered in reviews like Martin has on his last two books, and no troll could have been responsible for the thousands of one- and two-star ratings on Amazon. When even the hardcore fans are abandoning the series en masse, it's time to get a grip.

Lord Barristan, WHAT?

Cat dies, too? Damn, damn, damn.

*faints dramatically*

Planetary,

as far as I understand it, the "end" is already written or at least schemed. GRRM said at one point that his original plan was to "fast forward" some characters, because in order for the endgame to happen, they need to age. But instead of just skipping a few years, he decided to write about the years in between and so I was quite happy about that.

Only what sucks is the fact that we have to wait for so long and keep ourselves busy with theories, discussions, the TV series, role playing... if we like the story enough.

But I see your point. I have [...] about Sansa and Tyrion and even have lengthy dreams about the story, because it grieves me to see them suffar so much without any actual kind of relief in between. Arya's storyline is especially hurtful, because she never gets to be free. I don't expect her to fall into her mother's arms and everything is being pink, fluffy and unicorns from that point on, but freedom? At least a little bit of freedom, please? Or Nimeria showing up? Please?

As far as my long term motivation goes, I am still motivated, because I see no point in judging the single books before I know the end. It's like cutting a movie in seven parts and judge part 3 or 5 on its own. It doesn't work for me. But I've always been a series kind of mind. I don't mind if the series takes a millenium to actually ever "get there", but I really do require some kind of relief or hope in between. There hasn't been something truly amusing or delightful in a while - as opposed to the first book which had lots of those elements. Dany is being awesome right now, but nothing that makes me laugh out loud.

That may be my entire point. I truly need some laughter and it's hard to see the amusement in the face of so much fear and loss and fear of loss. Even Tyrion makes me sad.

Greetings,

Steph

I agree with you. I am getting reluctant to get attached to new characters because of the rate at which they are dropped off.

Those deaths are so awful but form the turning point of the novel. So for me, even though it was really gruesome, I felt some consolation in that it was an event to move the plot forward significantly and that (hopefully) those kinslayers at the red wedding will get what's coming to them

The thing I don't understand is...

How did they catch GreyWind? Old Frey sent him outside specifically so he couldn't get involved in the battle...but they still managed to cut off his head? wouldn't he have just...i don't know...ran away???

Doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't mind some people to die, but... so far, my favourite characters have been:

Tyrion, Arya, Ned Stark, Khal Drogo, the wolves, Lord Mormont, Ygritte, Jon Snow, King Robert, Davos Seaworth, Bran and Catelyn.

...and so far, it seems I have a really poor choice of favourite characters. Of 11 humans only 3 (?) alive and 2 of the wolves dead as well, two (3?) missing. Bran somewhat died, too, for a while. And at the point where I've read Arya doesn't look so gook as well - axe in the back of her head? WTF? Can't have been the Hound, then...

I'm now at 60% at "it" (the stuff I got spoiled) is finally done. It was so painful to read/listen.

Usually I used to look forward to Tyrion's POV, but now I'm just sad. Luckily, I was just preparing food when I listened to it, cutting onions. So noone knew I had lost my mind when I cried. :P

Though I would say that aSoS has some excrutiatingly depressing chapters, I think it also has some of the best moments in the series. The last third of aSoS is absolutely riveting with all sorts of action and shocking moments. If you're anything like me, you'll move from tears to cheers from reading the whole thing.

The two posters above me are right, you will probably love what happens in the home stretch. ASOS is considered by most to be the best book of the series for a reason, its a hell of a thriller.

This series is obviously kind of dark and depressing, but that makes its "good" moments all the more sweeter. Try to look at it from that perspective, it will help.

Oh god you're saying the most exciting part is yet to come? I'll better get some valium! :D

Thanks a lot, this helped very much to get motivated to get the rest read. Yesterday I spent an hour of ranting to my husband who has read all of the 5 books. he is instructed not to spoil me at all and he had to leave the room because he couldn't hide the big grin on his face. That made me instantly pick up the book and keep reading.

Archived