A Public Service Announcement: The Targaryens' (Lack of) Immunity to Fire

Has anybody ventured the thought that Benioff and Weiss have decided to deviate from GRRM and have it that some , not all, Targ/Valyrians were fireproof and are telling the teleplay writers to do that?

There already have been some small deviations.

Has anybody ventured the thought that Benioff and Weiss have decided to deviate from GRRM and have it that some , not all, Targ/Valyrians were fireproof and are telling the teleplay writers to do that?

There already have been some small deviations.

It's possible, sure. But the show isn't the book.

We have one. Which Martin said was a one-time thing.

Drogon's breath, with flames (fixed for ya), blistered her skin and she ducked under the flames when he unleashed them. If she'd taken a full blast of flames to directly the face and walked away unscathed, you'd be onto something. But she didn't.

I will acknowledge that Dany feels heat. She actually feels the heat of the spear in Drogon's back as she pulls it out. She also gets blisters from it.

But still.... Drogon would have fried anyone else. Something is up with her.

She hatched Drogon and raised him. So yes, it makes sense that he'd hesitate to try to roast her. That doesn't make her fireproof.

And for like the fifth time, the breath that blistered her skin was not fire. You didn't "fix" anything. He roared in her face — the breath that blistered her skin — and then spat fire at her — which she ducked — later, after she whipped him. The skin-blistering roar and the fire-breathing were separate instances, on separate pages.

Martin has said himself that Dany's immunity on the funeral pyre was a one-time thing in her case. So I'm sincerely baffled that so many people still think that she's immune to fire. I can see people who only watch the show being confused, yeah. But still arguing for it when the author himself has said that it isn't true is just ludicrous, I'm sorry.

She hatched Drogon and raised him. So yes, it makes sense that he'd hesitate to try to roast her. That doesn't make her fireproof.

And for like the fifth time, the breath that blistered her skin was not fire. You didn't "fix" anything. He roared in her face — the breath that blistered her skin — and then spat fire at her — which she ducked — later, after she whipped him. The skin-blistering roar and the fire-breathing were separate instances, on separate pages.

Martin has said himself that Dany's immunity on the funeral pyre was a one-time thing in her case. So I'm sincerely baffled that so many people still think that she's immune to fire. I can see people who only watch the show being confused, yeah. But still arguing for it when the author himself has said that it isn't true is just ludicrous, I'm sorry.

Yes it was. I quoted it earlier. Black fire in fact.

Yes it was. I quoted it earlier. Black fire in fact.

For pete's sake.

From ADWD, pg. 698.

Drogon roared. The sound filled the pit. A furnace of wind engulfed her.

Wind. Not fire. Wind. Not fire. Wind. Not fire.

Continuing on, same paragraph ... Drogon opens his mouth and shows bits of bone and his eyes are "molten." Dany's understandably afraid and thinks if she runs, he'll burn her (hint: no burning yet). She wonders which afterlife she'll go to if she dies.

And on, still the same paragraph ...

Drogon roared full in her face, his breath hot enough to blister skin.

His breath — wind, not fire — is enough to blister her skin.

Please explain to me which parts of that paragraph involve Drogon spraying fire at her.

The part that you keep talking about is on an entirely different page. It's the next page, yes, but it's a separate event from the skin-blistering breath — WIND. NOT FIRE — on pg. 698. The black fire you mentioned, on pg. 699? Dany ducks underneath it; it never actually engulfs her.

For pete's sake.

From ADWD, pg. 698.

Wind. Not fire. Wind. Not fire. Wind. Not fire.

Continuing on, same paragraph ... Drogon opens his mouth and shows bits of bone and his eyes are "molten." Dany's understandably afraid and thinks if she runs, he'll burn her (hint: no burning yet). She wonders which afterlife she'll go to if she dies.

And on, still the same paragraph ...

His breath — wind, not fire — is enough to blister her skin.

Please explain to me which parts of that paragraph involve Drogon spraying fire at her.

The part that you keep talking about is on an entirely different page. It's the next page, yes, but it's a separate event from the skin-blistering breath — WIND. NOT FIRE — on pg. 698. The black fire you mentioned, on pg. 699? Dany ducks underneath it; it never actually engulfs her.

That is first pass, Drogon also spits fire at her, as I quoted earlier. That black fire would be much hotter than his breath. In fact, it caught her hair and clothes on fire as proof. His breath did not do that. . Any other mortal would have been badly burned by that fire.

It is okay, you are in Dany denial. .

Case closed!!!

That is the first one, he also spits fire at her, as I quoted earlier. That black fire would be much hotter than his breath. In fact, it caught her hair and clothes on fire as proof. His breath did not do that. . Any other mortal would have been badly burned by that fire.

It is okay, you are in Dany denial. .

Case closed!!!

He spits fire at her and she ducks underneath it. It was close enough to burn her hair but she missed the worst part of it. Like I said, if she had taken a full fire blast to the face and body and walked away without a scratch, you would have a point. But she ducks underneath it.

His breath — just his breath — still blistered her skin. By your standards, it shouldn't have done anything to her. So why did it?

The author himself has said that Dany is not immune to fire.

What more do you need, seriously?

No, Apple Martini is right. There was hot but not burning breath which went right into her face but there was no fire. Fire came a moment later, and she darted UNDER it, which is when her hair caught fire. Also, note please that unlike after entering the pyre, her clothes are NOT burnt. She dropped her tokar and veils somewhere on the way in the Pit but she still has her underwear tunic.

He spits fire at her and she ducks underneath it. It was close enough to burn her hair but she missed the worst part of it. Like I said, if she had taken a full fire blast to the face and body and walked away without a scratch, you would have a point. But she ducks underneath it.

His breath — just his breath — still blistered her skin. By your standards, it shouldn't have done anything to her. So why did it?

The author himself has said that Dany is not immune to fire.

What more do you need, seriously?

He spits fire at her and she ducks underneath it.

But it was close enough to catch her hair and clothes on fire. Barristan saw her burning. What about this do you not understand?

No, Apple Martini is right. There was hot but not burning breath which went right into her face but there was no fire. Fire came a moment later, and she darted UNDER it, which is when her hair caught fire. Also, note please that unlike after entering the pyre, her clothes are NOT burnt. She dropped her tokar and veils somewhere on the way in the Pit but she still has her underwear tunic.

Yes, I'm just reading the part where she's wandering with Drogon. When she says that, "The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me" she is remembering the dragons hatching. She compares that to the pit, but in that case, the fire didn't touch her because it actually didn't touch her. Her clothes are all still intact and she only mentions them being stained.

But it was close enough to catch her hair and clothes on fire. Barristan saw her burning. What about this do you not understand?

Barristan wants to believe she's alive and the nobles want to believe she's dead. They remember what they want to remember. Memory is not exact and it's not precise and it's not even terribly accurate, especially in that instance where there's panic and lots of fast movement. Ever taken a psychology course of any kind? Two people can see the exact same event and remember it completely differently, and it's possible for both of them to misremember things.

Again, for the eleventy billionth time ... George. Martin. Himself. Has. Said. That. Dany. Is. Not. Immune. To. Fire.

He clothes DIDN'T catch. Barristan saw her HAIR burning - hair catches fire easily, try bending over a candle.

Yes, I'm just reading the part where she's wandering with Drogon. When she says that, "The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me" she is remembering the dragons hatching. She compares that to the pit, but in that case, the fire didn't touch her because it actually didn't touch her. Her clothes are all still intact and she only mentions them being stained.

Ok, her head survives her hair being set on fire by a dragon. Still impressive!

Ok, her head survives her hair being on fire from a dragon. Still impressive!

Are you freaking kidding me? That's all you have to say after all of this, after I've told you repeatedly that she isn't immune to fire? "Oh her hair didn't burn too badly, cool story bro"? :D

Also, thanks Ygrain for backing me up.

Are you freaking kidding me? That's all you have to say after all of this, after I've told you repeatedly that she isn't immune to fire? "Oh her hair didn't burn too badly, cool story bro"? :D

Also, thanks Ygrain for backing me up.

Lol, I am having fun with you. You have to admit that Dany has had two fire encounters to date. So far she has been unharmed outside of blisters. Will you admit that?

Lol, I am having fun with you.

I feel like I'm arguing with a brick wall.

You have to admit that Dany has had two fire encounters to date. So far she has been unharmed outside of blisters. Will you admit that?

I admit that she has had one fireproof incident on the pyre.

The thing in the pit is not evidence that she's fireproof. If anything it argues the opposite — breath, not even fire, is enough to blister her skin. If she hadn't ducked when she did when he actually spat fire, she'd've been incinerated.

He roared in her face — the breath that blistered her skin

Dragons typically spout flame when they "roar" - or at least, they have done so on other occasions (such as the scene where Quentyn first meets the dragons with Dany). I'm not necessarily saying Drogon spouted flame on this occasion. But certainly, the fact that he "roared" does not mean he did NOT spout flame.

Martin has said himself that Dany's immunity on the funeral pyre was a one-time thing in her case.

No. He did not. He said that the birth of Dany's dragons was a unique miraculous event.

So I'm sincerely baffled that so many people still think that she's immune to fire.

I don't think anyone who has read any part of this thread is arguing that she is ALWAYS immune to fire. The problem is YOUR instance that she NEVER has shown or EVER will show any kind of fire-resistance or fire immunity except that ONE single time.

GRRM's words do not support that.

aDwD seems to indicate that Dany believes she suffered a 2d fire-resistant event in the Pit with Drogon, apparently while riding him. You think she is wrong. Maybe she is. But obviously GRRM does not think it as critically important as you do that no fan be misled into believing she can experience more than one fire-resistant event. Because if GRRM was as Gung Ho about this as you are, he would never have worded the chapter that way.

Even if GRRM's words from 1999 DO mean what you desperately want them to mean (and I don't think they do), ever consider the possibility that GRRM changed his mind? The words you are quoting come from 1999. ADWD was published in 2011.

I feel like I'm arguing with a brick wall.

I admit that she has had one fireproof incident on the pyre.

The thing in the pit is not evidence that she's fireproof. If anything it argues the opposite — breath, not even fire, is enough to blister her skin. If she hadn't ducked when she did when he actually spat fire, she'd've been incinerated.

Dany is not that good of an athlete and Dragon Fire is too powerful. If it caught her hair on fire, it was strong enough to badly blacken her.

Archived