A Public Service Announcement: The Targaryens' (Lack of) Immunity to Fire

Hey, you can keep hoping that Dany goes up in a ball of flames. All I know is that she was close enough to real dragon fire to catch her hair and clothing on fire, and she does not even think about the heat or pain. She is just worried about commanding Drogon, protecting her people, and getting her dragon out of that mess before he gets hurt.

Maybe she tricks herself into not feeling the heat of the fire.

You know there's that thing called adrenalin that happens in this kind of situations, the fact that she didn't feel pain doesn't mean that the pain wasnt there. The truth is that with only a hot breath from Drogon, her hands got burned.

ETA: lol Apple, your fast! :D

You know there's that thing called adrenalin that happens in this kind of situations, the fact that she didn't feel pain doesn't mean that the pain wasnt there. The truth is that with only a hot breath from Drogon, her hands got burned.

ETA: lol Apple, your fast! :D

Adrenalin is one thing, but we are also talking about frigging black dragon fire.... and she does not even think about its heat which your mind would naturally register as you felt it......

Adrenalin is one thing, but we are also talking about frigging black dragon fire.... and she does not even think about its heat which your mind would naturally register as you felt it......

I say again, adrenalin. If it's pumping like crazy — which it would have been at that time — it can make you forget a lot of things.

Say it with me now: Targaryens, which includes Dany, are not fireproof.

I say again, adrenalin. If it's pumping like crazy — which it would have been at that time — it can make you forget a lot of things.

Say it with me now: Targaryens, which includes Dany, are not fireproof.

Targaryens are not, we have two instances of Dany being fire proof.

Targaryens are not, we have two instances of Dany being fire proof.

We have one. Which Martin said was a one-time thing.

Drogon's breath, without flames, blistered her skin and she ducked under the flames when he unleashed them. If she'd taken a full blast of flames to directly the face and walked away unscathed, you'd be onto something. But she didn't.

Again ,the fire didn't touch her, she darted underneath the flames when Drogon did throw fire at her, that's why only her hair was burned. Nobody has denied that the Targs or some of them seem to have a high tolerance to the heat, but not to fire. Did she actually say she didn't feel pain? I only recall her saying that it was the same than in the funeral pyre, that the fire had not touched her, but in this case it was true, the fire didn't touch her in the pit, so it wasn't actually the same situation.

Again ,the fire didn't touch her, she darted underneath the flames when Drogon did throw fire at her, that's why only her hair was burned. Nobody has denied that the Targs or some of them seem to have a high tolerance to the heat, but not to fire. Did she actually say she didn't feel pain? I only recall her saying that it was the same than in the funeral pyre, that the fire had not touched her, but in this case it was true, the fire didn't touch her in the pit, so it wasn't actually the same situation.

I think she's actually deluding herself as to how close the fire actually got. She could very well believe that the fire actually reached her, but it says plain as white rice that she went underneath it.

I think that most Targs have a level of fire proofness, but aren't imune to it.You get a dragon to blast you full on the in face,you're gonna fry.

Again, he was just breathing. There were no flames when he roared in her face.

Please explain the difference between being "fireproof" and being immune to fire, because they kind of sound like the same thing.

I think she's actually deluding herself as to how close the fire actually got. She could very well believe that the fire actually reached her, but it says plain as white rice that she went underneath it.

Yes, maybe, we can go back to the adrenalin again, it was a very stressful situation, she might not even remember how things happened for real :dunno:

Please explain the difference between being "fireproof" and being immune to fire, because they kind of sound like the same thing.

Completely Headless Ned's meaning is completely obvious in context. I think you are bending over backwards in a ridiculous attempt to pretend you do not understand him.

Sure, if one wanted to play word police, you could argue that he should have said "some level of fire-resistance" instead of "some level of fire-proofness". But what would be the point of such nit-pickery?

Completely Headless Ned's meaning is completely obvious in context. I think you are bending over backwards in a ridiculous attempt to pretend you do not understand him.

I understood him fine, thanks.

Sure, if one wanted to play word police, you could argue that he should have said "some level of fire-resistance" instead of "some level of fire-proofness". But what would be the point of such nit-pickery?

Words have meanings and if you use a word you should know what it means. If you think I'm being nit-picky or the word police ... ask me if I care.

Again, he was just breathing. There were no flames when he roared in her face.

I'm actually not sure, cause english is not my first language and maybe I'm getting it wrong, IIRC, immune to fire means that something cannot be damaged by fire, no matter the size or nature of the fire, while fireproof implies a "level" of tolerance from the material to the fire. Like the waterproof watches :P they are only waterproof till certain depths. But again, I could be wrong. Anyway I don't think is the case, high tolerance to heat? Yes, fireproof or immune to fire? I don't think so when you got burned only by hot breath with no fire.

I'm actually not sure, cause english is not my first language and maybe I'm getting it wrong, IIRC, immune to fire means that something cannot be damaged by fire, no matter the size or nature of the fire, while fireproof implies a "level" of tolerance from the material to the fire. Like the waterproof watches :P they are only waterproof till certain depths. But again, I could be wrong. Anyway I don't think is the case, high tolerance to heat? Yes, fireproof or immune to fire? I don't think so when you got burned only by hot breath with no fire.

Fireproof means something can withstand fire without getting damaged. For all intents and purposes, I consider it to be pretty much the same thing as being immune to fire. I would apply the level of tolerance test to the word "resistant," though. I'm a copy editor, it's literally my job to be a word fanatic. :P

Fireproof means something can withstand fire without getting damaged. For all intents and purposes, I consider it to be pretty much the same thing as being immune to fire. I would apply the level of tolerance test to the word "resistant," though. I'm a copy editor, it's literally my job to be a word fanatic. :P

You're probably right, I'm doing a literal translation from spanish where they could be two different things. I actually studied about this in college, but I needed to make some room in my brain when I started to read ASOIAF so I cannot recall the exact expression for the life of me :D

I think that most Targs have a level of fire proofness, but aren't imune to it.You get a dragon to blast you full on the in face,you're gonna fry.

Its definitely not most, Dany could be the only one for all I know - but there's no questioning she "has a level". I think GRRM is all over the TV series, so I don't think he would have allowed the egg not burining her hands if it couldn't happen in the book

Aside from GRRM stating that the pyre 'rebirth' was a one time magical event, aside from Dany being blistered... Aside from all the Targ's who've died in fire, near fire, with fire....

Dany burns her hand on a hot item in GOT. I'll track down the reference...

I'm actually not sure, cause english is not my first language and maybe I'm getting it wrong, IIRC, immune to fire means that something cannot be damaged by fire, no matter the size or nature of the fire, while fireproof implies a "level" of tolerance from the material to the fire.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends upon the intent of the speaker. But when the speaker goes to the trouble of saying "some LEVEL of fire-proofness", then all doubt is removed.

But very little in life is absolute, so if one were to insist on ABSOLUTE fire-immunity before anyone could use the phrase "fire-proof" (or the phrase "fire-immune"), then this would tend to to have the practical effect of banning such phrases from actual use.

Aside from GRRM stating that the pyre 'rebirth' was a one time magical event, aside from Dany being blistered... Aside from all the Targ's who've died in fire, near fire, with fire....

Dany burns her hand on a hot item in GOT. I'll track down the reference...

I'll send you flowers.

Archived