A Kraken sighting near Westeros

a free shadow

I have just finished the books and can not find a topic here about a kraken sighting in Westeros.

In A Storm of Swords Varys gives his report to Tywin and says:

“A kraken has been seen off the Fingers.” He giggled. “Not a Greyjoy, mind you, a true kraken. It attacked an Ibbenese whaler and pulled it under."

No one believes it, but we know that at least everything else Varys has in the same report was true. The wildlings were stirring and the dragons were hatched and no one believed it.

What else is there in all the books about krakens?

In A Clash of Kings Arya thinks that if she could have wings, she would fly home and "see all the things in Old Nan’s stories, dragons and sea monsters and the Titan of Braavos".

George Martin has implied before that Old Nan's stories have a lot of true in them. And we know that dragons and Titan of Braavos actually exist.

In A Storm of Swords Ser Jorah tells Dany that “In the Seven Kingdoms, there are tales of dragons who grew so huge that they could pluck giant krakens from the seas” and Salladhor Saan tells Davos that lord Celtigar of Claw Isle has or had "a magic horn to summon krakens from the deep."

I have two ideas how the krakens might come into the story. The first one is connected to the White Walkers. They seem not to be able to make use of ships, so maybe they could ride dead krakens into the battle? The second one is that someone will actually summon the krakens, but won't be able to control them. For example, the ironmen summon them, but their own longships are drowned.

Do you think there are krakens in the seas around Westeros? What purpose will they serve?

Maybe krakens will eat those dead things in the water Coter Pyke wrote about?

We just have to see at least one epic sea battle and I don't really mind if magic will be involved. Maybe krakens destroying whole fleet?

About Arya, I really hope that sentence is foreshadowing. She has already seen Titan, but I think that her sea monster may be one wearing human skin - meaning Euron.

I think it was Varys' way of making them doubt stories about the dragons. If every single sailor and merchant coming from Essos brings stories of dragons the Council might start putting some stock into them but if Varys starts telling them how Krakens and every other mythical creature has been seen they'll just think its lies and stories.

I think it was Varys' way of making them doubt stories about the dragons. If every single sailor and merchant coming from Essos brings stories of dragons the Council might start putting some stock into them but if Varys starts telling them how Krakens and every other mythical creature has been seen they'll just think its lies and stories.

I thought about it. I think I just want the books to tell some true, not only lies. And I think that almost none of the readers would pick up "Varys is lying" and it would be a wasted character twist. I am just betting on krakens.

I agree with this. Varys knew they would hear reports of dragons and did not want to look suspicuos not reporting on them, and he added other stories to make it seem ridiculous. Can you imagine Tywin believing all of this, not a chance. Btw I thought Varys said more possible bunk in that report besides the kraken and dragons, does anyone remember if there was more?

Now that dosen't mean we will not see a kraken, they have been mentioned enough to make us want to see one. Some speculate, with the dead things in the water at Hardhome, that we might see an undead / zombie kraken. :leer:

As stated, Varys talking of Krakens might be a diversion to discredit the Dragon Talk, but on the other hand, people know that Dragons exist(ed). They can see the Skulls in the Red Keep and 100 years (or so?) is not that long. Krakens on the other hand are much more mystical... But that doesn't mean anything.

I think the promised, but not read (to GRRM's disappointment) Aeron Damphair-Chapter would have shed a new light on the Drowned God-Magic of Krakens. We've seen that there's a truth behind the Old Gods of the North (even if they are not Gods) and the Fire Magic (or Rhollor?) is potent as well, so why not the Magic of the Sea? Maybe there are several kinds of Magic and as the Dragons are the beasts of Fire and the White Walkers those of Ice, the (special) Krakens are the beasts of Water (and the Children of the Forest those of the Earth?). Or maybe they are just really big animals. Either way, I would like to see/read of them ;)

I have two ideas how the krakens might come into the story. The first one is connected to the White Walkers. They seem not to be able to make use of ships, so maybe they could ride dead krakens into the battle? The second one is that someone will actually summon the krakens, but won't be able to control them. For example, the ironmen summon them, but their own longships are drowned.

Do you think there are krakens in the seas around Westeros? What purpose will they serve?

OK...if white walkers start "riding" krakens...I'm going to go all Misery on Martin and make him change it. Because, honestly...that's just too ludicrous. In no way, shape or form, are squid made to be ridden.

Yes, I think there are kraken. Just like there are kraken on earth. Will they actually be a bloody thirsty pack of killer cephalopods that can take down a ship? Gods, I hope not.

Are Krakens considered mythical in Westeros or just rare? I mean everyone believes dragons used to exist and are just extinct, but arent krakens supposed to still be around? Somebody els was talking about how one of the risks of sailing was that you could be pulled under by a kraken IIRC.

I would love to see a kraken honestly, I think the Ironborn are so badass and I love the greyjoy banner creature. Maybe we will see somebody take controll of one via skinchanging, or Euron will get this horn that is supposed to summon them.

About Arya, I really hope that sentence is foreshadowing. She has already seen Titan, but I think that her sea monster may be one wearing human skin - meaning Euron.

When Arya and Sandor Clegane were crossing the river the ship almost collided with a tree looking like "a kraken".

I think those dead thing are wight whales and they use them as shipreplacement

I know there should be a lot more than just krakens in the water, as Patchface says. But I thought I would just start with krakens.

Are Krakens considered mythical in Westeros or just rare? I mean everyone believes dragons used to exist and are just extinct, but arent krakens supposed to still be around? Somebody els was talking about how one of the risks of sailing was that you could be pulled under by a kraken IIRC.

Daenerys was thinking that a kraken can pull a ship under. When looking for excuses not to go to Westeros once and for all :P

When Arya and Sandor Clegane were crossing the river the ship almost collided with a tree looking like "a kraken".

Yeah, but the sentence says sea monster which may be a kraken, and this would be a "river monster" not the same thing at all :)

I would love to see a kraken honestly, I think the Ironborn are so badass and I love the greyjoy banner creature. Maybe we will see somebody take controll of one via skinchanging, or Euron will get this horn that is supposed to summon them.

I believe the kindly man mentions it to Arya when explaining about the ship binders.

Yeah, but the sentence says sea monster which may be a kraken, and this would be a "river monster" not the same thing at all :)

Yes :lol: I am just going with your point that Arya is hinted to meet a kraken sometime later. It might be a Greyjoy or it might be a real kraken.

As stated, Varys talking of Krakens might be a diversion to discredit the Dragon Talk, but on the other hand, people know that Dragons exist(ed). They can see the Skulls in the Red Keep and 100 years (or so?) is not that long. Krakens on the other hand are much more mystical... But that doesn't mean anything.

I think the promised, but not read (to GRRM's disappointment) Aeron Damphair-Chapter would have shed a new light on the Drowned God-Magic of Krakens. We've seen that there's a truth behind the Old Gods of the North (even if they are not Gods) and the Fire Magic (or Rhollor?) is potent as well, so why not the Magic of the Sea? Maybe there are several kinds of Magic and as the Dragons are the beasts of Fire and the White Walkers those of Ice, the (special) Krakens are the beasts of Water (and the Children of the Forest those of the Earth?). Or maybe they are just really big animals. Either way, I would like to see/read of them ;)

Krakens are squids, the lame way leviathans are whales. i'm pretty sure those are real.

Archived